Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > cpu upgrade advice please?

cpu upgrade advice please?

risc

I am looking to build a new machine on a low tight budget and so cannot
consider either of the new cpu's from intel & amd i.e the core 2 and the x2
respectively. Using the cpu charts on toms hardware guide I can see that the
pentium d 820 is by far the best choice in terms of the type of performance
I want, far better than the price equivalent amd cpu but what worries me is
all the stuff i have heard about heat problems with the intel chips, despite
the hours i have spent so far trying to find out about this i am really none
the wiser, I get the impression that it was more the standard p4's of higher
clock speeds that were the problem, an archive search of nz.comp on the
pentium d cpu and heat turned up zero hits so can I assume there were no
real issues with this cpu in regards to heat, I understand that it ran
hotter than the amd's but as long as it did not have problems with
overheating with standard cooling solutions etc..., instability, throttling
down because of heat.

Anyhow after spending much time trying to clarify this issue with my own
searches I am now hoping I can get some good advice here because my own
searches have been of little help, so if anyone has any good or bad
practical experience with the pentium d 820 I would really appreciate
hearing about it. By the way my current cpu is an ancient pentium3 500, so
that has been my last experience with cpu's etc... so this is why I need
some advice from people with more recent experience.

impossible

"risc" <risc@cisc> wrote in message news:45d0f018$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking to build a new machine on a low tight budget and so
>cannot
> consider either of the new cpu's from intel & amd i.e the core 2 and
> the x2
> respectively. Using the cpu charts on toms hardware guide I can see
> that the
> pentium d 820 is by far the best choice in terms of the type of
> performance
> I want, far better than the price equivalent amd cpu but what
> worries me is
> all the stuff i have heard about heat problems with the intel chips,
> despite
> the hours i have spent so far trying to find out about this i am
> really none
> the wiser, I get the impression that it was more the standard p4's
> of higher
> clock speeds that were the problem, an archive search of nz.comp on
> the
> pentium d cpu and heat turned up zero hits so can I assume there
> were no
> real issues with this cpu in regards to heat, I understand that it
> ran
> hotter than the amd's but as long as it did not have problems with
> overheating with standard cooling solutions etc..., instability,
> throttling
> down because of heat.
>
> Anyhow after spending much time trying to clarify this issue with my
> own
> searches I am now hoping I can get some good advice here because my
> own
> searches have been of little help, so if anyone has any good or bad
> practical experience with the pentium d 820 I would really
> appreciate
> hearing about it. By the way my current cpu is an ancient pentium3
> 500, so
> that has been my last experience with cpu's etc... so this is why I
> need
> some advice from people with more recent experience.

I've never heard of any stability issues with the Pentium D. But power
consumption is *very high* for the early models like the 820 --
higher, for example, than a Pentium 4 3000. So be sure that your
fan/heatsink is properly installed and that your box has generally
good ventilation -- and avoid the temptation to overclock, if that's
even possible with these chips. In the brief interlude before the X2s
and Core2 Duos came online, the Pentium D's were getting pretty good
reviews, performance-wise, so if you've gotten a good price and aren't
too concerned about power consumption, then you'll probably be happy
with your choice.

impossible

"risc" <risc@cisc> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> said i don't really know what is normal these days, with my p3 500
> cpu I
> don't need any case fans just the fan on the powersupply and cpu, is
> a case
> fan a necessity these days? I have heard lot's of murmurings in
> recent times
> about problems keeping modern cpu's cool, cases needing special
> ducting and
> maybe even water cooling, i don't want to have to resort to these
> means. I
> should say that I don't plan to put a high power graphics card in, I
> wonder
> if it is the use of multiple high power graphics cards that have led
> to the
> cooling problems i have heard about rather than the cpu, I will
> probably
> just stick to the motherboards onboard graphics.

Without at least one case fan, you're probably asking for trouble with
almost any cpu these days. A standard fan/heatsink asseembly can do
the job of moving heat directly away from the cpu itself, but unless
you have some way to circulate cooler air into the box, the ambient
temperature will just keep on climbing, and over time the chances of
component failure -- cpu, gpu, hard drive -- can't help but increase.
The power-supply fan doesn't compensate at all since it's designed (at
best) to move just enough air directly away from the psu to keep that
component from failing -- meanwhile more heat radiates away from the
psu into your box. Depending on how your box is constructed, you
could always consider leaving one panel off and so circulate the air
"naturally" But there is an obvious hazard in doing this, so I
really wouldn't recommend it. Better to bite the bullet and either
install a case fan (if there's a cutout provided for this with the
box) or consider getting a new case altogether. I realize you're on a
tight budget, but even the cheapest new cases nowadays will come
equipped with suitable ventilation -- plus you'll almost certainly end
up with a more rugged power supply than you have now, which would be a
very good thing for overall stability.

risc

> [...]

> The power-supply fan doesn't compensate at all since it's designed (at
> best) to move just enough air directly away from the psu to keep that
> component from failing -- meanwhile more heat radiates away from the
> psu into your box. Depending on how your box is constructed, you
> could always consider leaving one panel off and so circulate the air
> "naturally" But there is an obvious hazard in doing this, so I
> really wouldn't recommend it. Better to bite the bullet and either
> install a case fan (if there's a cutout provided for this with the
> box) or consider getting a new case altogether. I realize you're on a
> tight budget, but even the cheapest new cases nowadays will come
> equipped with suitable ventilation -- plus you'll almost certainly end
> up with a more rugged power supply than you have now, which would be a

Thanks, that clears some things up.
I am still confused over whether the pentium d 820 is the way to go, going
by toms hardware cpu charts it certainly is but this article I just found
tells a different story http://www.manicgeeks.com/viewstory.php?id=137
Of course I would need to find more than one person saying this because you
can never know whether they just stuffed up in someway.

risc

> [...]

> > really wouldn't recommend it. Better to bite the bullet and either
> > install a case fan (if there's a cutout provided for this with the
> > box) or consider getting a new case altogether. I realize you're on a
> > tight budget, but even the cheapest new cases nowadays will come
> > equipped with suitable ventilation -- plus you'll almost certainly end
> > up with a more rugged power supply than you have now, which would be a
> > very good thing for overall stability.
> >

> Thanks, that clears some things up.
> I am still confused over whether the pentium d 820 is the way to go, going
> by toms hardware cpu charts it certainly is but this article I just found
> tells a different story http://www.manicgeeks.com/viewstory.php?id=137
> Of course I would need to find more than one person saying this because

you
> can never know whether they just stuffed up in someway.

And then you get sites like this
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=391 saying the 820 does not
really get hot, all bloody confusing, I don't seem to be able to get a
definite answer on this as I keep seeing contradictory statements on
different websites, makes you wonder about the reliability of some of the
info out there.

risc

> [...]

> > really wouldn't recommend it. Better to bite the bullet and either
> > install a case fan (if there's a cutout provided for this with the
> > box) or consider getting a new case altogether. I realize you're on a
> > tight budget, but even the cheapest new cases nowadays will come
> > equipped with suitable ventilation -- plus you'll almost certainly end
> > up with a more rugged power supply than you have now, which would be a
> > very good thing for overall stability.
> >

> Thanks, that clears some things up.
> I am still confused over whether the pentium d 820 is the way to go, going
> by toms hardware cpu charts it certainly is but this article I just found
> tells a different story http://www.manicgeeks.com/viewstory.php?id=137
> Of course I would need to find more than one person saying this because

you
> can never know whether they just stuffed up in someway.

I have found at least 2 sites that say that cpu throttling is removed from
the 820 chip so what is the story on manicgeeks talking about?

impossible

"risc" <risc@cisc> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "risc" <risc@cisc> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> > "risc" <risc@cisc> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Without at least one case fan, you're probably asking for trouble
>> > with
>> > almost any cpu these days. A standard fan/heatsink asseembly can
>> > do
>> > the job of moving heat directly away from the cpu itself, but
>> > unless
>> > you have some way to circulate cooler air into the box, the
>> > ambient
>> > temperature will just keep on climbing, and over time the chances
>> > of
>> > component failure -- cpu, gpu, hard drive -- can't help but
>> > increase.
>> > The power-supply fan doesn't compensate at all since it's
>> > designed (at
>> > best) to move just enough air directly away from the psu to keep
>> > that
>> > component from failing -- meanwhile more heat radiates away from
>> > the
>> > psu into your box. Depending on how your box is constructed, you
>> > could always consider leaving one panel off and so circulate the
>> > air
>> > "naturally" But there is an obvious hazard in doing this, so I
>> > really wouldn't recommend it. Better to bite the bullet and
>> > either
>> > install a case fan (if there's a cutout provided for this with
>> > the
>> > box) or consider getting a new case altogether. I realize you're
>> > on a
>> > tight budget, but even the cheapest new cases nowadays will come
>> > equipped with suitable ventilation -- plus you'll almost
>> > certainly end
>> > up with a more rugged power supply than you have now, which would
>> > be a
>> > very good thing for overall stability.
>> >

>> Thanks, that clears some things up.
>> I am still confused over whether the pentium d 820 is the way to
>> go, going
>> by toms hardware cpu charts it certainly is but this article I just
>> found
>> tells a different story
>> http://www.manicgeeks.com/viewstory.php?id=137
>> Of course I would need to find more than one person saying this
>> because

> you
>> can never know whether they just stuffed up in someway.
>>

> I have found at least 2 sites that say that cpu throttling is
> removed from
> the 820 chip so what is the story on manicgeeks talking about?

It's good to read many different opinions. But in the end, what you
really want to see are the kind of benchmarks that Tom's Hardware and
Anand Tech posts, because then you get to make an objective
performance comparison. If someone's idea of "serious shortcomings" in
cpu architecture turns out to be a real-world difference of 3% in
running time on the sort of applications you intend to run, then you'd
probably be justified in saying to yourself, "Who cares?"
Alternatively, if the difference is 30%, then you really might want to
take another look. Same goes for issues of power consumption: How many
watts exactly? Under what conditions? These are the kind of questions
that only well-designed benchmarks can answer. Reviews that are
unsupported by benchmarks require a level of trust in the source that
is often very difficult to justify.

jasen

On 2007-02-12, risc <risc@cisc> wrote:
> I am looking to build a new machine on a low tight budget

why? woudn't a used one work better?

--

Bye.
Jasen

Dianthus Mimulus

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 11:54:43 +1300, risc wrote:

> I am looking to build a new machine on a low tight budget and so cannot
> consider either of the new cpu's from intel & amd i.e the core 2 and the x2
> respectively. Using the cpu charts on toms hardware guide I can see that the
> pentium d 820 is by far the best choice in terms of the type of performance
> I want, far better than the price equivalent amd cpu but what worries me is
> all the stuff i have heard about heat problems with the intel chips, despite
> the hours i have spent so far trying to find out about this i am really none
> the wiser, I get the impression that it was more the standard p4's of higher
> clock speeds that were the problem, an archive search of nz.comp on the
> pentium d cpu and heat turned up zero hits so can I assume there were no
> real issues with this cpu in regards to heat, I understand that it ran
> hotter than the amd's but as long as it did not have problems with
> overheating with standard cooling solutions etc..., instability, throttling
> down because of heat.
>
> Anyhow after spending much time trying to clarify this issue with my own
> searches I am now hoping I can get some good advice here because my own
> searches have been of little help, so if anyone has any good or bad
> practical experience with the pentium d 820 I would really appreciate
> hearing about it. By the way my current cpu is an ancient pentium3 500, so
> that has been my last experience with cpu's etc... so this is why I need
> some advice from people with more recent experience.

AMD have recently anounced price reductions - up to nearly 40% on some
models - across their entire range of desktop 64bit CPUs.

Also, AMD offer better performance per watt of electricity consumed.

What do you want? Pure clock speed (Intel)? or best value performance for
operating cost (AMD)?

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918

impossible

"jasen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eqs2hg$oup$(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.org...
> On 2007-02-12, risc <risc@cisc> wrote:
>> I am looking to build a new machine on a low tight budget

> why? woudn't a used one work better?

Ridiculous question. Why would you assume that? The OP specified a
Pentium D820 as his performance reference point. Just what overpriced
chips in the second-hand, anybody's-guess-what-shape-it's-in market
did you have in mind that would "work better"?