Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ PC World Gone?

NZ PC World Gone?

Rob

I have been trying to access the pc world website since saturday at
www.pcworld.co.nz , but it appears to have disappeared into thin air. When I
have checked the website with alertra, it showns an error. Anyone know if
they have gone out of business or have changed their name.

Stuart

"Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:1171270132.42108@ftpsrv1...
>I have been trying to access the pc world website since saturday at
>www.pcworld.co.nz , but it appears to have disappeared into thin air. When
>I have checked the website with alertra, it showns an error. Anyone know if
>they have gone out of business or have changed their name.

They were moving buildings. They were back up this afternoon but appear to
be down again. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be back soon.

Stuart

Rob

"Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eqpbc8$99p$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:1171270132.42108@ftpsrv1...
>>I have been trying to access the pc world website since saturday at
>>www.pcworld.co.nz , but it appears to have disappeared into thin air. When
>>I have checked the website with alertra, it showns an error. Anyone know
>>if they have gone out of business or have changed their name.

> They were moving buildings. They were back up this afternoon but appear to
> be down again. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be back soon.
>
> Stuart

Moving offices affects their website? Sounds weird, I would have thought
they would host their website on webservers in a datacentre, rather than in
their office. It doesn't look good for a professional business to have their
website down while they move offices, I would have thought they would have
at least had a contingency so there was no downtime.

whome

"Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:1171273409.833167@ftpsrv1...

> "Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eqpbc8$99p$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>I have been trying to access the pc world website since saturday at
>>>www.pcworld.co.nz , but it appears to have disappeared into thin air.
>>>When I have checked the website with alertra, it showns an error. Anyone
>>>know if they have gone out of business or have changed their name.

>> They were moving buildings. They were back up this afternoon but appear
>> to be down again. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be back soon.
>>
>> Stuart
>>

> Moving offices affects their website? Sounds weird, I would have thought
> they would host their website on webservers in a datacentre, rather than
> in their office. It doesn't look good for a professional business to have
> their website down while they move offices, I would have thought they
> would have at least had a contingency so there was no downtime.

this is NZ dude. THe land of small biz.

Enkidu

Rob wrote:

> Moving offices affects their website? Sounds weird, I would have
> thought they would host their website on webservers in a datacentre,
> rather than in their office. It doesn't look good for a professional
> business to have their website down while they move offices, I would
> have thought they would have at least had a contingency so there was
> no downtime.

I've moved offices for a small organisation twice now. We had our own
servers and after looking at the options went for a two hour outage.
Switching to a contingency setup and back again in a reasonable time
frame was a) expensive, and b) problematical. Many smallish IT firms
have an air conditioned, power protected server room which while it
might not survive a major or a serious disaster would cope with minor
problems. Sounds like PC World hare a similar sort of setup.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Vista

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d0ce25$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rob wrote:
>>
>> Moving offices affects their website? Sounds weird, I would have thought
>> they would host their website on webservers in a datacentre,
>> rather than in their office. It doesn't look good for a professional
>> business to have their website down while they move offices, I would
>> have thought they would have at least had a contingency so there was
>> no downtime.
>>

> I've moved offices for a small organisation twice now. We had our own
> servers and after looking at the options went for a two hour outage.
> Switching to a contingency setup and back again in a reasonable time
> frame was a) expensive, and b) problematical. Many smallish IT firms
> have an air conditioned, power protected server room which while it
> might not survive a major or a serious disaster would cope with minor
> problems. Sounds like PC World hare a similar sort of setup.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --
>
> Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
> 'hilarious', it usually isn't?

But aren't PC World part of Fairfax, which is a very large company.It seems
to be back up now.

Shane

Vista wrote:

> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45d0ce25$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Rob wrote:
>>>
>>> Moving offices affects their website? Sounds weird, I would have thought
>>> they would host their website on webservers in a datacentre,
>>> rather than in their office. It doesn't look good for a professional
>>> business to have their website down while they move offices, I would
>>> have thought they would have at least had a contingency so there was
>>> no downtime.
>>>

>> I've moved offices for a small organisation twice now. We had our own
>> servers and after looking at the options went for a two hour outage.
>> Switching to a contingency setup and back again in a reasonable time
>> frame was a) expensive, and b) problematical. Many smallish IT firms
>> have an air conditioned, power protected server room which while it
>> might not survive a major or a serious disaster would cope with minor
>> problems. Sounds like PC World hare a similar sort of setup.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Cliff
>>
>> --
>>
>> Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
>> 'hilarious', it usually isn't?
>>

> But aren't PC World part of Fairfax, which is a very large company.It
> seems to be back up now.

$ host pcworld.co.nz
pcworld.co.nz has address 210.48.100.25
pcworld.co.nz mail is handled by 20 etrn.iconz.co.nz.
pcworld.co.nz mail is handled by 10 d2s.iconz.net.

$ whois 210.48.100.25
% [whois.apnic.net node-2]
% Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum: 210.48.0.0 - 210.48.127.255
netname: ICONZ-NZ
descr: ICONZ, Internet Service Provider
<snip>
notify: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
mnt-by: APNIC-HM
mnt-lower: MAINT-NZ-ICONZ
status: ALLOCATED PORTABLE
<snip>

Stuart

Latest blog post from Chris Keall on their site says that their firewall and
file server went down.

Stuart

jasen

On 2007-02-12, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:

> $ host pcworld.co.nz
> pcworld.co.nz has address 210.48.100.25
> pcworld.co.nz mail is handled by 20 etrn.iconz.co.nz.
> pcworld.co.nz mail is handled by 10 d2s.iconz.net.
>
> $ whois 210.48.100.25
> % [whois.apnic.net node-2]
> % Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html
>
> inetnum: 210.48.0.0 - 210.48.127.255
> netname: ICONZ-NZ
> descr: ICONZ, Internet Service Provider
><snip>
> notify: (E-Mail Removed)
> mnt-by: APNIC-HM
> mnt-lower: MAINT-NZ-ICONZ
> status: ALLOCATED PORTABLE
><snip>

compare with thia:
..
.. $ whois 210.48.82.11
..
.. % [whois.apnic.net node-1]
.. % Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html
..
.. inetnum: 210.48.0.0 - 210.48.127.255
.. netname: ICONZ-NZ
..

Thhe above IP is a DSL service to Manchester Street Christchurch.
(where I work)

that said, I don't think 210.48.100.25 is DSL service.

..
.. $ host 210.48.100.25
.. 25.100.48.210.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ip-210-48-100-25.iconz.net.nz.
..
.. $ host 210.48.82.11
.. 11.82.48.210.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer p11.adsl2.iconz.net.nz.
..

Bye.
Jasen