Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Copyleft - A stupid term?

Copyleft - A stupid term?

Gordy

I see some computer software gurus using the term Copyleft where they
give up their protection by Copyright.

Wouldn't Copyfree be a more suitable term?

Cheers

Gordy

peterwn

On Feb 12, 11:29 am, Gordy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I see some computer software gurus using the term Copyleft where they
> give up their protection by Copyright.
>
> Wouldn't Copyfree be a more suitable term?

No, because software covered by the GNU General Public Licence is not
totally free in the public domain.

Moreover the open source community like to come up with zany names and
acronyms.

For example the open source version of PGP ('pretty good privacy'
cypher system) is called GPG (Gnu Privacy Guard).

I will leave it to you to Google 'gnu'.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I see some computer software gurus using the term Copyleft where they
>give up their protection by Copyright.
>
>Wouldn't Copyfree be a more suitable term?

Suggest you actually read the copy notice and spot the obvious difference
beore commenting.

Dianthus Mimulus

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:29:24 +1300, Gordy wrote:

> I see some computer software gurus using the term Copyleft where they
> give up their protection by Copyright.
>
> Wouldn't Copyfree be a more suitable term?

No.

Because with Copyleft the copyright holder does retain full rights to the
material being copylefted. It's just that the copyleft holder is granting
the right to use or to copy provided certain conditions are met. For
example, the GPL is a copyleft licence.

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918

Nicolaas Hawkins

On 12 Feb 2007 18:27:19 +1300, Dianthus Mimulus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:29:24 +1300, Gordy wrote:
>
>> I see some computer software gurus using the term Copyleft where they
>> give up their protection by Copyright.
>>
>> Wouldn't Copyfree be a more suitable term?

> No.
>
> Because with Copyleft the copyright holder does retain full rights to the
> material being copylefted. It's just that the copyleft holder is granting
> the right to use or to copy provided certain conditions are met. For
> example, the GPL is a copyleft licence.

I should expect that the "copyleft" terms and conditions would be
completely unenforceable in court as they would have no legal standing in
and of themselves. I should be delighted to be proven wrong by a legal
cite valid in this country.

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... Home is where the 127.0.0.1 is.

Earl Grey

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:58:12 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

> I should expect that the "copyleft" terms and conditions would be
> completely unenforceable in court as they would have no legal standing in
> and of themselves. I should be delighted to be proven wrong by a legal
> cite valid in this country.

The copyright is as valid as any other copyright agreement under the Berne
Convention.

jasen

On 2007-02-11, Gordy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I see some computer software gurus using the term Copyleft where they
> give up their protection by Copyright.

I've never seen that. Usually by copyleft a specific sort of copyright is
implied.

> Wouldn't Copyfree be a more suitable term?

do you mean public domain?

--

Bye.
Jasen

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:06:00 +1300, Earl Grey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news(E-Mail Removed)>:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:58:12 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>

>> I should expect that the "copyleft" terms and conditions would be
>> completely unenforceable in court as they would have no legal standing in
>> and of themselves. I should be delighted to be proven wrong by a legal
>> cite valid in this country.

> The copyright is as valid as any other copyright agreement under the Berne
> Convention.

We are not discussing "copyright." here.

--
Nicolaas

Earl Grey

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:07:55 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:06:00 +1300, Earl Grey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <news(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:58:12 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>>

>>> I should expect that the "copyleft" terms and conditions would be
>>> completely unenforceable in court as they would have no legal standing in
>>> and of themselves. I should be delighted to be proven wrong by a legal
>>> cite valid in this country.

>> The copyright is as valid as any other copyright agreement under the Berne
>> Convention.

> We are not discussing "copyright." here.

Yes we are, the rights conferred under the copyleft licences are
conditional, if you don't comply with the conditions the agreement reverts
to standard copyright conditions

Dianthus Mimulus

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:58:12 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

> I should expect that the "copyleft" terms and conditions would be
> completely unenforceable in court as they would have no legal standing in
> and of themselves.

Why?

The GPL has been tested several times overseas - including in countries
such as the USA where they have particularly draconian copyright laws
- and has prevailed utterly unscathed.

And yet the GPL is a copyleft license.

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918

Copyright & Copyleft Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 21 08-02-2009 09:20 PM
stupid question...waiting for a stupid answer Brandon McCombs Java 4 08-28-2006 06:57 PM
stupid stupid stupid kpg MCSE 17 11-26-2004 02:59 PM
Stupid is as Stupid Does! Michael P Gabriel Digital Photography 3 06-26-2004 12:49 PM

Advertisments