Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Netgear wgr614 v5 and HP DV1175US Laptop will not talk.

Netgear wgr614 v5 and HP DV1175US Laptop will not talk.

=?Utf-8?B?SHVudGVyIEI=?=

I am unable to get these two devices to talk to each other. I enabled
Wireless Zero Service to automatic at startup after getting the error to
enable the service. I have configured both devices as per Barb's informative
document on how to setup a Secure Wireless connection (using WPA-PSK). I
have the laptop sitting on the desk next to the wireless router and it still
does not see ANY wireless networks. The router has SPI and NAT. I don't know
if this makes a difference. Are there additional settings that need to be
added or removed? I set it up with a unique ID(20 characters) and passcode
(23 characters). I went over the settings twice(copied into wordpad and
pasted into each field). The laptop will connect to the internet if
connected directly via a cable. Is it just that the laptop wireless
connection is not capable of handling WPA-PSK even though it says it is?
Should I just get the Netgear adaptor and disable the on board wireless? Do
you think that the hardware needs an update on the laptop for the wireless
connection? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Li'l Roberto

Best to start with minimal security settings, then beef it up once
you have a good solid connection, have you tried using a WAP key
instead of WPA-PSK?.

rgds
Li'l Roberto

"Hunter B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am unable to get these two devices to talk to each other. I enabled
> Wireless Zero Service to automatic at startup after getting the error
> enable the service. I have configured both devices as per Barb's
> informative
> document on how to setup a Secure Wireless connection (using WPA-PSK).
> have the laptop sitting on the desk next to the wireless router and it
> still
> does not see ANY wireless networks. The router has SPI and NAT. I
> don't know
> if this makes a difference. Are there additional settings that need
> to be
> added or removed? I set it up with a unique ID(20 characters) and
> passcode
> (23 characters). I went over the settings twice(copied into wordpad
> and
> pasted into each field). The laptop will connect to the internet if
> connected directly via a cable. Is it just that the laptop wireless
> connection is not capable of handling WPA-PSK even though it says it
> is?
> Should I just get the Netgear adaptor and disable the on board
> wireless? Do
> you think that the hardware needs an update on the laptop for the
> wireless
> connection? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?QkFS?=

Start first by checking how Netgear suggests that it be confgured, usually
from sofwtare via the Laptop.

Then go ahead and make your required changes.

If you can't get it to work, then at least help is at the other end of the
phone from Netgear's Tech Support.

"Hunter B" wrote:

> I am unable to get these two devices to talk to each other. I enabled
> Wireless Zero Service to automatic at startup after getting the error to
> enable the service. I have configured both devices as per Barb's informative
> document on how to setup a Secure Wireless connection (using WPA-PSK). I
> have the laptop sitting on the desk next to the wireless router and it still
> does not see ANY wireless networks. The router has SPI and NAT. I don't know
> if this makes a difference. Are there additional settings that need to be
> added or removed? I set it up with a unique ID(20 characters) and passcode
> (23 characters). I went over the settings twice(copied into wordpad and
> pasted into each field). The laptop will connect to the internet if
> connected directly via a cable. Is it just that the laptop wireless
> connection is not capable of handling WPA-PSK even though it says it is?
> Should I just get the Netgear adaptor and disable the on board wireless? Do
> you think that the hardware needs an update on the laptop for the wireless
> connection? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi
May be this can Help.
Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Hunter B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am unable to get these two devices to talk to each other. I enabled
> Wireless Zero Service to automatic at startup after getting the error to
> enable the service. I have configured both devices as per Barb's

informative
> document on how to setup a Secure Wireless connection (using WPA-PSK). I
> have the laptop sitting on the desk next to the wireless router and it

still
> does not see ANY wireless networks. The router has SPI and NAT. I don't

know
> if this makes a difference. Are there additional settings that need to be
> added or removed? I set it up with a unique ID(20 characters) and

passcode
> (23 characters). I went over the settings twice(copied into wordpad and
> pasted into each field). The laptop will connect to the internet if
> connected directly via a cable. Is it just that the laptop wireless
> connection is not capable of handling WPA-PSK even though it says it is?
> Should I just get the Netgear adaptor and disable the on board wireless?

Do
> you think that the hardware needs an update on the laptop for the wireless
> connection? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?SHVudGVyIEI=?=

Thank you for the links and thanks to Li'l Roberto and Bar for their input
too. My problem was I went for the highest setting expecting it to work,
but should have realized that i should start with minimal security and build
on it. My wife always says... Baby steps....I will give this a try and give
an update.