Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Advice on buying an "Upgrade Box"

Advice on buying an "Upgrade Box"

Shane

~misfit~ wrote:

> Shane wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:

>> > What on Earth makes you think the OP seems to know wthe exact parts
>> > he wants? He specifically states: "people like myself who don't
>> > have the expertise to (for example) evaluate one motherboard
>> > against another." To me that suggests entirely the opposite.
>> > Suggesting he builds his own PC is a bit wide of the mark don't you
>> > think?

>> This seems fairly specific to me,
>>
>> I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
>> motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a
>> Seagate 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer

> LOL!! That's specific because he read it off a website as an example of
> the range he's looking for.

Its all I had to go on when I started
(And all that he needs)

noddy

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:02:52 +1300, John S <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
>powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
>installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
>partition. I already have the operating system software.
>
>I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
>motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
>80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of $600.
>No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard and DVD
>writer.
>
>However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
>dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
>
>I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who are
>into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
>reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
>(for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
>
>I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so that
>I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I have
>ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing computer).
>
>I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
>Cheers,
>
>John S

Check out TasTech Computers - www.tastech.co.nz - in Chch.
The guy has been supplying me at good prices for the past 8 years or
so. What he lacks in salesmanship he makes up for in reliability and
honesty. A phone chat to him will soon show you whether or not he
meets your requirements re helpfulness.

Enkidu

John S wrote:
> For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
> powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
> installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
> partition. I already have the operating system software.
>
> I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
> motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
> 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of $600.
> No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard and DVD
> writer.

80GB? Can you still buy them?

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Rob

"noddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:02:52 +1300, John S <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
>>powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
>>installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
>>partition. I already have the operating system software.
>>
>>I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
>>motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
>>80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of
>>$600.
>>No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard and DVD
>>writer.
>>
>>However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
>>dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
>>
>>I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who
>>are
>>into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
>>reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
>>(for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
>>
>>I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so
>>that
>>I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I have
>>ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing computer).
>>
>>I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>John S

> Check out TasTech Computers - www.tastech.co.nz - in Chch.
> The guy has been supplying me at good prices for the past 8 years or
> so. What he lacks in salesmanship he makes up for in reliability and
> honesty. A phone chat to him will soon show you whether or not he
> meets your requirements re helpfulness.

Of course you can, you can still get 40GB ones too. I have heard that the
smaller drives can be more reliable too.

John S

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:02:52 +1300, John S wrote:

> I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who are
> into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
> reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
> (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.

Just following up my own post to say thanks for the suggestions offered.

Already I've got four different suppliers to check out, and I hadn't
thought of searching out the components separately on PriceSpy and doing an
assembly job.

Will quietly go off and do some homework.

Thanks to all.

Cheers,

John S

Mackin_NZ

The Other Guy wrote:

> Mackin_NZ wrote:
>> Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker on them
>> that forbids you opening the case without voiding the warranty.
>> I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the
>> hassle
>> that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a bit.

> I'm not familiar with the upgrade boxes, or the pre-assembled package
> deals they offer, but in 12 years of dealing with them, I've never had
> any such labels placed on systems we've purchased from them.
>
> There *might* have been a sticker on the box I got for my neighbour
> about a year ago, although I may be getting it confused with an Acer I
> upgraded for someone else. Other than an HP box, the closest I have ever
> seen from any PC assembler is a sticker saying the warranty would be
> voided if damaged by someone who was unqualified to be doing work on the
> system.
>
>> My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go wrong with
>> Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the machine of your
>> choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.

> Ascent is good, although their prices are usually not quite as good as
> PB Tech. We use them when PB Tech does not have items in stock.
>
> The Other Guy

About a month ago I visited their Penrose store and bought an "Upgrade Box"
which they handed me already packaged up. When I got home and opened it
there was the offending sticker on the case. I promptly returned it for a
refund.

I think these stickers prohibiting you from opening the box are a fairly new
thing.

Mackin.

jasen

On 2007-02-09, Mackin_NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The Other Guy wrote:
>
> I think these stickers prohibiting you from opening the box are a fairly new
> thing.

they were invented shortly after gum arabic was discovered, before that wax
seals were used

I've seen them (or the remains) on pcs manufactured in the 80s.

Bye.
Jasen

jasen

On 2007-02-09, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John S wrote:
>> For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
>> powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
>> installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
>> partition. I already have the operating system software.
>>
>> I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
>> motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
>> 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of $600.
>> No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard and DVD
>> writer.
>>

> 80GB? Can you still buy them?

In 2.5" yes, a bit harder to find in 3.5".

Bye.
Jasen

~misfit~

jasen wrote:
> On 2007-02-09, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > John S wrote:
> > > For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my
> > > computer powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an
> > > upgrade box and installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu
> > > linux on a separate partition. I already have the operating
> > > system software.
> > >
> > > I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic
> > > Intel motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G
> > > with a Seagate 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for
> > > something in excess of $600. No software included apart from that
> > > bundled with the motherboard and DVD writer.
> > >

> > 80GB? Can you still buy them?

> In 2.5" yes, a bit harder to find in 3.5".

'Ware the wrap:

http://www.eoneonline.co.nz/shop/COM...2MB+cache.html

http://www.eoneonline.co.nz/shop/COM...STAT2+HDD.html

http://www.oemcomputers.co.nz/produc...?product_id=42

http://www.oemcomputers.co.nz/produc...?product_id=49

http://www.qmb.co.nz/c.aspx?c=Hardwa...DD&ss=80GB+HDD

That last URL list no less than 7 different 80GB HDDs for sale. All URLs
from the first three sites I visited. I don't see the point in going through
anymore of my bookmarked hardware suppliers.

Seems that they're not that hard to find at all. Quite the contrary.
--
Shaun.

Advice on Buying Lee Davison Computer Support 3 07-04-2004 07:33 AM
Buying advice (ds3 equipment) bumba Cisco 7 05-01-2004 11:44 PM
Buying advice Tomek Dudziak Cisco 1 04-18-2004 03:32 PM
Hard disk buying advice needed rednose Computer Support 4 09-27-2003 10:22 PM
Buying a new system. I have 4 video card choices. Need advice. RossColter@no.mail.here Computer Support 1 08-02-2003 07:59 AM

Advertisments