Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Advice on buying an "Upgrade Box"

Advice on buying an "Upgrade Box"

John S

For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
partition. I already have the operating system software.

I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of $600.
No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard and DVD
writer.

However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.

I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who are
into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
(for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.

I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so that
I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I have
ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing computer).

I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers,

John S

Allistar

John S wrote:

> For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
> powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
> installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
> partition. I already have the operating system software.
>
> I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
> motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
> 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of
> $600. No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard
> and DVD writer.
>
> However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
> dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
>
> I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who
> are into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
> reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
> (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
>
> I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so
> that I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I
> have ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing
> computer).
>
> I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John S

I've never had issues with Ascent (www.ascent.co.nz). (Purchased an upgrade
from them just last week).

Also oem computers "www.oemcomputers.co.nz" do upgrade kits (I bought one
about 6 years ago from them).

Allistar.

Mackin_NZ

John S wrote:

> For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
> powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
> installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
> partition. I already have the operating system software.
>
> I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
> motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
> 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of
> $600. No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard
> and DVD writer.
>
> However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
> dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
>
> I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who
> are into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
> reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
> (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
>
> I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so
> that I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I
> have ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing
> computer).
>
> I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John S

Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker on them
that forbids you opening the case without voiding the warranty.

I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the hassle
that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a bit.

My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go wrong with
Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the machine of your
choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.

Mackin

Shane

Mackin_NZ wrote:

> John S wrote:
>
>> For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my
>> computer powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade
>> box and installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a
>> separate
>> partition. I already have the operating system software.
>>
>> I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
>> motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
>> 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of
>> $600. No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard
>> and DVD writer.
>>
>> However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
>> dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
>>
>> I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who
>> are into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
>> reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
>> (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
>>
>> I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so
>> that I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I
>> have ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing
>> computer).
>>
>> I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> John S

> Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker on them
> that forbids you opening the case without voiding the warranty.
>
> I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the
> hassle
> that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a bit.
>
> My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go wrong with
> Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the machine of your
> choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.
>
> Mackin

Seeing as the OP seems to know the exact parts he wants, another option
would be off to pricespy and get each part himself.
(Presuming the OP is capable of putting them together when they arrive,
which, if we're being honest, isnt difficult)

staticdoping

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news:eqg9ub$2tm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mackin_NZ wrote:
>
> > John S wrote:
> >
> >> For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my
> >> computer powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an

upgrade
> >> box and installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a
> >> separate
> >> partition. I already have the operating system software.
> >>
> >> I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
> >> motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a

Seagate
> >> 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of
> >> $600. No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard
> >> and DVD writer.
> >>
> >> However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
> >> dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
> >>
> >> I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who
> >> are into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
> >> reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise

> >> (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
> >>
> >> I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so
> >> that I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I
> >> have ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing
> >> computer).
> >>
> >> I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> John S

> > Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker on

them
> > that forbids you opening the case without voiding the warranty.
> >
> > I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the
> > hassle
> > that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a bit.
> >
> > My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go wrong

with
> > Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the machine of your
> > choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.
> >
> > Mackin
> >

> Seeing as the OP seems to know the exact parts he wants, another option
> would be off to pricespy and get each part himself.
> (Presuming the OP is capable of putting them together when they arrive,
> which, if we're being honest, isnt difficult)

Yeah I know what you mean but how many people damage the parts in the
process of putting them together, the majority I would say and that includes
many of the computer shops who put them together themselves, unfortunately
this type of damage normally does not show till much later and is impossible
to trace back and prove the cause, there are so many cowboys out there who
have no background info in electronics and therefore through there complete
ignorance reduce the lifetime of computer components and cause somebody else
major headaches, of course arrogance normally goes with ignorance and so
they would swear that they are experts.

PeeCee

"John S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r1xy8kcrtyj.lc9hpywi7lfz$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my computer
> powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an upgrade box and
> installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu linux on a separate
> partition. I already have the operating system software.
>
> I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
> motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
> 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for something in excess of
> $600.
> No software included apart from that bundled with the motherboard and DVD
> writer.
>
> However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I have been
> dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
>
> I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ suppliers who
> are
> into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who are competitive and
> reasonable helpful to people like myself who don't have the expertise to
> (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another.
>
> I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to linux, so
> that
> I can explore using an alternative operating system (at present I have
> ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate partition on my existing computer).
>
> I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John S

John

I've no opinion who you should buy from, but may I suggest you revisit your
spec's with a view to getting better bang for your $

I would recommend either an Athlon or Pentium CPU Celeron / Semprons are the
'cut down' versions of their respective parents, performance is the
compromise.
512 MB is adequate, but I guess that can be added to later.
80GB drives are now below mainstream and strongly suggest going up to 160 as
the cost per GB is quite low.

Best
Paul.

~misfit~

Shane wrote:
> Mackin_NZ wrote:
>
> > John S wrote:
> >
> > > For the last 5 years I've been happily running Windows 98SE on my
> > > computer powered by a Celeron 400, and now thinking of buying an
> > > upgrade box and installing Windows XP Pro together with Ubuntu
> > > linux on a separate
> > > partition. I already have the operating system software.
> > >
> > > I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic
> > > Intel motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G
> > > with a Seagate 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer for
> > > something in excess of $600. No software included apart from that
> > > bundled with the motherboard and DVD writer.
> > >
> > > However, I don't know what's going on at PB Tech as the guy I
> > > have been dealing with is not responding to my enquiry emails.
> > >
> > > I'm just looking for suggestions about other reputable NZ
> > > suppliers who are into this kind of thing (upgrade boxes) and who
> > > are competitive and reasonable helpful to people like myself who
> > > don't have the expertise to (for example) evaluate one
> > > motherboard against another.
> > >
> > > I would like to get something which has hardware friendly to
> > > linux, so that I can explore using an alternative operating
> > > system (at present I have ubuntu 6.06 installed on a separate
> > > partition on my existing computer).
> > >
> > > I'm located in Whakatane, so would need to buy over the internet.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> > >

> > Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker
> > on them that forbids you opening the case without voiding the
> > warranty.
> >
> > I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the
> > hassle
> > that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a
> > bit.
> >
> > My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go
> > wrong with Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the
> > machine of your choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.

> Seeing as the OP seems to know the exact parts he wants, another
> option would be off to pricespy and get each part himself.
> (Presuming the OP is capable of putting them together when they
> arrive, which, if we're being honest, isnt difficult)

What on Earth makes you think the OP seems to know wthe exact parts he
wants? He specifically states: "people like myself who don't have the
expertise to (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another." To me
that suggests entirely the opposite. Suggesting he builds his own PC is a
bit wide of the mark don't you think?

FWIW I second the suggestion to look at Ascent's upgrade boxes or use their
"PC Builder" to build the box. Some people don't like them but I've had no
trouble with QMB (http://www.qmb.co.nz/c.aspx) and they're quite
competitive.
--
Shaun.

Shane

~misfit~ wrote:

> Shane wrote:
>> Mackin_NZ wrote:

>> > Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker
>> > on them that forbids you opening the case without voiding the
>> > warranty.
>> >
>> > I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the
>> > hassle
>> > that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a
>> > bit.
>> >
>> > My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go
>> > wrong with Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the
>> > machine of your choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.

>> Seeing as the OP seems to know the exact parts he wants, another
>> option would be off to pricespy and get each part himself.
>> (Presuming the OP is capable of putting them together when they
>> arrive, which, if we're being honest, isnt difficult)

> What on Earth makes you think the OP seems to know wthe exact parts he
> wants? He specifically states: "people like myself who don't have the
> expertise to (for example) evaluate one motherboard against another." To
> me that suggests entirely the opposite. Suggesting he builds his own PC is
> a bit wide of the mark don't you think?

This seems fairly specific to me,

I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a Seagate
80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer

I built my first PC (which is still running 3.5 years later sans the PSU
which died 4 weeks ago)
It wasnt hard.

The Other Guy

Mackin_NZ wrote:
> Be careful with PB Tech's Upgrade Boxes, they now place a sticker on them
> that forbids you opening the case without voiding the warranty.
> I don't think that would be legally enforceable but I don't want the hassle
> that would inevitably occur. Actually it's put me off PB Tech a bit.

I'm not familiar with the upgrade boxes, or the pre-assembled package
deals they offer, but in 12 years of dealing with them, I've never had
any such labels placed on systems we've purchased from them.

There *might* have been a sticker on the box I got for my neighbour
about a year ago, although I may be getting it confused with an Acer I
upgraded for someone else. Other than an HP box, the closest I have ever
seen from any PC assembler is a sticker saying the warranty would be
voided if damaged by someone who was unqualified to be doing work on the
system.

> My advice is to deal exclusively with Ascent. You'll never go wrong with
> Ascent. Use their online System Builder to make the machine of your
> choice, or pick one of their pre-built systems.

Ascent is good, although their prices are usually not quite as good as
PB Tech. We use them when PB Tech does not have items in stock.

The Other Guy

~misfit~

Shane wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > Shane wrote:

> > > Seeing as the OP seems to know the exact parts he wants, another
> > > option would be off to pricespy and get each part himself.
> > > (Presuming the OP is capable of putting them together when they
> > > arrive, which, if we're being honest, isnt difficult)

> > What on Earth makes you think the OP seems to know wthe exact parts
> > he wants? He specifically states: "people like myself who don't
> > have the expertise to (for example) evaluate one motherboard
> > against another." To me that suggests entirely the opposite.
> > Suggesting he builds his own PC is a bit wide of the mark don't you
> > think?

> This seems fairly specific to me,
>
> I was intending to buy an upgrade box from PB Tech with a basic Intel
> motherboard (D102GGC2L) and Celeron processor No 536 3.33G with a
> Seagate 80 G SATA drive, 512 MB RAM and DVD writer

LOL!! That's specific because he read it off a website as an example of the
range he's looking for.

Comprehension 101.

> I built my first PC (which is still running 3.5 years later sans the
> PSU which died 4 weeks ago)
> It wasnt hard.

Mate, I've been building PCs for years too, I have 7 with CPUs over 1GHz in
this room with me, all self built, all running fine. (Not all running right
now but all connected to power and network, ready to go at the push of a
button). Brain surgery it ain't.

However, some people just don't take to building their own. I know some very
capable folks who just aren't interested in opening up their PC or upgrading
their own graphics card, even fitting a DVD burner. Strange but true. They'd
rather ask me what I think is best value, ask me for the best price for said
item, give me the money and a box of beer and gas money to get it and fit
it.
--
Shaun.

Advice on Buying Lee Davison Computer Support 3 07-04-2004 07:33 AM
Buying advice (ds3 equipment) bumba Cisco 7 05-01-2004 11:44 PM
Buying advice Tomek Dudziak Cisco 1 04-18-2004 03:32 PM
Hard disk buying advice needed rednose Computer Support 4 09-27-2003 10:22 PM
Buying a new system. I have 4 video card choices. Need advice. RossColter@no.mail.here Computer Support 1 08-02-2003 07:59 AM

Advertisments