Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Need new phone

Need new phone

~misfit~

David wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > ~misfit~ wrote:
> >
> > > I'm going to be *really* careful with my 1100. Maybe check a few
> > > stores for old stock....

> > DSE have a few clearance units...
> >
> > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto.../product/E2618
> >
> > Can you take the 1100i back?

> I think so. I'll check tomorrow, I bought it at a voda store in puke.
> According to that site DSE puke has '2 or less'. I'll have to be
> quick. Thanks for that.

No problem.

I'm in Puke too. Manukau isn't in italics so if a short stint up the
motorway isn't too far.....
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Richard wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>

> > That's a shame. The 1100 is a great phone (I got mine back, that
> > Motorola reminded me why I didn't like them way back...), shame
> > that there isn't a similar replacement.

> The new one has the bloody 2 softkeys and red and green button
> interface, I hate that, and I dread the idea of getting mum trained up
> in using one of those for when she is phone sitting for me.

Yeah, David mentioned that. How sucky! WTF do you need softkeys for on a
basic cell phone?

Technology for the sake of it, very sad. Overcomplication of a simple
device. The Motorola W220 had softkeys and a green/red too. Why have
green/red when just one button will do? My Panasonic cordless has a 'talk'
and an 'off' button, a PITA. Buttons for the sake of it.

Gah!! If I could afford it I'd be annexing one of those fast-disappearing
clearance DSE Nokia 1100's to put away for future use.
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Jason Clinton wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 17:49:02 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > That's a shame. The 1100 is a great phone (I got mine back, that
> > Motorola reminded me why I didn't like them way back...), shame
> > that there isn't a similar replacement.

> I think you made a wise choice. The Motorola W220 is a cheap phone
> with a cheap interface designed to sell on the basis of it being a
> cheap clamshell/flip phone.
>
> The V360V is a much better phone for $199 (or cheaper) and IMO is the
> best value phone out there considering it takes microsd cards so you
> can store your MP3's on.

It looks to be similar in some aspects to the W220. I really didn't like the
W220 as the buttons were annoying in that, if I strayed slightly with my fat
thumb I'd lose all the text that I'd written so far. Way too complicated for
me.

> Check out the other threads about installing itunes on it too.

Sounds interesting. However, my last 5 phones have all been Nokia and I
think I'll try to continue that trend if at all possible. I don't want
anything other than a call phone that does SMS and has an alarm function.
You know, sort of like the 1100. Clam-shell would be nice as the
screen/keypad would be protected in my pocket from the vagaries of keys...
Can't have everything.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Richard

~misfit~ wrote:

> Sounds interesting. However, my last 5 phones have all been Nokia and I
> think I'll try to continue that trend if at all possible. I don't want
> anything other than a call phone that does SMS and has an alarm function.
> You know, sort of like the 1100. Clam-shell would be nice as the
> screen/keypad would be protected in my pocket from the vagaries of keys...
> Can't have everything.

Dont forget that the nokia 1100 is "crap" because its got that nasty
battery depleting flashlight that is so easy to turn on by accident.

I prefer non flip phones since they are usually thicker, the exception
being the v3 motorazr - shame that vodafone are only giving away the
cheapened up plasticy fat v3x...

~misfit~

Richard wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > Sounds interesting. However, my last 5 phones have all been Nokia
> > and I think I'll try to continue that trend if at all possible. I
> > don't want anything other than a call phone that does SMS and has
> > an alarm function. You know, sort of like the 1100. Clam-shell
> > would be nice as the screen/keypad would be protected in my pocket
> > from the vagaries of keys... Can't have everything.

> Dont forget that the nokia 1100 is "crap" because its got that nasty
> battery depleting flashlight that is so easy to turn on by accident.

LOL. I've had a couple of 1100's now and I've *never* turned the flashlight
on by accident. Not once.

> I prefer non flip phones since they are usually thicker, the exception
> being the v3 motorazr - shame that vodafone are only giving away the
> cheapened up plasticy fat v3x...

You like thick phones? I carry mine in my pocket and I like it to be as
unobtrusive as possible. Therefore thin is good.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

David wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > ~misfit~ wrote:
> >
> > > I'm going to be *really* careful with my 1100. Maybe check a few
> > > stores for old stock....

> > DSE have a few clearance units...
> >
> > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto.../product/E2618
> >
> > Can you take the 1100i back?

> I think so. I'll check tomorrow, I bought it at a voda store in puke.
> According to that site DSE puke has '2 or less'. I'll have to be
> quick. Thanks for that.

David, update:

Pukekohe don't have any, it's just a computer glitch showing one when in
fact they have none. The Manukau Power House have 8 in stock (was 9 an hour
ago) so I'd say that would be your best bet.
--
Shaun. (Who's just put a brand-new shrink-wrapped Nokia 1100 from Manukau in
the 'spares' cupboard).

Jason Clinton

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:33:24 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You like thick phones? I carry mine in my pocket and I like it to be as
>unobtrusive as possible. Therefore thin is good.

It doesn't impress the girls as much as a thick phone does

~misfit~

Jason Clinton wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:33:24 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > You like thick phones? I carry mine in my pocket and I like it to
> > be as unobtrusive as possible. Therefore thin is good.

> It doesn't impress the girls as much as a thick phone does

LMAO!

A thick wallet is even better though methinks.
--
Shaun.

jasen

On 2007-02-08, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Why have green/red when just one button will do?

call waiting.

--

Bye.
Jasen

~misfit~

jasen wrote:
> On 2007-02-08, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Why have green/red when just one button will do?

> call waiting.

My call waiting service consists of a message saying "The GSM mobile phone
that you are trying to call is busy. Please try again later".

Works for me.
--
Shaun.