Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows-free laptop?

Windows-free laptop?

Miguel

Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
or Vista pre-installed.

Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

Regards
Miguel

Earl Grey

Miguel wrote:
> Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
> or Vista pre-installed.
>
> Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.
>
> Regards
> Miguel

apple.co.nz

Miguel

On Feb 7, 2:47 pm, Earl Grey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Miguel wrote:
> > Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
> > or Vista pre-installed.

> > Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

> > Regards
> > Miguel

> apple.co.nz

My apologies......To rephrase my question:

Does anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without a pre-
installed operating system.

Regards
Miguel

Fred Dagg

On 6 Feb 2007 17:45:12 -0800, "Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
>or Vista pre-installed.
>
>Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

Good luck with that.

You know it'll cost you a lot more in the long run, when you give up
and have to buy XP/Vista at retail rather than OEM?

--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Earl Grey

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2007 17:45:12 -0800, "Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>
>> Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
>> or Vista pre-installed.
>>
>> Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

> Good luck with that.
>
> You know it'll cost you a lot more in the long run, when you give up
> and have to buy XP/Vista at retail rather than OEM?

Unless he buys it with a mouse.

Nik Coughlin

Earl Grey wrote:
> Fred Dagg wrote:
>> On 6 Feb 2007 17:45:12 -0800, "Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> exclaimed:
>>
>>> Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without
>>> XP or Vista pre-installed.
>>>
>>> Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

>> Good luck with that.
>>
>> You know it'll cost you a lot more in the long run, when you give up
>> and have to buy XP/Vista at retail rather than OEM?
>>

> Unless he buys it with a mouse.

Or has a retail copy lying around that's not currently installed on a
machine?

none

Miguel wrote:
> Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
> or Vista pre-installed.
>
> Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

It's virtually impossible to get a notebook in NZ without a bundled MS OS.

A friend of mine picked one up in Japan.

Even if you do find one, it won't save you "hundreds" of dollars. Just
find one you like and buy it, the MS tax barely features in the price.

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:05:04 +1300, Earl Grey <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg wrote:
>> On 6 Feb 2007 17:45:12 -0800, "Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> exclaimed:
>>
>>> Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
>>> or Vista pre-installed.
>>>
>>> Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

>> Good luck with that.
>>
>> You know it'll cost you a lot more in the long run, when you give up
>> and have to buy XP/Vista at retail rather than OEM?
>>

>Unless he buys it with a mouse.

Actually, I don't think he can buy it with a mouse. The clause says
"non-peripheral hardware component (such as a hard drive, motherboard,
memory, CPU, etc.)" - one could reasonably argue that a mouse is a
peripheral.

Best to get it with a new stick of RAM.

--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Miguel

Hello Fred....

>Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Good luck with that.

Thanks for the best wishes.

> You know it'll cost you a lot more in the long run, when you give up

I'm quite sure I won't be returning to MS. After twenty something
years using MS I'm now a confirmed Xubuntu user.

> and have to buy XP/Vista

>From an economic point of view I wouldn't buy Vista. It's got nothing

I want or need that my old XP Home doesn't do.

I hate sounding like Lawrence or DM but as the old Hank Williams song
says:

I saw the light, I saw the light
No more darkness, no more night
No more BSOD, no more *** STOP: 0X00000050
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

(or something like that)

Regards
Miguel

Phil

Miguel wrote, On 7/02/07 2.45 p:
> Hi all....Anyone know if I can purchase a new laptop in NZ without XP
> or Vista pre-installed.
>
> Am hoping to save a few hundred dollars by using *nix.

Even if you do manage to find an OS-free laptop, how are you so sure
they'll refund you the cost of the OS?

-Phil