Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Gorbachev to Gates: Show software 'pirate' mercy

Gorbachev to Gates: Show software 'pirate' mercy

Roy Bean

peterwn

On Feb 6, 8:22 am, Roy Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://us.cnn.com/2007/TECH/02/05/go...eut/index.html

I do not want pre-installed Windows. How do I know it is kosher. I
do not want to spend 5 years working in Siberian computer factories
who adverise "We recommend Vista".

peterwn

On Feb 6, 8:22 am, Roy Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://us.cnn.com/2007/TECH/02/05/go...eut/index.html

Another thought. Years ago, some elderly folk at a USA rest home were
'busted' for playing card games etc for pennies and nickels. A Las
Vegas business group gave them a free trip to Las Vegas which was of
course good positive publicity. Surely Bill can do something like
this even if it is just a stack of software licences - first Russian
school using Vista! No, they are shooting themselves in the foot,
just like they did with Ernie Ball.

thingy

peterwn wrote:
> On Feb 6, 8:22 am, Roy Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> http://us.cnn.com/2007/TECH/02/05/go...eut/index.html

> Another thought. Years ago, some elderly folk at a USA rest home were
> 'busted' for playing card games etc for pennies and nickels. A Las
> Vegas business group gave them a free trip to Las Vegas which was of
> course good positive publicity. Surely Bill can do something like
> this even if it is just a stack of software licences - first Russian
> school using Vista! No, they are shooting themselves in the foot,
> just like they did with Ernie Ball.

and let the floodgates open....

The School should buy its commercial software and abide by the
licence(s) and copyrights. This was not even a "school teacher" but the
Principal, who at the very least should have enough education to know
about such things.

If they cannot afford to pay even an educational price (which face it is
a huge discount), there is lots of good FOSS out there as effective
alternatives....

I am rather surprised it has gone this far this fast, I would have
expected a please pay up or desist letter, so I assume the Principal
ignored/refused them....

Also I am surprised the Principal is being targeted, would'nt the
Ministry of Education for the country/state (or equiv) negotiate a
discounted country wide educational rate?

While I can detest MS for lack of morals/ethics I support their wish to
be paid for their software....

regards

Thing

peterwn

On Feb 7, 11:19 am, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> peterwn wrote:

> > this even if it is just a stack of software licences - first Russian
> > school using Vista! No, they are shooting themselves in the foot,
> > just like they did with Ernie Ball.

> and let the floodgates open....
>
> The School should buy its commercial software and abide by the
> licence(s) and copyrights. This was not even a "school teacher" but the
> Principal, who at the very least should have enough education to know
> about such things.

Unfortunately we do not know the full fact matrix of the situation,
such as whether the school purchased the computers from a usually
reputable source, whether schools and principals had been warned about
buying from dubious sources, etc.

> If they cannot afford to pay even an educational price (which face it is
> a huge discount), there is lots of good FOSS out there as effective
> alternatives....
>
> I am rather surprised it has gone this far this fast, I would have
> expected a please pay up or desist letter, so I assume the Principal
> ignored/refused them....

I am not surprised. Decadent westerners especially from a certain
part of USA are quite happy to exploit a repressive penal code for
their business purposes, but thumb their noses at laws they do not
like (eg anti-trust and anti-competition law).

> Also I am surprised the Principal is being targeted, would'nt the
> Ministry of Education for the country/state (or equiv) negotiate a
> discounted country wide educational rate?

I think this is the problem. The school system in question has
probably refused Microsoft's request for a 'flat rate' licence such as
the NZ MOE has obtained, so MS is poking it at what it regards as a
vulnerable point eg have a principal thrown into jail to scare all ot
the others. This is rather like the guy who had the original
automobile patent who picked off users of 'unlicenced' automobiles,
not their makers. These flat rate licences discourage schools from
alternatives since MS products are effectively free from the school's
perspective.

> While I can detest MS for lack of morals/ethics I support their wish to
> be paid for their software....

But only if they operate ethically and within the rule of law.

Dianthus Mimulus

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 11:19:03 +1300, thingy wrote:

> While I can detest MS for lack of morals/ethics I support their wish to
> be paid for their software....

So why doesn't it charge for its browser? AND it's multimedia player?

Neither are components of an operating system, and both have disrupted
their respective markets.

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918