Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > British Library goes Vista

British Library goes Vista

Rob S

impossible wrote:
> "Earl Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45c12515$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> impossible wrote:
>>> "Earl Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I ran it on XP!

>> So it would be incorrect to describe it as only running on a Vista
>> machine ?

> You're arguing with the wrong person. The point of my original post
> was to show that in fact Vista was _not_ required to view at least one
> of the collections, which is the one I looked at from XP via
> Shockwave. Thing is, I also have the .Net 3 update and I still can't
> view the other collection. Frankly, I can't be bothered
> troubleshooting this, because I've seen enough in Shockwave and, as I
> said, I'm impressed. But maybe you'd care to do something actually
> useful here and try viewing the second collection yourself on XP --
> I'd be pleased to see that it in fact works.

I don't know about the diary that BG owns, but I managed to view the
library's diary in Linux, using their Turning the Pages software. Quite
impressive. Just a pity that it only works in IE, using unsigned
active-x components. At least I presume they are unsigned, as I had to
change security level to the lowest setting.

If you're wondering, look for ies4linux in your repositories.

--

Rob
http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

The Windows98 Eveready Bunny: It's still loading, and loading...

E. Scrooge

"Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c0f1b6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/
>
> It seems the British Library is making available some original prints for
> viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you run Vista.
> Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open standard? The
> target audience would mostly be academics and students, both of whom are
> less likely to find Vista and any concomitant hardware upgrades
> affordable.
> --
>
> Rob

How can someone using Vista download Library files without a conflict of
copyright.
A Vista window should popup saying "No Can Do - Can't Access Any Copyright
Material Of Any Kind".

Could cause a conflict of Vista programming which just might cause it to
self destruct, but only if Vista was a Dalek.
LOL

E. Scrooge

impossible

"Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "Earl Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:45c12515$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> So it would be incorrect to describe it as only running on a Vista
>>> machine ?

>> You're arguing with the wrong person. The point of my original post
>> was to show that in fact Vista was _not_ required to view at least
>> one of the collections, which is the one I looked at from XP via
>> Shockwave. Thing is, I also have the .Net 3 update and I still
>> can't view the other collection. Frankly, I can't be bothered
>> troubleshooting this, because I've seen enough in Shockwave and, as
>> I said, I'm impressed. But maybe you'd care to do something
>> actually useful here and try viewing the second collection yourself
>> on XP -- I'd be pleased to see that it in fact works.

> I don't know about the diary that BG owns, but I managed to view the
> library's diary in Linux, using their Turning the Pages software.
> Quite impressive. Just a pity that it only works in IE, using
> unsigned active-x components. At least I presume they are unsigned,
> as I had to change security level to the lowest setting.

Oh, well. If you can't trust the British Public Library, who can you
trust

jasen

On 2007-02-01, E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz> wrote:

> "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c0f1b6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/
>>
>> It seems the British Library is making available some original prints for
>> viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you run Vista.
>> Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open standard? The
>> target audience would mostly be academics and students, both of whom are
>> less likely to find Vista and any concomitant hardware upgrades
>> affordable.
>> --
>>
>> Rob

> How can someone using Vista download Library files without a conflict of
> copyright.

Davinci's been dead for hundreds of years!
Copyright expires.

--

Bye.
Jasen

E. Scrooge

"jasen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eptev6$c75$(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.org...
> On 2007-02-01, E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c0f1b6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/
>>>
>>> It seems the British Library is making available some original prints
>>> for
>>> viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you run
>>> Vista.
>>> Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open standard? The
>>> target audience would mostly be academics and students, both of whom are
>>> less likely to find Vista and any concomitant hardware upgrades
>>> affordable.
>>> --
>>>
>>> Rob

>> How can someone using Vista download Library files without a conflict of
>> copyright.

> Davinci's been dead for hundreds of years!
> Copyright expires.
> --
>
> Bye.
> Jasen

And the copyright on the more recent writings about DaVinci expires when
exactly?

E. Scrooge