Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > British Library goes Vista

British Library goes Vista

Rob S

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/

It seems the British Library is making available some original prints
for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you run
Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open
standard? The target audience would mostly be academics and students,
both of whom are less likely to find Vista and any concomitant hardware
upgrades affordable.
--

Rob
http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

Microsoft manager to programmer: You start coding. I'll go find out what
they want.

thingy

Rob S wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/
>
> It seems the British Library is making available some original prints
> for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you run
> Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open
> standard? The target audience would mostly be academics and students,
> both of whom are less likely to find Vista and any concomitant hardware
> upgrades affordable.

MS hands out OS very cheap for Academics and students....however in a
enterprise sense since a uni is not going to be thinking about rolling
out Vista until next year.....its falling flat on its face.

and yes it should be open format.....but then lots of organisations
cannot think or dont want to think strategically so MS will sticth them
up....of course if the Library owns the copyright, the DRM lockdown in
Vista is exactly what they need/want.....in terms of public owned
information, it should not be so locked down, however if the library is
not adequately funded from the public purse the ability to recover money
to view is well established....though un-ethical because the poor wont
be able to access information and technology so their dis-advantage
increases....so libraries (as an example) are caught between a rock and
a hard place.

regards

Thing

Earl Grey

Rob S wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/
>
> It seems the British Library is making available some original prints
> for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you run
> Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open
> standard? The target audience would mostly be academics and students,
> both of whom are less likely to find Vista and any concomitant hardware
> upgrades affordable.

Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance.

FTA
"The British Library has created an updated version of its application
called "Turning the Pages" which allows people to browse parts of its
150 million piece collection via a web browser. We heard how this works
better using Vista."

Earl Grey

thingy wrote:
> Rob S wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/
>>
>> It seems the British Library is making available some original prints
>> for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you
>> run Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open
>> standard? The target audience would mostly be academics and students,
>> both of whom are less likely to find Vista and any concomitant
>> hardware upgrades affordable.

> MS hands out OS very cheap for Academics and students....however in a
> enterprise sense since a uni is not going to be thinking about rolling
> out Vista until next year.....its falling flat on its face.
>
> and yes it should be open format.....but then lots of organisations
> cannot think or dont want to think strategically so MS will sticth them
> up....of course if the Library owns the copyright, the DRM lockdown in
> Vista is exactly what they need/want.....in terms of public owned
> information, it should not be so locked down, however if the library is
> not adequately funded from the public purse the ability to recover money
> to view is well established....though un-ethical because the poor wont
> be able to access information and technology so their dis-advantage
> increases....so libraries (as an example) are caught between a rock and
> a hard place.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

There is no mention of DRM.
Here is the link in the article to the British Library site
http://www.bl.uk/ttp2/ttp2.html
To view on XP it just requires a .NET download.
It looks like you all swallowed a Reg beat-up to me.

impossible

"Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c0f1b6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/
>
> It seems the British Library is making available some original
> prints for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only
> if you run Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a
> more open standard? The target audience would mostly be academics
> and students, both of whom are less likely to find Vista and any
> concomitant hardware upgrades affordable.
> --

There are actually two collections that the Library is opening -- one
that the Library owns and one that Bill Gates owns. The Library-owned
collection is available for viewing on any OS that runs Shockwave. The
Gates-owned collection (surprise! surprise!) is the one that only runs
on a Vista machine. Either way, well worthy having a look, I think --
very nice feature.

Rob S

thingy wrote:
> Rob S wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/
>>
>> It seems the British Library is making available some original prints
>> for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you
>> run Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open
>> standard? The target audience would mostly be academics and students,
>> both of whom are less likely to find Vista and any concomitant
>> hardware upgrades affordable.

> MS hands out OS very cheap for Academics and students....however in a
> enterprise sense since a uni is not going to be thinking about rolling
> out Vista until next year.....its falling flat on its face.
>
> and yes it should be open format.....but then lots of organisations
> cannot think or dont want to think strategically so MS will sticth them
> up....of course if the Library owns the copyright,

I doubt they own the copyright on works by Leonardo da Vinci, and
thinking it over, his notebooks are probably of interest to a far wider
user-base than I first suggested, what with the success of "The da Vinci
Code" book & movie.

--

Rob
http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

Name one nice thing about Windows? It doesn't just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.

Earl Grey

impossible wrote:
> "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c0f1b6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/
>>
>> It seems the British Library is making available some original
>> prints for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only
>> if you run Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a
>> more open standard? The target audience would mostly be academics
>> and students, both of whom are less likely to find Vista and any
>> concomitant hardware upgrades affordable.
>> --

> There are actually two collections that the Library is opening -- one
> that the Library owns and one that Bill Gates owns. The Library-owned
> collection is available for viewing on any OS that runs Shockwave. The
> Gates-owned collection (surprise! surprise!) is the one that only runs
> on a Vista machine. Either way, well worthy having a look, I think --
> very nice feature.

<groan>
Will nobody actually read the page that describes what to do to run it
on XP ?

impossible

"Earl Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message
>> news:45c0f1b6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...tebooks_vista/
>>>
>>> It seems the British Library is making available some original
>>> prints for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but
>>> only if you run Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere
>>> to a more open standard? The target audience would mostly be
>>> academics and students, both of whom are less likely to find Vista
>>> and any concomitant hardware upgrades affordable.
>>> --

>> There are actually two collections that the Library is opening --
>> one that the Library owns and one that Bill Gates owns. The
>> Library-owned collection is available for viewing on any OS that
>> runs Shockwave. The Gates-owned collection (surprise! surprise!) is
>> the one that only runs on a Vista machine. Either way, well worthy
>> having a look, I think -- very nice feature.

> <groan>
> Will nobody actually read the page that describes what to do to run
> it on XP ?

I ran it on XP!

Earl Grey

impossible wrote:
> "Earl Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> impossible wrote:
>>> "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message
>>> news:45c0f1b6$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> There are actually two collections that the Library is opening --
>>> one that the Library owns and one that Bill Gates owns. The
>>> Library-owned collection is available for viewing on any OS that
>>> runs Shockwave. The Gates-owned collection (surprise! surprise!) is
>>> the one that only runs on a Vista machine. Either way, well worthy
>>> having a look, I think -- very nice feature.

>> <groan>
>> Will nobody actually read the page that describes what to do to run
>> it on XP ?

> I ran it on XP!

So it would be incorrect to describe it as only running on a Vista machine ?
I expect the Bill Gates one is just a promotional deal, but there
doesn't seem to be any Vista specific DRM issue in their on line
displays at all, it doesn't say that they use Vista, it says that it can
be viewed with Vista and I expect that that would mean that a Vista user
would not have to download the .NET update.

impossible

"Earl Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45c12515$(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "Earl Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> <groan>
>>> Will nobody actually read the page that describes what to do to
>>> run it on XP ?

>> I ran it on XP!

> So it would be incorrect to describe it as only running on a Vista
> machine ?

You're arguing with the wrong person. The point of my original post
was to show that in fact Vista was _not_ required to view at least one
of the collections, which is the one I looked at from XP via
Shockwave. Thing is, I also have the .Net 3 update and I still can't
view the other collection. Frankly, I can't be bothered
troubleshooting this, because I've seen enough in Shockwave and, as I
said, I'm impressed. But maybe you'd care to do something actually
useful here and try viewing the second collection yourself on XP --
I'd be pleased to see that it in fact works.