Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > EMI "Copy Controlled Disc" bought from Sounds?

EMI "Copy Controlled Disc" bought from Sounds?

Adam

Errr, they are being done over it.
What are you doing paying good money for
non-compliant CDs for ?

Not necessarily the software on your
non-compliant CD, but software Sony
thought they could get away with - out
of UK so - so probably same as your
EMI stuff.

See the PCworld article.
http://tinyurl.com/2s4pyk

Sony Settles With FTC Over Rootkit Debacle
Company agrees to settle charges over copy-protection
software it included in music CDs.

Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service
Tuesday, January 30, 2007 03:00 PM PST

Sony BMG Music Entertainment has agreed to settle charges with the U.S.
Federal Trade Commission related to the company's inclusion of problematic
copy-protection software in music CDs, the FTC said today.
The proposed agreement, which FTC commissioners approved unanimously, will
be open for public comment until March 1. Then the FTC will decide whether
to make it final.
Sony Settles, Doesn't Admit It Broke Laws
The copy-protection software that Sony shipped with music CDs created
security risks for users and monitored their listening behavior on their
PCs without their permission, the FTC said.
The copy-protection software installed itself without users' consent, was
complicated to uninstall, and limited the devices a CD could be played in,
as well as the number of copies that could be made, the FTC said.
The FTC had alleged Sony BMG had violated federal law by selling music CDs
with this type of hidden software.

etc etc

Jamie Kahn Genet

David <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> > WTF is this "Copy Control technology" supposed to do? I just bought
> > EMI's 'Super 70's Rock' 2 CD collection and the Compact Disc logo is
> > absent. In it's place is this notice they're Copy Controlled Discs. Well
> > - I just put disc 1 into my Mac and iTunes is ripping it just fine
> > Does this shitty bastardising of the Audio CD format DO anything?
> >
> > Curiously yours,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet.

> Who would buy that?

Not I, had I noticed they were NOT true Audio Compact Discs. Still, they
ripped ok so I'm happy enough for now - but only just so. The funny
thing is they say they're also Mac OSX 'compatiable' but they did
nothing screwy and I was watching VERY closely.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

The Other Guy

Not quite the same thing. The Sony example was a particularly nasty one,
but they clearly broke other laws with their actions. In most cases, the
content protection is simply a violation of the Red Book specification.

I am saying we need to fine the music stores for misrepresenting the
products they sell.

If that happens, then the people who are selling these products will put
pressure on their suppliers to ensure ALL such disks are appropriately
labeled, or even better, completely refuse to sell them. Either way, the
customer ends up with compliant CDs, and a very clear separation between
what is compliant and what isn't.

If a company advertises a 'CD' for sale, and it turns out to be
non-compliant, they should receive a huge fine for doing so.

The laws already exist to punish deceptive marketing practices, why
aren't they being applied?

The Other Guy

Adam wrote:
> Errr, they are being done over it.
> What are you doing paying good money for
> non-compliant CDs for ?

Dianthus Mimulus

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:04:27 +1300, The Other Guy wrote:

>> Pointless. Now you have ripped it, try to return it and make up some
>> bollux about how you cant listen to it at work or something.

> Bugger that Consumer Guarantees Act nonsense. The Fair Trading Act (and
> possibly the Sale Of Goods Act) has some actual punnishments for those
> who deliberately misrepresent the products they are selling.
>
> If it looks like a CD, is sold as a CD, and doesn't have a gigantic
> warning label on it saying it is not Red Book compliant, then they
> should be done for illegal and deceptive marketing practices.

All compliant CDs ahve the CD logo on them. These ones don't. You'd be
pushing water up a hill with a rake.

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918

Jamie Kahn Genet

Dianthus Mimulus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:04:27 +1300, The Other Guy wrote:
>
> >> Pointless. Now you have ripped it, try to return it and make up some
> >> bollux about how you cant listen to it at work or something.

> > Bugger that Consumer Guarantees Act nonsense. The Fair Trading Act (and
> > possibly the Sale Of Goods Act) has some actual punnishments for those
> > who deliberately misrepresent the products they are selling.
> >
> > If it looks like a CD, is sold as a CD, and doesn't have a gigantic
> > warning label on it saying it is not Red Book compliant, then they
> > should be done for illegal and deceptive marketing practices.

> All compliant CDs ahve the CD logo on them. These ones don't. You'd be
> pushing water up a hill with a rake.

True, but it still grates on my nerves. I had a not unreasonable
expectation - so I thought - that I was buying true Audio Compact Discs.

Dianthus Mimulus

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 12:26:32 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

>> All compliant CDs ahve the CD logo on them. These ones don't. You'd be
>> pushing water up a hill with a rake.

> True, but it still grates on my nerves. I had a not unreasonable
> expectation - so I thought - that I was buying true Audio Compact Discs.

Take it back and ask for your money back - they mis-represented what they
were selling. It is not an Audio CD.

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918

Bruce Sinclair

In article <1ht0ftx.1kl48cg1udxfkdN%(E-Mail Removed) z>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
>Dianthus Mimulus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Bugger that Consumer Guarantees Act nonsense. The Fair Trading Act (and
>> > possibly the Sale Of Goods Act) has some actual punnishments for those
>> > who deliberately misrepresent the products they are selling.
>> >
>> > If it looks like a CD, is sold as a CD, and doesn't have a gigantic
>> > warning label on it saying it is not Red Book compliant, then they
>> > should be done for illegal and deceptive marketing practices.

>> All compliant CDs ahve the CD logo on them. These ones don't. You'd be
>> pushing water up a hill with a rake.

>True, but it still grates on my nerves. I had a not unreasonable
>expectation - so I thought - that I was buying true Audio Compact Discs.

Was it mixed in with other CDs ? Were they standard CD type ? Were you told
this was different in any way ? I'd be ponding on their desk and getting my
money back. YMMV.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Bruce Sinclair <(E-Mail Removed) >
wrote:

> In article <1ht0ftx.1kl48cg1udxfkdN%(E-Mail Removed) z>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
> >Dianthus Mimulus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> All compliant CDs ahve the CD logo on them. These ones don't. You'd be
> >> pushing water up a hill with a rake.

> >True, but it still grates on my nerves. I had a not unreasonable
> >expectation - so I thought - that I was buying true Audio Compact Discs.

> Was it mixed in with other CDs ? Were they standard CD type ? Were you told
> this was different in any way ? I'd be ponding on their desk and getting my
> money back. YMMV.

Mmmm... I suppose I should, but their so-called copy protection didn't
work. I'd be complaining bitterly if it had and returning it faster than
you can say **** the RIAA. Still, I have an order for an Icehouse CD
that should be in next week. I'll be telling them - for what little it's
worth - how I expect their CDs to actually BE CDs.

These record companies really have their heads up their arses, don't
they? Do they actually imagine in today's world any person my age will
only ever want to listen to the music from the CD? It's comical.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Murray Symon

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 21:48:51 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> Bruce Sinclair <(E-Mail Removed) >
> wrote:
>
>> In article <1ht0ftx.1kl48cg1udxfkdN%(E-Mail Removed) z>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

>> >True, but it still grates on my nerves. I had a not unreasonable
>> >expectation - so I thought - that I was buying true Audio Compact Discs.

>> Was it mixed in with other CDs ? Were they standard CD type ? Were you told
>> this was different in any way ? I'd be ponding on their desk and getting my
>> money back. YMMV.

> Mmmm... I suppose I should, but their so-called copy protection didn't
> work. I'd be complaining bitterly if it had and returning it faster than
> you can say **** the RIAA. Still, I have an order for an Icehouse CD
> that should be in next week. I'll be telling them - for what little it's
> worth - how I expect their CDs to actually BE CDs.
>
> These record companies really have their heads up their arses, don't
> they? Do they actually imagine in today's world any person my age will
> only ever want to listen to the music from the CD? It's comical.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

I Agree.

I have a good friend who bought his daughter a music "CD" for a present.
It wouldn't play properly in her stereo. The workaround was to copy it.
I thought it was funny that:
(a) this is precisely what the record company was trying to DISCOURAGE.
(b) copying it was a doddle with standard tools.

Today I read that the RIAA really thinks that audio CDs should actually
be selling for 3x the current price, according to their calculations.

Murray.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Murray Symon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 21:48:51 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>
> > Bruce Sinclair <(E-Mail Removed) >
> > wrote:

> >> Was it mixed in with other CDs ? Were they standard CD type ? Were you told
> >> this was different in any way ? I'd be ponding on their desk and getting my
> >> money back. YMMV.

> > Mmmm... I suppose I should, but their so-called copy protection didn't
> > work. I'd be complaining bitterly if it had and returning it faster than
> > you can say **** the RIAA. Still, I have an order for an Icehouse CD
> > that should be in next week. I'll be telling them - for what little it's
> > worth - how I expect their CDs to actually BE CDs.
> >
> > These record companies really have their heads up their arses, don't
> > they? Do they actually imagine in today's world any person my age will
> > only ever want to listen to the music from the CD? It's comical.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet

> I Agree.
>
> I have a good friend who bought his daughter a music "CD" for a present.
> It wouldn't play properly in her stereo. The workaround was to copy it.
> I thought it was funny that:
> (a) this is precisely what the record company was trying to DISCOURAGE.
> (b) copying it was a doddle with standard tools.
>
> Today I read that the RIAA really thinks that audio CDs should actually
> be selling for 3x the current price, according to their calculations.
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37471
>
> Murray.

The RIAA is one f**ked up organisation. Scarily so. I also find it
amusing that their copy protection efforts actually encourages piracy

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

If people bought cars like they bought computers Jordon Computer Support 0 12-23-2009 07:08 PM
Differences between 3550-24-SMI and 3550-24-EMI JohnNews Cisco 10 10-20-2003 12:33 PM
Re: Catalyst 3550 EMI and Serial Interface The Oracle Cisco 0 07-24-2003 06:27 PM
3550 -- SMI vs. EMI Rick Kunkel Cisco 2 07-16-2003 01:41 AM
Catalyst 3550 EMI Upgrade Kit (CD-3550-EMI=) problem! show version = SMI desdronox Cisco 1 07-10-2003 02:08 AM

Advertisments