Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > telecom sales guys a-knocking

telecom sales guys a-knocking

whome

Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door, telecom
are sending out their sales drones now.

Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I told
him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing my
bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.

I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
(cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could still
roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
flying out.

But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this would
be more expensive. Doh!

thingy

whome wrote:
> Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door, telecom
> are sending out their sales drones now.
>
> Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I told
> him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing my
> bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.
>
> I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
> which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
> could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
> (cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could still
> roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
> hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
> flying out.
>
> But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this would
> be more expensive. Doh!

like duh.....but like spam, try it with enough people and only a small %
is needed for a win.

GSM with sim card also means you can go anywhere and get a pre-pay sim
and you are away....minimal cost, of course telescum get no % so wont
like that.....if travelling abroad one phone and a few sim cards makes
so much sense....

regards

Thing

grumpyoldhori

whome wrote:

> But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this
> would be more expensive. Doh!

We are duty bound to help Telecom reach it's targets.
There are rice bowls to be kept full.

grumpy

Kent Smith

whome wrote:
> Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door,
> telecom are sending out their sales drones now.
>
> Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When
> I told him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill.
> After seeing my bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about
> my mobile.
> I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my
> number which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre
> suggestion that I could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a
> telecom phone for outgoing (cos they have cheaper call rates
> according to him). Then, I could still roam using my GSM phone.
> While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on hold or something - i
> didn't quite get this as the recommendations were flying out.
>
> But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this
> would be more expensive. Doh!

You probably could have convinced him to switch to Vodafone if you tried.

-KENT

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:25:47 +1300, whome <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:(E-Mail Removed) m>:

> Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door, telecom
> are sending out their sales drones now.
>
> Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I told
> him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing my
> bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.
>
> I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
> which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
> could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
> (cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could still
> roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
> hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
> flying out.
>
> But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this would
> be more expensive. Doh!

I have a simple way of dealing with them.

When they start their spiel, let them rabbit on for about five seconds and
then cut them off with a curt "What are you trying to sell?"

Keep interrupting at about five second intervals with the same question
until [s]he tells you.

Then say "I'm not interested, thank you. You're wasting my time as well
as your employer's time. Go away."

They usually get the message. If they're too thick, they get told "You
are trespassing. Please leave. NOW!"

That approach seems to work with the god-botherers, too, but sometimes
they're so thick they need to be told twice.

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... The generation that took acid to escape from reality is now taking
antacid to deal with reality.

Geopelia

"Nicolaas Hawkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:25:47 +1300, whome <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <news:(E-Mail Removed) m>:
>
>> Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door,
>> telecom
>> are sending out their sales drones now.

(snip)

Telecom must be getting desperate, if they have to send sales people door to
door.
I got one of their phone survey people, who wanted to know what I used the
computer for. I said "Newsgroups".
I don't think she knew the difference between newsgroups and Chat rooms.

I like debating religion with the callers. I don't think they have ever
heard of some of the stuff I can come up with. Now I
know the proper name of one theory, thanks to a newsgroup debate.
"Homoousia". Let's see how many callers know what it means.

The spell checker suggests "Humorous". Hmmm...............

Geopelia

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door, telecom
>are sending out their sales drones now.
>
>Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I told
>him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing my
>bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.
>
>I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
>which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
>could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
>(cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could still
>roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
>hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
>flying out.
>
>But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this would
>be more expensive. Doh!

... and why was this person not treated in the same manner as the religious
types ? ... ie why would you waste your time chatting ?

Warwick

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:31:11 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:25:47 +1300, whome <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <news:(E-Mail Removed) m>:
>
>> Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door, telecom
>> are sending out their sales drones now.
>>
>> Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I told
>> him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing my
>> bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.
>>
>> I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
>> which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
>> could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
>> (cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could still
>> roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
>> hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
>> flying out.
>>
>> But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this would
>> be more expensive. Doh!

> I have a simple way of dealing with them.
>
> When they start their spiel, let them rabbit on for about five seconds and
> then cut them off with a curt "What are you trying to sell?"
>
> Keep interrupting at about five second intervals with the same question
> until [s]he tells you.
>
> Then say "I'm not interested, thank you. You're wasting my time as well
> as your employer's time. Go away."
>
> They usually get the message. If they're too thick, they get told "You
> are trespassing. Please leave. NOW!"
>
> That approach seems to work with the god-botherers, too, but sometimes
> they're so thick they need to be told twice.

Tell them "I won't pass a credit check". You won't see them for dust they
leave so fast.
--

cheers

whome

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
in message news:epokke$lo0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "whome"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door,
>>telecom
>>are sending out their sales drones now.
>>
>>Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I
>>told
>>him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing
>>my
>>bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.
>>
>>I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
>>which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
>>could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
>>(cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could
>>still
>>roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
>>hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
>>flying out.
>>
>>But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this
>>would
>>be more expensive. Doh!

> .. and why was this person not treated in the same manner as the religious
> types ? ... ie why would you waste your time chatting ?

I'm a lonely guy?

seriously, I wanted to see what this guys pitch.

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:45:34 +1300, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:1hyahayyw0yyt$(E-Mail Removed) >:

> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:31:11 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:25:47 +1300, whome <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> <news:(E-Mail Removed) m>:
>>
>>> Not only do we have to cope with religous types banging on our door, telecom
>>> are sending out their sales drones now.
>>>
>>> Firstly , he seemed convinced I was on a landline business plan. When I told
>>> him I was not he seemed flustered and asked to see my bill. After seeing my
>>> bill he seemed thrown a bit so started asking about my mobile.
>>>
>>> I am on vodafone and need the GSM roaming . I also want to keep my number
>>> which a lot of people know. So, he makes some bizzarre suggestion that I
>>> could keep my GSM for incoming calls, and get a telecom phone for outgoing
>>> (cos they have cheaper call rates according to him). Then, I could still
>>> roam using my GSM phone. While overseas, I could put my telecom phone on
>>> hold or something - i didn't quite get this as the recommendations were
>>> flying out.
>>>
>>> But, his solution would mean I pay 2 monthly rentals and overall this would
>>> be more expensive. Doh!

>> I have a simple way of dealing with them.
>>
>> When they start their spiel, let them rabbit on for about five seconds and
>> then cut them off with a curt "What are you trying to sell?"
>>
>> Keep interrupting at about five second intervals with the same question
>> until [s]he tells you.
>>
>> Then say "I'm not interested, thank you. You're wasting my time as well
>> as your employer's time. Go away."
>>
>> They usually get the message. If they're too thick, they get told "You
>> are trespassing. Please leave. NOW!"
>>
>> That approach seems to work with the god-botherers, too, but sometimes
>> they're so thick they need to be told twice.

> Tell them "I won't pass a credit check". You won't see them for dust they
> leave so fast.

I don't think the god-botherers would care too much about your credit
rating.

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source
of mind-boggling amounts of **** when you least expect it.