Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mandriva Free 2007 Directories

Mandriva Free 2007 Directories

BrianM

Just downloaded and installed JRE plugin for Firefox 1.5 in Mandriva 2007.
Can't find where the Firefox plugins directory is. Not in hidden files
under /home/user/.mozilla and there is no mozilla or firefox in /usr/lib,
hasn't installed itself into firefox aboutlugins. Can't make a simlink
until I find it.
cheers
brianM

Shane

BrianM wrote:

> Just downloaded and installed JRE plugin for Firefox 1.5 in Mandriva 2007.
> Can't find where the Firefox plugins directory is. Not in hidden files
> under /home/user/.mozilla and there is no mozilla or firefox in /usr/lib,
> hasn't installed itself into firefox aboutlugins. Can't make a simlink
> until I find it.
> cheers
> brianM

As root:
# updatedb
# locate firefox/plugins

HTH

brianM

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:01:48 +1300, Shane wrote:

> BrianM wrote:
>
>> Just downloaded and installed JRE plugin for Firefox 1.5 in Mandriva 2007.
>> Can't find where the Firefox plugins directory is. Not in hidden files
>> under /home/user/.mozilla and there is no mozilla or firefox in /usr/lib,
>> hasn't installed itself into firefox aboutlugins. Can't make a simlink
>> until I find it.
>> cheers
>> brianM

> As root:
> # updatedb
> # locate firefox/plugins
>
> HTH

Hi Shane
thanks
updatedb as su not recognised in this version.(have I
missed something?) however, I did eventually stumble on the firefox
libraries in /usr/lib64
Although Mda 2007 has later software - I'm beginning to have doubts
whether it's better than 2005 LE.
cheers
brianM

Shane

brianM wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:01:48 +1300, Shane wrote:
>
>> BrianM wrote:
>>
>>> Just downloaded and installed JRE plugin for Firefox 1.5 in Mandriva
>>> 2007. Can't find where the Firefox plugins directory is. Not in hidden
>>> files under /home/user/.mozilla and there is no mozilla or firefox in
>>> /usr/lib,
>>> hasn't installed itself into firefox aboutlugins. Can't make a
>>> simlink until I find it.
>>> cheers
>>> brianM

>> As root:
>> # updatedb
>> # locate firefox/plugins
>>
>> HTH

> Hi Shane
> thanks
> updatedb as su not recognised in this version.(have I
> missed something?) however, I did eventually stumble on the firefox
> libraries in /usr/lib64
> Although Mda 2007 has later software - I'm beginning to have doubts
> whether it's better than 2005 LE.
> cheers
> brianM

Hi
uodatedb is part of the slocate package (sometimes packaged as mlocate)
I had assumed it came default in your distro as it is the (IMO) easiest
locator of files in Linux
I recommend you download and install it if you havent already

I had a look on rpmfind and found this
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...?query=mlocate

The only 'hassle' with the application is that it locates files in a
database, which may be outdated, hence the need to update it first (or run
a cron job updating it overnight)

brianM

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:27:59 +1300, Shane wrote:

> brianM wrote:

>>> As root:
>>> # updatedb
>>> # locate firefox/plugins
>>>
>>> HTH

>> Hi Shane
>> thanks
>> updatedb as su not recognised in this version.(have I
>> missed something?) however, I did eventually stumble on the firefox
>> libraries in /usr/lib64
>> Although Mda 2007 has later software - I'm beginning to have doubts
>> whether it's better than 2005 LE.
>> cheers
>> brianM

> Hi
> uodatedb is part of the slocate package (sometimes packaged as mlocate)
> I had assumed it came default in your distro as it is the (IMO) easiest
> locator of files in Linux
> I recommend you download and install it if you havent already
>
> I had a look on rpmfind and found this
> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...?query=mlocate
>
> The only 'hassle' with the application is that it locates files in a
> database, which may be outdated, hence the need to update it first (or run
> a cron job updating it overnight)

thanks Shane - yes I've used locate lots on other linux's but it wasn't
packaged in the default group. I'll have a look at rpmfind if it isn't on
my install disks.
cheers
brianM

Enkidu

brianM wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:27:59 +1300, Shane wrote:
>
>> brianM wrote:

>>> Hi Shane
>>> thanks
>>> updatedb as su not recognised in this version.(have I
>>> missed something?) however, I did eventually stumble on the firefox
>>> libraries in /usr/lib64
>>> Although Mda 2007 has later software - I'm beginning to have doubts
>>> whether it's better than 2005 LE.
>>> cheers
>>> brianM

>> Hi
>> uodatedb is part of the slocate package (sometimes packaged as mlocate)
>> I had assumed it came default in your distro as it is the (IMO) easiest
>> locator of files in Linux
>> I recommend you download and install it if you havent already
>>
>> I had a look on rpmfind and found this
>> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...?query=mlocate
>>
>> The only 'hassle' with the application is that it locates files in a
>> database, which may be outdated, hence the need to update it first (or run
>> a cron job updating it overnight)

> thanks Shane - yes I've used locate lots on other linux's but it wasn't
> packaged in the default group. I'll have a look at rpmfind if it isn't on
> my install disks.
> cheers

Hmm, you should download it from the repository. I don't know Mandriva
so I can't tell you the way to access it. You should update your system
with patches etc every so often from the repository anyway. I'd be
surprised if slocate or mlocate is not in the repository.

Um, are you sure you don't have updatedb? Does locate work? Because that
comes from the same package as updatedb.

Run the following from the command line:

rpm -qa | grep locate

and see if it finds the package. If the package is there run

rpm -qil <package> | less

to find out where updatedb is located. Even then you may have to run it
as root.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

brianM

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:16:34 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> brianM wrote:

>>> Hi
>>> uodatedb is part of the slocate package (sometimes packaged as mlocate)
>>> I had assumed it came default in your distro as it is the (IMO) easiest
>>> locator of files in Linux
>>> I recommend you download and install it if you havent already
>>>
>>> I had a look on rpmfind and found this
>>> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...?query=mlocate
>>>
>>> The only 'hassle' with the application is that it locates files in a
>>> database, which may be outdated, hence the need to update it first (or run
>>> a cron job updating it overnight)

>> thanks Shane - yes I've used locate lots on other linux's but it wasn't
>> packaged in the default group. I'll have a look at rpmfind if it isn't on
>> my install disks.
>> cheers
>>

> Hmm, you should download it from the repository. I don't know Mandriva
> so I can't tell you the way to access it. You should update your system
> with patches etc every so often from the repository anyway. I'd be
> surprised if slocate or mlocate is not in the repository.
>
> Um, are you sure you don't have updatedb? Does locate work? Because that
> comes from the same package as updatedb.
>
> Run the following from the command line:
>
> rpm -qa | grep locate
>
> and see if it finds the package. If the package is there run
>
> rpm -qil <package> | less
>
> to find out where updatedb is located. Even then you may have to run it
> as root.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

No it's not anywhere on the system Cliff. You can only run updatedb as
root.
cheers
brianM

BrianM

BrianM wrote:

> Just downloaded and installed JRE plugin for Firefox 1.5 in Mandriva 2007.
> Can't find where the Firefox plugins directory is. Not in hidden files
> under /home/user/.mozilla and there is no mozilla or firefox in /usr/lib,
> hasn't installed itself into firefox aboutlugins. Can't make a simlink
> until I find it.
> cheers
> brianM

Just to tidy this thread up - I did a workaround as per another
post. Also Urpmi'd slocate and installed that also
cheers
brianM