Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vista Ultimate: NZ price vs US Price

Vista Ultimate: NZ price vs US Price

whome

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:01:43 +1300, "whome" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>
>>I'm sure they can't argue support costs are higher - I don't believe MS
>>gives free support outside of their 0900 lines.

> You are wrong. Microsoft's support is actually surprisingly good,
> compared with other OS producers.
>
> They also have a tollfree number - 0800 800 004
>

> --
> Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:
>
> "People should take responsibility for their actions"
>
> - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the
> quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton.
> According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at
> the wrong time...

OK, wrong. I never used their support.

Xtra told me to call them once but I didn't believe it was an MS problem
(and I was right).

whome

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:41:50 +1300, "whome" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>

>>NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
>>(http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)

> Actually, $576+GST. Still a little high, though.
>

> --
> Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:
>
> "People should take responsibility for their actions"
>
> - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the
> quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton.
> According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at
> the wrong time...

I am not sure the tax on the US product, but possibly around 6%?

Scott Lemon

"whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
>>> (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)
>>>
>>> US Vista ultimate: $359 NZD (converted from $249USD).
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6309651.stm
>>>
>>> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in NZ?
>>> Does the NZ version come with additional functionality?
>>>
>>> Could Brett from MS NZ can answer this one?
>>>

>> Buy one from the USA. I'm not Brett - but that's the answer.
>>

> I don't intend on purchasing for some time but will certainly source a
> cheaper version from overseas at that time.
>
> I resent the pricing policy - if anything it should be cheaper here cos
> our wages are much less than in the US.

Yeah, I tried to tell Ferrari the same thing. Strangely enough, they laughed
at me.

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:33:09 +1300, "whome" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:41:50 +1300, "whome" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> exclaimed:
>>

>>>NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
>>>(http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)

>> Actually, $576+GST. Still a little high, though.

No sales tax on software in most areas.

HOWEVER, if you were to purchase the software from America, you have
to pay the 12.5% in import duties when you bring it in, hence, to be
fair, you should compare the ex-GST price.

--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

joe_90

whome wrote:
> NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
> (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)
>
> US Vista ultimate: $359 NZD (converted from $249USD).
>
> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in NZ? Does
> the NZ version come with additional functionality?
>
> Could Brett from MS NZ can answer this one?

It encourages the sale of new hardware/systems (OEM licence), which
Vista needs to support the 'enhanced user experience' (aka 'fluff').

A MS NZ spokesperson on TV news last night said they had carried out a
survey which suggested the 'majority of NZ PC's are capable of running
Vista'. The survey result indicated that 56% were Vista capable (no
doubt the bulk being at the lower end of the spec.), but then that's
marketing for you.

Philip

noddy wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 05:59:44 GMT,
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)z (Bruce Sinclair)
> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, noddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>> Given the the average kiwi home and business user runs pirated
>>> software without a qualm ...

>> (snip)
>>
>> So you are suggesting we are all crooks ? ... or even that there is a larger
>> number of crooks in NZ than elsewhere ?
>>
>> I can only assume you are making this up, as there is no data (to my
>> knowledge) to back that up.
>>
>> I note that 78.5 % of statistics are made up ... but your suggestion is just
>> silly, even amongst the made up stats.
>>

> of course I made it up
>
> NZ is a very honest country - just have a look
>
> http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...re-piracy-rate

This is bullshit. This is a website of fiction and lies, pretending to
prove a point by shouting the lie louder and louder. Where do these
figures come from? They made them up. And they can't even stand behind
their own lies. Click on the reputed datafile at
http://www.bsaa.com.au/downloads/PiracyStudy070704.pdf and, surprise
surprise, it's disappeared. Perhaps it was so ashamed of the company it
as keep[ing it scuttled out iof their website all on its own. Files with
the same name are downloadable elsewhere, all different, none
particularly informative, but the reality is that no proper study with
replicable methodology exists that tells us anything about the levels of
what the BSA lobby is pleased to call 'software piracy'.

They assume that a firm that is using unlicensed softare would have
licensed it, and would have paid full price. They assume that not
registering software you got with the machine equals piracy - whether
you use it or not. They demand full IRD-style audit trail for all
software purchases -which may well be beyond the ability of SMEs to
provide, seeing they are trying to run a business and not meet the
paranoid demands of a bunch of private dicks.

If ever there was a good argument for GPL software, it is the BSA and
its 'piracy' bullshit.

Philip

Philip

whome wrote:
> "Mathew Good" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 05:59:44 GMT,
>> (E-Mail Removed)z (Bruce Sinclair)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, noddy
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> (snip)
>>> (snip)
>>>
>>> So you are suggesting we are all crooks ? ... or even that there is a
>>> larger
>>> number of crooks in NZ than elsewhere ?
>>>
>>> I can only assume you are making this up, as there is no data (to my
>>> knowledge) to back that up.
>>>
>>> I note that 78.5 % of statistics are made up ... but your suggestion is
>>> just
>>> silly, even amongst the made up stats.
>>>

>> A friend was in Indonesia recently and his Glasses need replacing,
>> bifocal ones, well a local
>> Indonesian shop made a copy for him for $20nz including new modern metal
>> frames, nice slim lens,
>> only took a hour to do it.
>>
>> Here would cost some $700nz
>>
>> I thing that here in NZ we are totally being ripped off, so charge as much
>> as you can get away with
>> and the government sits on its hands and does nothing.
>>

> Possibly the govt could loosen the stranglehold certain professions maintain
> on their membership base. This would of course increase the competitveness
> of those professions.

Anhd of course you won't mind crashing into something when your cheap
glasses grinder dispenses something that stuffs up your vision big-time.

Yeah, right.

Philip

Philip

Bobs wrote:
> On Jan 30, 1:41 pm, "whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
>> (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)
>>
>> US Vista ultimate: $359 NZD (converted from $249USD).http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6309651.stm
>>
>> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in NZ? Does
>> the NZ version come with additional functionality?
>>
>> Could Brett from MS NZ can answer this one?

> Buy Office 2007 instead. XP is robust and I don't see the need to
> update to Vista. Office 2003 is old and creaky and stale, and Office
> 2007 is far superior and the leader in its field by a large margin.

A resounding endorsement. What dos Office 2007 do that its predecessors,
or its competitors, don't do?

Philip

Mathew Good

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 22:51:48 +1300, Philip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>whome wrote:
>> "Mathew Good" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 05:59:44 GMT,
>>> (E-Mail Removed)z (Bruce Sinclair)

>>> A friend was in Indonesia recently and his Glasses need replacing,
>>> bifocal ones, well a local
>>> Indonesian shop made a copy for him for $20nz including new modern metal
>>> frames, nice slim lens,
>>> only took a hour to do it.
>>>
>>> Here would cost some $700nz
>>>
>>> I thing that here in NZ we are totally being ripped off, so charge as much
>>> as you can get away with
>>> and the government sits on its hands and does nothing.
>>>

>> Possibly the govt could loosen the stranglehold certain professions maintain
>> on their membership base. This would of course increase the competitveness
>> of those professions.
>>

>Anhd of course you won't mind crashing into something when your cheap
>glasses grinder dispenses something that stuffs up your vision big-time.
>
>Yeah, right.
>
>Philip

What a Dick you are..

Mark Robinson

Philip wrote:
> whome wrote:
>> "Mathew Good" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> snip <
>>> A friend was in Indonesia recently and his Glasses need replacing,
>>> bifocal ones, well a local
>>> Indonesian shop made a copy for him for $20nz including new modern
>>> metal frames, nice slim lens,
>>> only took a hour to do it.
>>> Here would cost some $700nz
>>> I thing that here in NZ we are totally being ripped off, so charge as
>>> much as you can get away with
>>> and the government sits on its hands and does nothing.

>> Possibly the govt could loosen the stranglehold certain professions
>> maintain on their membership base. This would of course increase the
>> competitveness of those professions.

> Anhd of course you won't mind crashing into something when your cheap
> glasses grinder dispenses something that stuffs up your vision big-time.

Pretty much all the grinding that is done here is fitting to the frame. Optical
grinding happens in Australia (or further afield) as does all coating work
since they bought the corpse of Standard Optical and sent the coating machine
to the tip to ensure there was no competition.

Aint capitalism wunnerful.