Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vista Ultimate: NZ price vs US Price

Vista Ultimate: NZ price vs US Price

ashiri

whome wrote:
> NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
> (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)
>
> US Vista ultimate: $359 NZD (converted from $249USD).
>
> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in NZ? Does
> the NZ version come with additional functionality?
>
> Could Brett from MS NZ can answer this one?

A similar question was asked by APC mag regarding pricing of Vista in
Aus. I got the impression that the answer from MS's Aus boss was less
that convincing.

I reckon the answer is solely about maximising profits. Perhaps the
price will come down if uptake fails to meet targets.

I'll also look for more info on the pricing for Canada & India.

--
Morgan Ashley (Ashiri) Stevens

noddy

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:41:03 -0500, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"noddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:36:09 +1300, "whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>I resent the pricing policy - if anything it should be cheaper here
>>>cos our
>>>wages are much less than in the US.
>>>

>> I hope you are whining that we are poor and so they should take
>> pityon
>> us and charge us less. No, I am sure you are not as lame as that.
>>
>> If you are suggesting that because their wages bill is lower in
>> their
>> NZ branch then their software should be cheaper, you misunderstand
>> how
>> businesses run. They price according to profitability, and unit
>> costs
>> not just staffing costs. They set a target for their profits below
>> which it is not worth their while having the hassle of running the
>> joint. Given the the average kiwi home and business user runs
>> pirated
>> software without a qualm and given the pathetically small size of
>> our
>> business economy the pickings in NZ are relatively lean for MS. They
>> ramp up their costs until their projections show they have reached
>> an
>> optimum level of price and turnover for maximum profit. In the US
>> they do exactly the same. The difference is that in the US their
>> turnover is so much greater that their per unit costs are much lower
>> than in NZ, thus their optimum selling price is lower.

>Wow! All this time time I thought no one could possibly believe the
>nonsense they're taught in intro econ and business courses. But you're
>living proof that I was wrong.

I look forward to your point by point rebuttal

noddy

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 05:59:44 GMT,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)z (Bruce Sinclair)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, noddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>(snip)
>>Given the the average kiwi home and business user runs pirated
>>software without a qualm ...

>(snip)
>
>So you are suggesting we are all crooks ? ... or even that there is a larger
>number of crooks in NZ than elsewhere ?
>
>I can only assume you are making this up, as there is no data (to my
>knowledge) to back that up.
>
>I note that 78.5 % of statistics are made up ... but your suggestion is just
>silly, even amongst the made up stats.

of course I made it up

NZ is a very honest country - just have a look

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...re-piracy-rate

Peter

ashiri wrote:
> whome wrote:
>> NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
>> US Vista ultimate: $359 NZD (converted from $249USD).
>> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in NZ?
>> Does the NZ version come with additional functionality?
>> Could Brett from MS NZ can answer this one?
>>

> A similar question was asked by APC mag regarding pricing of Vista in
> Aus. I got the impression that the answer from MS's Aus boss was less
> that convincing.
> I reckon the answer is solely about maximising profits. Perhaps the
> price will come down if uptake fails to meet targets.

Yes, pricing when you are a monopoly is much different to what happens in a
market where customers have choice. Where you have monopoly power over a
market, you can price far higher, up to what the market can bear.
Also, check other countries. IIRC prices for WinXP in Thailand were v cheap
(this is MS versions, not the backyard copies).

Peter

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, noddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

(snip)
>Given the the average kiwi home and business user runs pirated
>software without a qualm ...

(snip)

So you are suggesting we are all crooks ? ... or even that there is a larger
number of crooks in NZ than elsewhere ?

I can only assume you are making this up, as there is no data (to my
knowledge) to back that up.

I note that 78.5 % of statistics are made up ... but your suggestion is just
silly, even amongst the made up stats.

whome

"ashiri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:45bed014$(E-Mail Removed)...
> whome wrote:
>> NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
>> (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)
>>
>> US Vista ultimate: $359 NZD (converted from $249USD).
>>
>> I don't understand why it costs nearly double to buy vista here in NZ?
>> Does
>> the NZ version come with additional functionality?
>>
>> Could Brett from MS NZ can answer this one?
>>

> A similar question was asked by APC mag regarding pricing of Vista in
> Aus. I got the impression that the answer from MS's Aus boss was less
> that convincing.
>
> I reckon the answer is solely about maximising profits. Perhaps the
> price will come down if uptake fails to meet targets.
>
> I'll also look for more info on the pricing for Canada & India.
>
> --
> Morgan Ashley (Ashiri) Stevens

I'm sure they can't argue support costs are higher - I don't believe MS
gives free support outside of their 0900 lines.

Economies of scale arguments or shipping cost arguments don't work - it's
just dvd that could be posted anywhere in the world for a couple of bucks.

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:01:43 +1300, "whome" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>I'm sure they can't argue support costs are higher - I don't believe MS
>gives free support outside of their 0900 lines.

You are wrong. Microsoft's support is actually surprisingly good,
compared with other OS producers.

They also have a tollfree number - 0800 800 004

--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Mathew Good

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 05:59:44 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)z (Bruce Sinclair)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, noddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>(snip)
>>Given the the average kiwi home and business user runs pirated
>>software without a qualm ...

>(snip)
>
>So you are suggesting we are all crooks ? ... or even that there is a larger
>number of crooks in NZ than elsewhere ?
>
>I can only assume you are making this up, as there is no data (to my
>knowledge) to back that up.
>
>I note that 78.5 % of statistics are made up ... but your suggestion is just
>silly, even amongst the made up stats.

A friend was in Indonesia recently and his Glasses need replacing, bifocal ones, well a local
Indonesian shop made a copy for him for $20nz including new modern metal frames, nice slim lens,
only took a hour to do it.

Here would cost some $700nz

I thing that here in NZ we are totally being ripped off, so charge as much as you can get away with
and the government sits on its hands and does nothing.

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:41:50 +1300, "whome" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>NZ vista ultimate : $648 NZD
>(http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_10007.html)

Actually, $576+GST. Still a little high, though.

--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

whome

"Mathew Good" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 05:59:44 GMT,
> (E-Mail Removed)z (Bruce Sinclair)
> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, noddy
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>(snip)
>>>Given the the average kiwi home and business user runs pirated
>>>software without a qualm ...

>>(snip)
>>
>>So you are suggesting we are all crooks ? ... or even that there is a
>>larger
>>number of crooks in NZ than elsewhere ?
>>
>>I can only assume you are making this up, as there is no data (to my
>>knowledge) to back that up.
>>
>>I note that 78.5 % of statistics are made up ... but your suggestion is
>>just
>>silly, even amongst the made up stats.
>>

> A friend was in Indonesia recently and his Glasses need replacing,
> bifocal ones, well a local
> Indonesian shop made a copy for him for $20nz including new modern metal
> frames, nice slim lens,
> only took a hour to do it.
>
> Here would cost some $700nz
>
> I thing that here in NZ we are totally being ripped off, so charge as much
> as you can get away with
> and the government sits on its hands and does nothing.

Possibly the govt could loosen the stranglehold certain professions maintain
on their membership base. This would of course increase the competitveness
of those professions.