Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to automatically limit GPRS-usage to urgent matters only ?

How to automatically limit GPRS-usage to urgent matters only ?

Jan

Hi,

Situation :
Multiple engineers in the field using laptops most of them running WinXP
(some home some prof). On the road they have GPRS (pay per MB) connectivity
for urgent matters (e-mail, transmission of worksheets, ..). For less
urgent communications they all have ADSL (flat rate) at home and in the
office they can connect directly to the company-LAN.

Questions :
1. How can I automatically disallow some programs to communicate when only
GPRS connectivity is available ? I don't want for example "windows update"
or "antivirus update" to proceed using the expensive GPRS-connectivity.
These programs should only communicate when ADSL or LAN connectivity is
available.
2. How can I prevent the engineers from surfing the internet when only GPRS
connectivity is available ? (Telling them not to do so, seems not enough
for a few of them)

Any hints most welcome.

Thanks,
Jan

Mungo Bulge

In our organisation, we have an acceptable use policy, which works
quite well. However, you have to have the backing of upper management.
Then when you find the first violation, you charge back the cost. When
you find the second violation, you fire the person. But then, we take
our practices and procedure seriously. An other organisation I work
for had a "3rd Party" oversee the security aspects of their networks
and assets. That 3rd part was called IM Secure, they were responsible
to the Provost Marshal and they carrier 9mm side arm. Nobody argued
over policies.

"Jan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi,
|
| Situation :
| Multiple engineers in the field using laptops most of them running
WinXP
| (some home some prof). On the road they have GPRS (pay per MB)
connectivity
| for urgent matters (e-mail, transmission of worksheets, ..). For
less
| urgent communications they all have ADSL (flat rate) at home and in
the
| office they can connect directly to the company-LAN.
|
| Questions :
| 1. How can I automatically disallow some programs to communicate
when only
| GPRS connectivity is available ? I don't want for example "windows
update"
| or "antivirus update" to proceed using the expensive
GPRS-connectivity.
| These programs should only communicate when ADSL or LAN connectivity
is
| available.
| 2. How can I prevent the engineers from surfing the internet when
only GPRS
| connectivity is available ? (Telling them not to do so, seems not
enough
| for a few of them)
|
| Any hints most welcome.
|
| Thanks,
| Jan

Jan

Mungo,

Thanks for your suggestions.
However this is Belgium, a country were arms are mostly illegal and were
employees are very (too) well protected. I seriously doubt an employee can
be forced over here to pay back the cost of the connection or can be fired
because he used the internet through the wrong connection. It would anyway
be a very complicated procedure, and with a bit a bad luck, the whole
company might go on strike.

Anyway, even with the perfect employee, what to do with "Windows Update" and
the "Antivirus update" which I both like to be in "automatic update mode" in
case of ADSL or LAN connectivity, but NO updates during GPRS-connectivity.
Any solution here ?

Thanks,
Jan
"Mungo Bulge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In our organisation, we have an acceptable use policy, which works
> quite well. However, you have to have the backing of upper management.
> Then when you find the first violation, you charge back the cost. When
> you find the second violation, you fire the person. But then, we take
> our practices and procedure seriously. An other organisation I work
> for had a "3rd Party" oversee the security aspects of their networks
> and assets. That 3rd part was called IM Secure, they were responsible
> to the Provost Marshal and they carrier 9mm side arm. Nobody argued
> over policies.
>
> "Jan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Hi,
> |
> | Situation :
> | Multiple engineers in the field using laptops most of them running
> WinXP
> | (some home some prof). On the road they have GPRS (pay per MB)
> connectivity
> | for urgent matters (e-mail, transmission of worksheets, ..). For
> less
> | urgent communications they all have ADSL (flat rate) at home and in
> the
> | office they can connect directly to the company-LAN.
> |
> | Questions :
> | 1. How can I automatically disallow some programs to communicate
> when only
> | GPRS connectivity is available ? I don't want for example "windows
> update"
> | or "antivirus update" to proceed using the expensive
> GPRS-connectivity.
> | These programs should only communicate when ADSL or LAN connectivity
> is
> | available.
> | 2. How can I prevent the engineers from surfing the internet when
> only GPRS
> | connectivity is available ? (Telling them not to do so, seems not
> enough
> | for a few of them)
> |
> | Any hints most welcome.
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Jan

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

For a ready solution, maybe deterministicnetworks.com has what you need.

Another simple solution is to install a firewall like ZoneAlarm, and define
that only specified apps (email) can access internet. Turn it off when on the
corp LAN.

Self-made solution:
Write a IM driver that will filter DNS requsts and pass only servers allowed
by you.
So, random apps won't be able to connect to random sites.
Also it can filter traffic by protocol and port.
Also it can count all traffic and show popup nags to the user.

Regards,
--PA