Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > BSOD - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

BSOD - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com

Hi Guys,

I have in front of me a Pentium 4 Socket 478 PC. Motherboard is a ECS
L4S8A2. Also has a internal dialup modem (not used) and a AGP graphics
card. Running XP SP2.

The computer is giving BSOD's. Details are:

"The problem seems to be casued by the following file: win32k.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical Info:
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xDFFF0829, 0x00000000, 0xBF8B5D36, 0x00000000)

win32k.sys - Address BF8B5D36 base at BF800000, datestamp 43446a58"

Another little bit of history to this problem. Before christmas it was
spontaneous rebooting. So they had a guy format it. After that it was
okay until the BSOD errors started. Subsequent to the BSOD errors
various items in device manager have been getting yellow exclamations
marks. Namely CDROM drive got Code 41 - device driver present but
cannot find hardware (cd drive is there in bios and a little regfix i
found on the net fixed it) but I also have a fail on network card
(code 19 registry corrupt/damaged) and a code 19 also on sound card.

I have run memtest86+ and it is failing on test 7 twice out of 4 runs.
The memory address is it failing at is different tho.....

I am gonna try to get it to fault again and see if its always
win32k.sys, but does anyone else have any help on this one? Something
is causing failures...

Oh and it has a cheap and nasty 300W Hyena PSU....which has been in it
for some time.

Cheers

-Al

Cadae

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have in front of me a Pentium 4 Socket 478 PC. Motherboard is a ECS
> L4S8A2. Also has a internal dialup modem (not used) and a AGP graphics
> card. Running XP SP2.
>
> The computer is giving BSOD's. Details are:
>
> "The problem seems to be casued by the following file: win32k.sys
>
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
>
> Technical Info:
> *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xDFFF0829, 0x00000000, 0xBF8B5D36, 0x00000000)
>
> win32k.sys - Address BF8B5D36 base at BF800000, datestamp 43446a58"
>
> Another little bit of history to this problem. Before christmas it was
> spontaneous rebooting. So they had a guy format it. After that it was
> okay until the BSOD errors started. Subsequent to the BSOD errors
> various items in device manager have been getting yellow exclamations
> marks. Namely CDROM drive got Code 41 - device driver present but
> cannot find hardware (cd drive is there in bios and a little regfix i
> found on the net fixed it) but I also have a fail on network card
> (code 19 registry corrupt/damaged) and a code 19 also on sound card.
>
> I have run memtest86+ and it is failing on test 7 twice out of 4 runs.
> The memory address is it failing at is different tho.....
>
> I am gonna try to get it to fault again and see if its always
> win32k.sys, but does anyone else have any help on this one? Something
> is causing failures...
>
> Oh and it has a cheap and nasty 300W Hyena PSU....which has been in it
> for some time.
>
> Cheers
>
> -Al

Sounds like a hardware problem - could be any one of (in order of
likelihood):
RAM, PSU, hard disk,Motherboard,CPU. I'd try swapping each of these with a
borrowed or old working component till the fault goes away.

PC

bok

> Hi Guys,
>
> I have in front of me a Pentium 4 Socket 478 PC. Motherboard is a ECS
> L4S8A2. Also has a internal dialup modem (not used) and a AGP graphics
> card. Running XP SP2.
>
> The computer is giving BSOD's. Details are:
>
> "The problem seems to be casued by the following file: win32k.sys
>
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
>
> Technical Info:
> *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xDFFF0829, 0x00000000, 0xBF8B5D36, 0x00000000)
>
> win32k.sys - Address BF8B5D36 base at BF800000, datestamp 43446a58"
>
> Another little bit of history to this problem. Before christmas it was
> spontaneous rebooting. So they had a guy format it. After that it was
> okay until the BSOD errors started.

The change from rebooting to BSOD could be accounted for by turning off
the XP Startup and Recovery 'Automatically Restart' on system failure
option accessible from system properties.

This error normally means kernel mode software (O/S or device driver) is
attempting to access memory using an invalid memory address. It's most
likely a hardware issue as suggested by Cadae. I'd also add overheating
to your check list. Check CPU and M/B temp sensors if possible.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>The computer is giving BSOD's. Details are:
>
>"The problem seems to be casued by the following file: win32k.sys
>
>PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
>
>Technical Info:
>*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xDFFF0829, 0x00000000, 0xBF8B5D36, 0x00000000)

From the NT resourse kit but it still holds true.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Component: Executive STOP

Explanation:
This is a Windows NT Executive character-mode STOP message. It
indicates a page fault in the address space reserved for nonpaged
data.

User Action:
If this is the first time you have booted after installing additional
hardware, remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft
Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its
drivers are compatible with Windows NT. For information about the
hardware, contact the supplier.If you are installing Windows NT for
the first time, check the Windows NT system requirements, including
amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system.
Also check the Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the system
can run Windows NT. If Windows NT is loaded and no new hardware has
been installed, reboot with recovery options set to create a dump
file. If the message continues to appear, select the Last Known Good
option when you reboot. If there is no Last Known Good configuration,
try using the Emergency Repair Disk. If you do not have an Emergency
Repair Disk, contact your technical support group.
--
For the animation alone (first half at least)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jldQ7Z-LawQ

Otter

In news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com,
(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have in front of me a Pentium 4 Socket 478 PC. Motherboard is a ECS
> L4S8A2. Also has a internal dialup modem (not used) and a AGP graphics
> card. Running XP SP2.
>
> The computer is giving BSOD's. Details are:
>
> "The problem seems to be casued by the following file: win32k.sys
>
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
>
> Technical Info:
> *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xDFFF0829, 0x00000000, 0xBF8B5D36, 0x00000000)
>
> win32k.sys - Address BF8B5D36 base at BF800000, datestamp 43446a58"
>
> Another little bit of history to this problem. Before christmas it was
> spontaneous rebooting. So they had a guy format it. After that it was
> okay until the BSOD errors started. Subsequent to the BSOD errors
> various items in device manager have been getting yellow exclamations
> marks. Namely CDROM drive got Code 41 - device driver present but
> cannot find hardware (cd drive is there in bios and a little regfix i
> found on the net fixed it) but I also have a fail on network card
> (code 19 registry corrupt/damaged) and a code 19 also on sound card.
>
> I have run memtest86+ and it is failing on test 7 twice out of 4 runs.
> The memory address is it failing at is different tho.....
>
> I am gonna try to get it to fault again and see if its always
> win32k.sys, but does anyone else have any help on this one? Something
> is causing failures...
>
> Oh and it has a cheap and nasty 300W Hyena PSU....which has been in it
> for some time.

Seen page 50 of the MB manual? It warns about loading optimized default
options...

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com

Thanks - all good suggestions.

I was very suspect of the PSU or RAM. Doesnt the fact that there are
errors in the registry suggest bad sectors on the HDD?

Bad sectors on the HDD could be caused by low or faulty PSU?

Cheers

-Al

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com

> The change from rebooting to BSOD could be accounted for by turning off
> the XP Startup and Recovery 'Automatically Restart' on system failure
> option accessible from system properties.

Good point.

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com

One more thing. The PC stayed on all night without BSOD.

Whats a good program to stress test the PC in various ways?

I tried that prime one but it complained about not getting the result
it expected and terminated the tests.

-Al

Rock

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> One more thing. The PC stayed on all night without BSOD.
>
> Whats a good program to stress test the PC in various ways?
>
> I tried that prime one but it complained about not getting the result
> it expected and terminated the tests.

You tested the memory and got errors so have you changed the memory?

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

~misfit~

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> One more thing. The PC stayed on all night without BSOD.
>
> Whats a good program to stress test the PC in various ways?
>
> I tried that prime one but it complained about not getting the result
> it expected and terminated the tests.

LOL!!11!!!!!

That means that either your CPU is {text removed}, generally fusked or that
your RAM is likewise.

You have your answer crossposting moron. Penalty for crossposting is
diagnosis only. No advice on how to fix the problem will be forthcoming as
you ignored my request about not crossposting in the last thread.

Hint: First sign of trouble that may be hardware related, run Prime95. If it
fails, your system is fusked. {Several lines of helpful text excluded} until
either it runs fine or you ascertain that it's not fixable. If it passes and
trouble persists run Spinrite 6.0. It's well worth the investment.

If a PC won't run Prime95 for <minimum> 12 hours with no errors it's
junk-in-a-box.
--
Shaun.