Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Overclocking Athlon XP 1800+

Overclocking Athlon XP 1800+

Lindsay Rollo

This CPU runs at 1.54GHz by default. It's mountd on a Gigabyte
7VM400m-RZ motherboard.

Gigabyte provide EasyTune 4 software for overclocking.

Has anyone any experience of overclocking this particular CPU and what
sort of results did you get?

Jason Clinton

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:25:21 +1300, Lindsay Rollo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This CPU runs at 1.54GHz by default. It's mountd on a Gigabyte
>7VM400m-RZ motherboard.
>
>Gigabyte provide EasyTune 4 software for overclocking.
>
>Has anyone any experience of overclocking this particular CPU and what
>sort of results did you get?

It depends on what revision of the 1800+ you have.

I got one of the latest ones (the core name escapes me) but it was
multiplier unlocked.

I could squeeze 2200+ performance out of it by overclocking it to
1.8Ghz on a 177Mhz bus and 10x multiplier using a stock standard
cooler.

Go to www.overclockers.com and see what other people have managed to
achieve.

~misfit~

Jason Clinton wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:25:21 +1300, Lindsay Rollo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > This CPU runs at 1.54GHz by default. It's mountd on a Gigabyte
> > 7VM400m-RZ motherboard.
> >
> > Gigabyte provide EasyTune 4 software for overclocking.
> >
> > Has anyone any experience of overclocking this particular CPU and
> > what sort of results did you get?

> It depends on what revision of the 1800+ you have.

There were three XP1800+ versions made. Palamino, Thoroughbred A and T'bred
B.

> I got one of the latest ones (the core name escapes me) but it was
> multiplier unlocked.

I believe that would have been either of the T'breds then.

> I could squeeze 2200+ performance out of it by overclocking it to
> 1.8Ghz on a 177Mhz bus and 10x multiplier using a stock standard
> cooler.

Sounds like the T'bred A then. They were nowhere near as OC-able as the B's.
The B's had an extra layer of metal incorporated into the cores to reduce
current leakage and allow faster speeds.

Palaminos you could get around a 15% OC but they got really hot. T'bred A's
would often do 25%. Tbred B's have been known to go as far as 50%. (All
quotes on air cooling)

I have a T'bred B JUIHB (XP1800+) and it will run at 2GHz easilly at stock
vcore. And that's not just any old 2GHz, that's 10 x 200MHz FSB, around 15%
more grunty than the 12 x 166MHz (2GHz) XP2400+ model. FSB is very much more
important than pure CPU speed when it comes to performance.

Note that I stated stock vcore, therefore running nice and cool on air. I
used to use the standard HSF but aquired a better and one so saw no reason
to not fit it. Even though it wasn't really needed, it dropped core temp by
around 7C. That's always good.

If I want to increase the vcore I can get it to do 2.2GHz with the (still
fairly simple, Copper plate, alloy fins, 80mm fan) aftermarket cooler.
However, it needs around 1.775V vcore to do that stably and runs in the mid
60's Celcius at 100% load. I'm not comfortable with that (although I know
others who would be).

I'm happy running it at 2GHz and idling at 35C core temp, reaching around
47C at 100% load.

Short story; If it's a Palomino it's not worth trying to OC. If it's a
T'bred A you'll get a bit more out of it if you squeeze it. If it's T'bred B
then, depending on the core, you could get a 50% OC.

I used to have a Palamino myself but, when the Tbred B's first came out, I
bought one at OEM computers at Manukau and sold my Palomino on Trademe for
$7 more than the new T'bred cost. LOL.

If you don't know what model it is, Google the numbers on it or install a
programme like Aida 32 or run CPU-Z.

> Go to www.overclockers.com and see what other people have managed to
> achieve.

Probably a good idea. I haven't looked there for years.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.