Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Gentoo to Kubuntu experience

Re: Gentoo to Kubuntu experience

Rob S

Allistar wrote:
> Hi all,
> After a recent hard drive failure I needed to get my system back up and
> running ASAP so I still work. I was running Gentoo, and will install this
> again on my new workstation that I've ordered, but didn't want the time
> delay of installing Gentoo on my current box (with a temporary root drive).
> So I figured I'd giver Kubuntu a go. Here are my experiences:
>
> - the install was very easy. Everything was detected. The only issue was it
> detected both network cards but activated the one the cable wasn't plugged
> into, rather than the one it was. No problem - twas an easy fix.
>
> - installing new packages is a breeze. No harder or easier than with Gentoo.
> It does seem that Gentoo has many more packages available, and that they
> are kept more up to date.

I find that surprising. Gentoo is an older distro, but with the rapid
rise in popularity pf Ubuntu, I'd have thought the concomitant
attraction of developers to the distro would have ensured a larger
library of applications.

> - even though there is a nice GUI for configuring multi-head setups, it
> assumes dual head and doesn't handle a triple head setup at all. Getting
> this working required manual tweaking of the xorg.conf file. Again, no big
> deal.
>
> - performance wise it seems slower. More CPU is used when not doing much.
> One application that seems much faster is the loading of Konqueror (I
> presume there is some sort of precaching going on).

From what I've read in many articles, Gentoo and Gentoo based distros
run more efficiently than Debian and Debian based distros. Some of this
efficiency is probably due to Gentoo requiring a very much hands-on
experience in the installation process.

> - I dislike the apparent lack of control - I like to know exactly what
> updates are happening and prefer hand crafting configuration files myself
> so I'm aware of all of the options, as well as new options.

Ubuntu strives to be the first choice alternative to MS Windows, so it
tries to make processes like installation and updates as easy and
trouble-free as possible, requiring little of the new user beyond an
ability to follow simple instructions.

If you want more control of the installation, there is an "alternate"
iso available which features a text installer giving much greater
control over what and where applications are installed. This would have
recognized both nics and queried which to use as primary.

> Overall I like it and can see why other people do too. I'll be moving back
> to Gentoo when my new computer arrives though.

I'm thinking about changing to Gentoo, as my system is a bit low-end
cpu-wise (Celeron 1.7 o/c to 1.9 so more efficient cpu utilization
would be a benefit. Trouble is, I don't want to spend days or weeks
setting it up. I've got a spare 15Gb partition, so I'm mulling over
installing Sabayon in dual boot mode. Sabayon is Gentoo based, but with
a simple gui installer (as well as gparted and demos of QuakeIV & Cold
War). Trouble is, Sabayon is also trying to be all things for all
people, and the iso bloats out to 3.2Gb. I hope it doesn't auto-load all
sorts of unnecessary services and daemons, negating any efficiency
gains from being Gentoo based. I've tried it as a live cd and also as a
virtual machine (VMware and VirtualBox), but there is a performance hit
using either method. I suppose I'll just have to install it and see what
happens.

--

Rob
http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

Beta. Software undergoes beta testing shortly before it's released. Beta
is Latin for 'still doesn't work.'

Enkidu

Rob S wrote:

>> - performance wise it seems slower. More CPU is used when not doing much.
>> One application that seems much faster is the loading of Konqueror (I
>> presume there is some sort of precaching going on).
>>

> From what I've read in many articles, Gentoo and Gentoo based distros
> run more efficiently than Debian and Debian based distros. Some of this
> efficiency is probably due to Gentoo requiring a very much hands-on
> experience in the installation process.

I don't believe that the efficiency gains are that big, and generally
stem from the reduced amount of stuff that runs, and not from the fact
that everything is compiled.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Robert Cooze

Enkidu wrote:
> Rob S wrote:
>>>
>>> - performance wise it seems slower. More CPU is used when not doing
>>> much.
>>> One application that seems much faster is the loading of Konqueror (I
>>> presume there is some sort of precaching going on).
>>>

>> From what I've read in many articles, Gentoo and Gentoo based distros
>> run more efficiently than Debian and Debian based distros. Some of
>> this efficiency is probably due to Gentoo requiring a very much
>> hands-on experience in the installation process.
>>

> I don't believe that the efficiency gains are that big, and generally
> stem from the reduced amount of stuff that runs, and not from the fact
> that everything is compiled.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

You would be most correct there. Now I am using Gentoo I moved from
slackware no real change in speed but I liked the way Gentoo managed the
packages not that slackware had it wrong It is just as things get more
advanced the more things need other things and you are at the mercy of
the documentation and the packager!

Kubuntu and windows xp time won't stay Uplink Computer Information 2 08-14-2006 09:32 PM
kubuntu John Jay Smith Computer Support 11 02-17-2006 09:58 PM
kubuntu - k3b Andrew NZ Computing 2 02-14-2006 11:52 PM
Are there any Kubuntu Live CDs around? GraB NZ Computing 15 09-29-2005 10:31 AM
Is there a person who I experience absurd event that experience? PS2 gamer Cisco 4 06-01-2004 07:52 PM

Advertisments