Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Over the limit

Over the limit

Joy

The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over our limit
two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have personally found ihug to
be most responsive to my pleas for assistance and their downtime has not
bothered me over the past two years that we've been with them.
How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed at
off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
How do others manage this, any ideas?
One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but apparently, it
eats up band width.
Joy

Shane

Joy wrote:

> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over our
> limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have personally found
> ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for assistance and their downtime
> has not bothered me over the past two years that we've been with them.
> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed at
> off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
> How do others manage this, any ideas?
> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but apparently, it
> eats up band width.
> Joy

nz.comp helpdesk, thank you for you query.

I note that you are using windows, overnight downloading is possibly
achieved with the scheduling function available with windows
http://www.iopus.com/guides/winscheduler.htm

Another option is to configure your download application to only use
bandwidth during 2am - 10am

I recall you also had something to do with linux, cron and at come to the
rescue in much the same way as windows schedular.

Again another option is to setup the download application of your choice to
only download during off peak times

Stuart

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:epchvv$oij$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed at
> off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.

If you're downloading from bittorrent, many clients offer scheduled
downloading, which you can use to effectively put the clients to sleep until
a certain hour. My client of choice is http://www.utorrent.com -- it's
scheduler is simple and easy to use.

If you're downloading stuff from the Web, Free Download Manager
(http://www.freedownloadmanager.org) is pretty configurable to do the same.

Stuart

-=rjh=-

Joy wrote:
> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over our limit
> two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have personally found ihug to
> be most responsive to my pleas for assistance and their downtime has not
> bothered me over the past two years that we've been with them.
> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed at
> off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
> How do others manage this, any ideas?
> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but apparently, it
> eats up band width.

Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play it
back later.

Joy

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news:epcic0$p03$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joy wrote:
>
>> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over our
>> limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have personally found
>> ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for assistance and their downtime
>> has not bothered me over the past two years that we've been with them.
>> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed
>> at
>> off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
>> How do others manage this, any ideas?
>> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but apparently, it
>> eats up band width.
>> Joy

> nz.comp helpdesk, thank you for you query.
>
> I note that you are using windows, overnight downloading is possibly
> achieved with the scheduling function available with windows
> http://www.iopus.com/guides/winscheduler.htm
>
> Another option is to configure your download application to only use
> bandwidth during 2am - 10am
>
> I recall you also had something to do with linux, cron and at come to the
> rescue in much the same way as windows schedular.
>
> Again another option is to setup the download application of your choice
> only download during off peak times

Thanks helpdesk, you are as good as those at ihug.
Helpdesk people deserve medals and a decent raise.
Joy

Craig Sutton

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45b9d9d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joy wrote:
>> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over our
>> limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have personally found
>> ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for assistance and their downtime
>> has not bothered me over the past two years that we've been with them.
>> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed
>> at off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
>> How do others manage this, any ideas?
>> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but apparently, it
>> eats up band width.

> Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play it
> back later.

Buy a $5 fm radio...

Rob S

Craig Sutton wrote:

> "-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45b9d9d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Joy wrote:
>>> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over
>>> our limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have
>>> personally found ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for
>>> assistance and their downtime has not bothered me over the past two
>>> years that we've been with them.
>>> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in
>>> bed at off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
>>> How do others manage this, any ideas?
>>> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but
>>> apparently, it eats up band width.

>> Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play it
>> back later.

> Buy a $5 fm radio...

That would save heaps. Streaming music could easily use 1Mb minute or
more, depending on the bitrate being streamed.

--

Rob
http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

Historically speaking, the presence of wheels in Unix has never
precluded their reinvention. - Larry Wall

Robert Cooze

Craig Sutton wrote:

> "-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45b9d9d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Joy wrote:
>>> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over
>>> our limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have
>>> personally found ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for
>>> assistance and their downtime has not bothered me over the past two
>>> years that we've been with them.
>>> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in
>>> bed at off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
>>> How do others manage this, any ideas?
>>> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but
>>> apparently, it eats up band width.

>> Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play it
>> back later.

> Buy a $5 fm radio...

Year but most NZ radio stations are just crap! to steel a phrase from
the one! well here in Hamilton Auckland was not much better I find some
of the very little provincial stations are rather cool.

Joy

"Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:epcoli$54q$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45b9d9d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Joy wrote:
>>> The family are putting on the pressure to change. We've gone over our
>>> limit two months running with ihug's medium plan. I have personally
>>> found ihug to be most responsive to my pleas for assistance and their
>>> downtime has not bothered me over the past two years that we've been
>>> with them.
>>> How easy would it be to set up overnight downloading? We're all in bed
>>> at off peak times which I suppose is normal for households.
>>> How do others manage this, any ideas?
>>> One culprit has been streaming radio, great music etc, but apparently,
>>> it eats up band width.

>> Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play it
>> back later.

> Buy a $5 fm radio...

Some overseas radio stations play really cool music which we don't hear much
on local.
Joy

-=rjh=-

Rob S wrote:
> Craig Sutton wrote:
>>
>> "-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:45b9d9d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Record the streaming radio to your hard drive (overnight), and play
>>> it back later.

>> Buy a $5 fm radio...

> That would save heaps. Streaming music could easily use 1Mb minute or
> more, depending on the bitrate being streamed.

Could equally suggest the OP could go back to using pen and paper, buy a
newspaper instead of using a web browser, etc. Just what is the point of
having broadband if you don't use it?

The OP was clearly interested in streaming radio; the range of excellent
music and other programming (with almost no advertising) is amazing. I
listen to almost nothing else (apart from podcasts).