Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > VDLS2 coming

VDLS2 coming

GraB

I heard something on talkback radio about Orcon bringing VDSL2 to NZ,
leapfrogging ADSL2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-hi...scriber_Line_2

Orcon has signed a NZ$30 million deal with Siemens to roll out VDSL2
in 2007. Orcon's network will cover Auckland, Christchurch,
Wellington, Hastings, Napier, Tauranga, Hamilton, Dunedin, Nelson and
New Plymouth with "packages of broadband, video services, internet
television and a phone line for $50 to $60 a month[2]"

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

What's "VDLS2"?

El Chippy

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 05:52:43 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> What's "VDLS2"?

A typo you anal retentive prick.. time for you to join your mate
Mahongy/Aquilegia in the kill fle.

Mutlley

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>What's "VDLS2"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDSL2

whome

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I heard something on talkback radio about Orcon bringing VDSL2 to NZ,
> leapfrogging ADSL2
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-hi...scriber_Line_2
>
> Orcon has signed a NZ$30 million deal with Siemens to roll out VDSL2
> in 2007. Orcon's network will cover Auckland, Christchurch,
> Wellington, Hastings, Napier, Tauranga, Hamilton, Dunedin, Nelson and
> New Plymouth with "packages of broadband, video services, internet
> television and a phone line for $50 to $60 a month[2]"

Orcon is all talk. They are typical of a company promising the lastest
high tech products with insufficient end-to-end business analysis.

e,g, what modems have they picked and how do they interoperate with existing
plant.

What is the nature of the unbundling agreement and the associated
limitations, eg, physical, technical, logistical, and financial.

Are provisioning and billing systems up to speed with the new products.

Back-end data highways enough? What if people are abusing p2p?

Marketing aspects, eg, it would not be a good look for people to be using
their full monthly caps in 1/2 hour. With increased speed you'd expect an
increased cap otherwise what is the use of the extra speed?

I am skeptical, quite rightly after being in NZ for 3 years and there has
been mostly talk talk talk.

Dianthus Mimulus

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:39:09 +1300, whome wrote:

> Back-end data highways enough? What if people are abusing p2p?
>
> Marketing aspects, eg, it would not be a good look for people to be using
> their full monthly caps in 1/2 hour. With increased speed you'd expect an
> increased cap otherwise what is the use of the extra speed?

I would expect that they would get either an increased cap or no cap at
all.

The idea of capping internet television transmissions is just plain stupid.

If you've got that sort of pipe into your home you should expect to be
able to use it.

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918

Dianthus Mimulus

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:39:09 +1300, whome wrote:

> I am skeptical, quite rightly after being in NZ for 3 years and there has
> been mostly talk talk talk.

Three years residence in NZ? You're not qualified to comment on what we do
in this country. If you don't like it, go back from whence you came.

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918

Nik Coughlin

Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:39:09 +1300, whome wrote:
>
>> I am skeptical, quite rightly after being in NZ for 3 years and
>> there has been mostly talk talk talk.

> Three years residence in NZ? You're not qualified to comment on what
> we do in this country. If you don't like it, go back from whence you
> came.

Wow. I've never killfiled anyone before. Congratulations. I even had to
Google to find out how to do it.

Chris Hope

Nik Coughlin wrote:

> Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:39:09 +1300, whome wrote:
>>
>>> I am skeptical, quite rightly after being in NZ for 3 years and
>>> there has been mostly talk talk talk.

>> Three years residence in NZ? You're not qualified to comment on what
>> we do in this country. If you don't like it, go back from whence you
>> came.

> Wow. I've never killfiled anyone before. Congratulations. I even
> had to Google to find out how to do it.

Just watch out - he changes his posting name every few weeks. The x-face
stays the same though (if your news client supports them) so easy to
recognise.

Dianthus Mimulus

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 02:49:57 +1300, GraB wrote:

> I heard something on talkback radio about Orcon bringing VDSL2 to NZ,
> leapfrogging ADSL2
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-hi...scriber_Line_2
>
> Orcon has signed a NZ$30 million deal with Siemens to roll out VDSL2
> in 2007. Orcon's network will cover Auckland, Christchurch,
> Wellington, Hastings, Napier, Tauranga, Hamilton, Dunedin, Nelson and
> New Plymouth with "packages of broadband, video services, internet
> television and a phone line for $50 to $60 a month[2]"

Good news!