Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firefox Rules

Firefox Rules

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Looks like IE7 has only succeeded in replacing IE6, it has done nothing to
stem the increase in market share of Firefox:
<http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196901142>.

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:21:45 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> exclaimed:

>Looks like IE7 has only succeeded in replacing IE6, it has done nothing to
>stem the increase in market share of Firefox:
><http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196901142>.

Isn't it funny. FF is now the buggiest, most insecure browser, yet you
are still singing its praises as though it was the second coming.

What happened to "don't use insecure browsers"?

--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Zipper

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:21:45 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> exclaimed:
>
>> Looks like IE7 has only succeeded in replacing IE6, it has done nothing to
>> stem the increase in market share of Firefox:
>> <http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196901142>.

> Isn't it funny. FF is now the buggiest, most insecure browser, yet you
> are still singing its praises as though it was the second coming.
>
> What happened to "don't use insecure browsers"?

I wouldn't know about it being the buggiest etc but it definitely isn't
as nice as Opera or as fast as Opera. I often wonder why it is so
popular.... I assume it is just the fact that it is open source and the
open source crowd feel obliged to support it. I will stick with Opera
as it is the most secure still and feels the nicest for me at least.

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:02:08 +1300, Zipper <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:21:45 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> exclaimed:
>>
>>> Looks like IE7 has only succeeded in replacing IE6, it has done nothing to
>>> stem the increase in market share of Firefox:
>>> <http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196901142>.

>> Isn't it funny. FF is now the buggiest, most insecure browser, yet you
>> are still singing its praises as though it was the second coming.
>>
>> What happened to "don't use insecure browsers"?
>>

>I wouldn't know about it being the buggiest etc but it definitely isn't
>as nice as Opera or as fast as Opera. I often wonder why it is so
>popular.... I assume it is just the fact that it is open source and the
>open source crowd feel obliged to support it. I will stick with Opera
>as it is the most secure still and feels the nicest for me at least.

Yup, I agree 100%.

I think FF is popular because of the viral marketing that goes with a
lot of OSS, because Google gives it serious amounts of support in
several avenues (It is pretty much Google's browser), and because many
people don't know that Opera is free (and a lot more secure, etc).

Opera absolutely pwns Firefox, and IE for that matter.

--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Nik Coughlin

Fred Dagg wrote:
> I think FF is popular because of the viral marketing that goes with a
> lot of OSS, because Google gives it serious amounts of support in
> several avenues (It is pretty much Google's browser), and because many
> people don't know that Opera is free (and a lot more secure, etc).
>
> Opera absolutely pwns Firefox, and IE for that matter.

Another reason is that people get hooked on the extensions in Firefox.
There are a lot that I use all the time, so FF is my main browser, despite
Opera being faster and more accurate at rendering pages.

Fred Dagg

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:00:36 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Fred Dagg wrote:
>> I think FF is popular because of the viral marketing that goes with a
>> lot of OSS, because Google gives it serious amounts of support in
>> several avenues (It is pretty much Google's browser), and because many
>> people don't know that Opera is free (and a lot more secure, etc).
>>
>> Opera absolutely pwns Firefox, and IE for that matter.

>Another reason is that people get hooked on the extensions in Firefox.
>There are a lot that I use all the time, so FF is my main browser, despite
>Opera being faster and more accurate at rendering pages.

But the thing is, most of the extensions are built into Opera
anyway... (eg Mouse Gestures).

--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Chris Hope

Fred Dagg wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:00:36 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>>Fred Dagg wrote:
>>> I think FF is popular because of the viral marketing that goes with
>>> a lot of OSS, because Google gives it serious amounts of support in
>>> several avenues (It is pretty much Google's browser), and because
>>> many people don't know that Opera is free (and a lot more secure,
>>> etc).
>>>
>>> Opera absolutely pwns Firefox, and IE for that matter.

>>Another reason is that people get hooked on the extensions in Firefox.
>>There are a lot that I use all the time, so FF is my main browser,
>>despite Opera being faster and more accurate at rendering pages.
>>

> But the thing is, most of the extensions are built into Opera
> anyway... (eg Mouse Gestures).

I don't particularly like FF on Linux (I think it's good on Windows but
I find the interface a bit odd on Linux) and I've never liked Opera - I
use Konqueror myself. There are however a lot of really cool extensions
in FF for web developers which I doubt are in Opera.

Nik Coughlin

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:00:36 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>> Fred Dagg wrote:
>>> I think FF is popular because of the viral marketing that goes with
>>> a lot of OSS, because Google gives it serious amounts of support in
>>> several avenues (It is pretty much Google's browser), and because
>>> many people don't know that Opera is free (and a lot more secure,
>>> etc).
>>>
>>> Opera absolutely pwns Firefox, and IE for that matter.

>> Another reason is that people get hooked on the extensions in
>> Firefox. There are a lot that I use all the time, so FF is my main
>> browser, despite Opera being faster and more accurate at rendering
>> pages.
>>

> But the thing is, most of the extensions are built into Opera
> anyway... (eg Mouse Gestures).

I was going to argue that the extensions I use aren't built into Opera, but
I Googled first so that I wouldn't sound like an uninformed fool, and most
of them (Web dev toolbar, GreaseMonkey) are available for Opera. No
StumbleUpon though, which I use all the time when I'm bored.

Chris Hope

Nik Coughlin wrote:

> Fred Dagg wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:00:36 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>>> Another reason is that people get hooked on the extensions in
>>> Firefox. There are a lot that I use all the time, so FF is my main
>>> browser, despite Opera being faster and more accurate at rendering
>>> pages.
>>>

>> But the thing is, most of the extensions are built into Opera
>> anyway... (eg Mouse Gestures).

> I was going to argue that the extensions I use aren't built into
> Opera, but I Googled first so that I wouldn't sound like an uninformed
> fool, and most
> of them (

> Web dev toolbar,

That's one of the ones I was probably thinking of. So I guess I'm the
uninformed fool then

http://tobyinkster.co.uk/opera