Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Will Intel or AMD give me better performance?

Will Intel or AMD give me better performance?

Allistar

~misfit~ wrote:

> Allistar wrote:
>> Allistar wrote:

>> [snip]
>>
>> > I've decided on the quad core QX6700 mainly because the Opteron
>> > socket F CPU's aren't available in NZ yet. I don't see the point of
>> > buying 2 dual core socket 940s as that appears to be an end of line
>> > technology. I would love a dual, quad core Opteron 2218, but the
>> > timing isn't right. Maybe in a few months time. Bang for buck I
>> > reckon the QX6700 is a good way to go. The most complicated part of
>> > deciding on components is working out which power supply to use. I
>> > hope to have it delivered in a couple of weeks - I let you know how
>> > performance compares to my current P4 2.4GHz, 1Gb computer.

>> Well, it's arrived and after a comedy of errors* it's pretty much up
>> and running. I just have to transfer across old settings and set up
>> the triple head display.
>>
>> Performance is amazing. I compiled all of Xorg and the majority of
>> KDE in a few hours. That took a couple of days on my P4 2.4GHz
>> machine.
>>
>> * The cables inside were tidily cable tied to the chassis, but when I
>> slid out the SATA enclosure (to access a hard to get to IDE port) it
>> also pulled it the power, speaker, reset and LED plugs.
>>
>> * The IDE cable supplied pushed in one of the pins on my DVD writer -
>> the writer is now stuffed. It also pushed in the pin on another CD
>> drive, I had to use the other plug on the cable, which worked ok.
>> It's a tad annoying because I've had to fork out for a new DVD writer.
>>
>> * The JMicron IDE interface wasn't supported on the Gentoo boot CD.
>> After a bit of searching I got it to recognise it.
>>
>> * The on board RAID controller is not a real hardware controller,
>> it's like a winmodem, where the OS does the work. That's a tad
>> annoying too as the reason I bought the P5B Deluxe was because it had
>> on board RAID - false advertising I say. I'm using a software RAID
>> instead (which is very easy to set up in Linux).
>>
>> * Even though it's in a "quiet" case, it's very noisy (the CPU fan is
>> *huge*). I'll install the sound proof padding when I get time to see
>> what difference it makes.
>>
>> Allistar.

> That's good to hear Alistar. Not the 'comedy of errors' part but the fact
> that you now have a blazingly fast machine. Well done.
>
> Is the damage done to the DVD writer simply physical damage? If so a
> person such as myself, with very limited finances but plenty of time and a
> bit of a knack for fiddling with things could maybe repair it? I'd love to
> try if that's the case, I could do with a replacement DVD writer. I can be
> reached at misfitnz at that gamil place.
>
> Cheers,

The pin itself cannot be soldered back on (tried that, made it worse).If you
have another IDE block from an stuffed drive, a decent soldering iron and a
steady hand you could swap the IDE block over. Since I've already ordered a
new one it's just a paper weight as far as I'm concerned. My ISP is
paradise.net and my username is my name (watch the spelling).

Allistar.

~misfit~

Allistar wrote:
> The pin itself cannot be soldered back on (tried that, made it
> worse).If you have another IDE block from an stuffed drive, a decent
> soldering iron and a steady hand you could swap the IDE block over.
> Since I've already ordered a new one it's just a paper weight as far
> as I'm concerned. My ISP is paradise.net and my username is my name
> (watch the spelling).

Email winging it's way to your door now (hopefully <g>).

Cheers,
--
Shaun.