Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Keylogging software

Keylogging software

Boppy

Someone is regularly using my computer when I'm out and I'm curious to
know what they're looking for. I've looked at key logging software and
it all screams spyware at me.

Any ideas for monitoring computer use that won't fill my system with
viruses and junk on installation?

Dianthus Mimulus

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:55:42 -0800, Boppy wrote:

> Someone is regularly using my computer when I'm out and I'm curious to
> know what they're looking for. I've looked at key logging software and
> it all screams spyware at me.

That's because it *is* all about spying so that you can capture things
like passwords, usernames, etc.

> Any ideas for monitoring computer use that won't fill my system with
> viruses and junk on installation?

Net Nanny, for Windows.

It will enable you to prohibit which websites can be viewed, and you will
be able to see a log of every website they attempted to access -
successfully or otherwise.

Just make sure you install it using the Administrator a/c, and that
everybody else does not have admin rights. If they do, then remove their
admin rights.

Make sure you change the password on the admin a/c to make sure nobody
else knows the admin password, and that nobody else knows the password for
Net Nanny.

If email is still being sent from your computer, then you may have a
problem.

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918

Shane

Boppy wrote:

> Someone is regularly using my computer when I'm out and I'm curious to
> know what they're looking for. I've looked at key logging software and
> it all screams spyware at me.
>
> Any ideas for monitoring computer use that won't fill my system with
> viruses and junk on installation?

Got some money burning a hole in your pocket?

http://www.keyghost.co.nz/products.htm

KeyGhost SX is a self contained PLUG that records keystrokes.

KeyGhost SX features a Patent Pending accelerated 'Ghost' retrieval speed
of - over 450 characters per second - without the need for special
adapters, or even to unplug the device.

KeyGhost SX has options to toggle recording of function (special) keys,
combination keys and enable/disable on keystroke compression.

KeyGhost makes keystroke monitoring for computer security quick and easy,
and eliminates problems associated with software keystroke monitoring based
solutions.

KEYGHOST SX KIT

KeyGhost SX 512KB: Stores over 500,000 keystrokes with basic encryption. It
is ideal for monitoring an office computer for computer security. It may
also be used as a backup device in situations where PC users cannot afford
to lose a single thing they type. Or as a solution if employers want to
monitor Internet activity and e-mail communications on their PC.

Kit Includes: KeyGhost SX. Instruction sheet. Warranty card. Tamper evident
seal.
Example notification banner as recommended by U.S. Department of Justice.
Retail Price: $NZ 249.00 inc GST

whome

> KEYGHOST SX KIT
>
> KeyGhost SX 512KB: Stores over 500,000 keystrokes with basic encryption.
> It
> is ideal for monitoring an office computer for computer security. It may
> also be used as a backup device in situations where PC users cannot afford
> to lose a single thing they type. Or as a solution if employers want to
> monitor Internet activity and e-mail communications on their PC.
>
> Kit Includes: KeyGhost SX. Instruction sheet. Warranty card. Tamper
> evident
> seal.
> Example notification banner as recommended by U.S. Department of Justice.
> Retail Price: $NZ 249.00 inc GST

If this were made by the chinese it would cost 10 bucks.

Earl Grey

Collector»NZ wrote:
> whome wrote:
>>> KEYGHOST SX KIT
>>>
>>> KeyGhost SX 512KB: Stores over 500,000 keystrokes with basic
>>> encryption. It
>>> is ideal for monitoring an office computer for computer security. It may
>>> also be used as a backup device in situations where PC users cannot
>>> afford
>>> to lose a single thing they type. Or as a solution if employers want to
>>> monitor Internet activity and e-mail communications on their PC.
>>>
>>> Kit Includes: KeyGhost SX. Instruction sheet. Warranty card. Tamper
>>> evident
>>> seal.
>>> Example notification banner as recommended by U.S. Department of
>>> Justice.
>>> Retail Price: $NZ 249.00 inc GST

>> If this were made by the chinese it would cost 10 bucks.
>>

> and have a phone home back door, come to think of it Homeland Security
> have probably already got a phone home and back door in the US one

Googling found these
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Security/P...ng/Keyloggers/

Collector»NZ

whome wrote:
>> KEYGHOST SX KIT
>>
>> KeyGhost SX 512KB: Stores over 500,000 keystrokes with basic encryption.
>> It
>> is ideal for monitoring an office computer for computer security. It may
>> also be used as a backup device in situations where PC users cannot afford
>> to lose a single thing they type. Or as a solution if employers want to
>> monitor Internet activity and e-mail communications on their PC.
>>
>> Kit Includes: KeyGhost SX. Instruction sheet. Warranty card. Tamper
>> evident
>> seal.
>> Example notification banner as recommended by U.S. Department of Justice.
>> Retail Price: $NZ 249.00 inc GST

> If this were made by the chinese it would cost 10 bucks.

and have a phone home back door, come to think of it Homeland Security have
probably already got a phone home and back door in the US one

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

Alan

"Boppy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Someone is regularly using my computer when I'm out and I'm curious
> know what they're looking for. I've looked at key logging software
> and
> it all screams spyware at me.
>
> Any ideas for monitoring computer use that won't fill my system with
> viruses and junk on installation?

If you have a router (and only you know the admin passwords), you
could probably check the logs on that to see where they are going?

--
Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Earl Grey

whome wrote:
>> KEYGHOST SX KIT
>>
>> KeyGhost SX 512KB: Stores over 500,000 keystrokes with basic encryption.
>> It
>> is ideal for monitoring an office computer for computer security. It may
>> also be used as a backup device in situations where PC users cannot afford
>> to lose a single thing they type. Or as a solution if employers want to
>> monitor Internet activity and e-mail communications on their PC.
>>
>> Kit Includes: KeyGhost SX. Instruction sheet. Warranty card. Tamper
>> evident
>> seal.
>> Example notification banner as recommended by U.S. Department of Justice.
>> Retail Price: $NZ 249.00 inc GST

> If this were made by the chinese it would cost 10 bucks.

If it was on sourceforge it would cost nothing
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bfk/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/elogger/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pykeylogger/

-=rjh=-

Alan wrote:
> "Boppy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Someone is regularly using my computer when I'm out and I'm curious
>> know what they're looking for. I've looked at key logging software
>> and
>> it all screams spyware at me.
>>
>> Any ideas for monitoring computer use that won't fill my system with
>> viruses and junk on installation?
>>

> If you have a router (and only you know the admin passwords), you
> could probably check the logs on that to see where they are going?

If you have Vista, no need for any keylogging software; it has the
ability to track what users are doing built in. This is such a can of
worms I'm surprised MS included this ability.

Ostensibly so that parents can monitor their kid's activities, but more
likely to be used the other way around.

"Dad, I want a new iPod...or I'll tell Mum what you were really doing on
the PC last night"

Boppy

Thanks for suggestions. It's not website access I'm interested in. It's
emails sent from my PC plus also I want to know what documents have
been opened and what searches have been conducted.
If only we had Vista ...