Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Dual internet access routing questions

Dual internet access routing questions

Kevin Sonney

We have recently installed a second internet connection and I'm in the
process of planning our move from the old to the new circuit. We'd
like to host websites on both connections but I see a problem with our
internal servers replying out the same path the request came through
because of default routes in our internal network.

Is this possible to do? Using route-maps or something?

#Network diagram#

x.x.x.x/24 --- Pix (static public/private entries) --- Internal Network
10.0.0.0/8

y.y.y.y/24 --- Pix (static public/private entries) ---

Thanks,

Kevin

Tim F

Your internal servers can definitely respond to both addresses but will only
send replies one direction.

You would just set two IPs on your server, but only one default gateway will
be used.

This creates a slight imbalance (both interfaces receive but only one
transmits back out), but it sounds like it may just be temporary setup
anyway and this should not be a problem.

One thing to keep in mind though is that some ISPs will block traffic that
does not originate from a block you "own" through them. In other words if
you have 10.1.1.0/24 and your outbound traffic is addressed with a source on
192.168.1.0/24 the ISP may block it. This prevents spoofing. You should
ask your ISP whether you can transmit traffic from a netblock belonging to
another provider. A lot of times, they can open a hole for you for just the
one netblock.

Best of luck

Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...