Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How reliable is automatice windows update?

How reliable is automatice windows update?

Joy

I've got two machines here and one of them has gone haywire over an
automatic update which happened two weeks ago. Today, after investigating
the problem, I turned off automatic updates and so far the problem has
disappeared.
My question is now how do I fix automatic updates? Has anyone else had a
problem lately?
Joy

impossible

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eophia$kut$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got two machines here and one of them has gone haywire over an
> automatic update which happened two weeks ago. Today, after
> investigating the problem, I turned off automatic updates and so far
> the problem has disappeared.
> My question is now how do I fix automatic updates? Has anyone else
> had a problem lately?
> Joy

What does "gone haywire" mean exactly. What's the problem? And what
did your investigation turn up that made you decide to turn off
automatic updates?

Dave Taylor

"impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What does "gone haywire" mean exactly. What's the problem? And what
> did your investigation turn up that made you decide to turn off
> automatic updates?

Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

--
Ciao, Dave

Joy

"impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eophia$kut$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've got two machines here and one of them has gone haywire over an
>> automatic update which happened two weeks ago. Today, after
>> investigating the problem, I turned off automatic updates and so far
>> the problem has disappeared.
>> My question is now how do I fix automatic updates? Has anyone else
>> had a problem lately?
>> Joy

> What does "gone haywire" mean exactly. What's the problem? And what
> did your investigation turn up that made you decide to turn off
> automatic updates?

Generic Host process for win32 services has encountered a problem and needs
to close. This happened on startup or soon after, the memory was hogged and
it crashed.

I was not the only one experiencing this problem, thats always comforting.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._21947598.html

Microsoft site said:
For Windows XP SP2, the Generic Host Process error can potentially occur on
any system at any time. Although you receive the error message shortly after
system startup, the actual error occurred during the previous system
shutdown.

And I can't find the link which suggested turning it off.
And I did do a few other things as well.

Reconfigured WMDM PMSP service to Manual in Computer Services

Restored WAV File to Winamp Media File from Creative Media Source
Player

Restored winampa in msconfig startup

Restored UpdReg in msconfig startup

Took off CTHelper.exe from msconfig startup

Disabled fast user switching in User Accounts

Checked that 'enable offline files' was not ticked in My
Computer-tools-folder options-offline files. Error Event 4356( The COM+
Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber
partition:{41E90F3E-56C1-4633-81C3-6E8BAC8BDD70}!new:{D3938AB0-5B9D-11D1-8DD2-00AA004ABD5E}.
CoGetObject returned HRESULT 8007041F.) Result of search: ( - GUID:
{6295DF2D-35EE-11D1-8707-00C04FD93327}, error code: 8000401A (Error code
0x8000401A) - This GUID/CLSID belongs to the Offline Files "Synchronization
Manager", or "MobSync.exe", which usually launches during logon from the Run
key under HKLM. This is not always an option, but disabling Offline Files
gets rid of the event.)

Installed UPHClean.exe to log server being used when trying to log off
user. Suspect that file sharing program is in use when X tries to log off,
and that this is what is causing the error on the following log on.
UPHClean stops behind the scenes use of the users resources when loggin off
and logs who it is. This program runs in the background but can be seen in
control-alt-delete processes.

Put AIDA program back on the desktop. AIDA shows all resources for all
devices and programs as an aid to troubleshooting

Dave Doe

In article <eopohe$1i2$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:eophia$kut$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I've got two machines here and one of them has gone haywire over an
> >> automatic update which happened two weeks ago. Today, after
> >> investigating the problem, I turned off automatic updates and so far
> >> the problem has disappeared.
> >> My question is now how do I fix automatic updates? Has anyone else
> >> had a problem lately?
> >> Joy

> > What does "gone haywire" mean exactly. What's the problem? And what
> > did your investigation turn up that made you decide to turn off
> > automatic updates?

> Generic Host process for win32 services has encountered a problem and needs
> to close. This happened on startup or soon after, the memory was hogged and
> it crashed.

<snip>

> Installed UPHClean.exe to log server being used when trying to log off

<snip>

The user profile clean tool is useful if you experience very slow
logoffs - I don't think this is going to help you (nor cause any
problems, so leave it there).

> Put AIDA program back on the desktop. AIDA shows all resources for all
> devices and programs as an aid to troubleshooting

<snip>

AIDA32 won't help you either - nice utility though.

The Generic Host process could indeed be a problem (it's commonly hooked
by viruses for eg).

The help determine the errors that are *really* happenning - you should
dig into your event log.

It's in Control Panel, Administrative Tools.

Look for failed system and application events - and look them up for
yourself to see what you can find. You'll need the Event ID and the
Source. You can look 'em up here:

http://www.eventid.net

Another check you can easily make yourself - do a *manual* Windows
Update - select the Custom option and see what updates Automatic Updates
is trying to install. See also what updates it won't bother to install
(but might help you anyway) - ie the non critical ones. And while yer
there, have a look at your update history.

--
Duncan