Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What to look for if we buy a DVD hard disc recorder ?

What to look for if we buy a DVD hard disc recorder ?

paradise

I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4

Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?

Has the technology settled down and reliable ?

What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?

I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.

NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.

Mutlley

"paradise" <nzed> wrote:

>I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
>
>Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
>
>Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
>
>What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
>
>I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
>
>NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.

You could look at this thread.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthr...t=dvd+recorder

JohnO

Mutlley wrote:
> "paradise" <nzed> wrote:
>
> >I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
> >
> >Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
> >
> >Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
> >
> >What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
> >
> >I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
> >
> >NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.
> >

> You could look at this thread.
>
> http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthr...t=dvd+recorder

I'd be interested in a HDD recorder that has a LAN port and built in
SMB, FTP or HTTP server - so I can copy recorded files to a PC. Do any
of them have that?

Jeremy

The Kiss brand sold by ascent.co.nz has ftp transfer I think

JohnO wrote:
> Mutlley wrote:
>> "paradise" <nzed> wrote:
>>
>>> I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
>>>
>>> Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
>>>
>>> Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
>>>
>>> What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
>>>
>>> I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
>>>
>>> NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.
>>>

>> You could look at this thread.
>>
>> http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthr...t=dvd+recorder

> I'd be interested in a HDD recorder that has a LAN port and built in
> SMB, FTP or HTTP server - so I can copy recorded files to a PC. Do any
> of them have that?

JohnO

Jeremy wrote:
> The Kiss brand sold by ascent.co.nz has ftp transfer I think
>
> JohnO wrote:
> > Mutlley wrote:

> >> You could look at this thread.
> >>
> >> http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthr...t=dvd+recorder

> > I'd be interested in a HDD recorder that has a LAN port and built in
> > SMB, FTP or HTTP server - so I can copy recorded files to a PC. Do any
> > of them have that?

Interesting - they are 250Gb and quite cheap.

changemymind

"paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
>
> Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
>
> Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
>
> What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
>
> I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
>
> NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.

With the change over to digital tv broadcasting it is not the best time to
buy a dvd recorder as they do not accommodate digital input transmissions at
this stage which is a big disadvantage.

Alan

"paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
>
> Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features
> ?
>
> Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
>
> What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
>
> I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
>
> NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.

We have had a Philips 80Gb machine for nearly two years (I think -
difficult to remember but definately not more than two years old!)

Anyway, it works well and is extremely reliable.

I guess they all allow you to choose the compression / quality
settings for each recording, but if a model didn't then that would be
an issue.

Also, our model can only do 3hrs of timeslip recording (seems to
always be able to do that irrespective of how much else is on the
disk) - if I was buying one today I would want to get at least 5 hrs I
think.

HTH,

--
Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Steven Ellis

changemymind wrote:
> "paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
> >
> > Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
> >
> > Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
> >
> > What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
> >
> > I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
> >
> > NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.
> >

> With the change over to digital tv broadcasting it is not the best time to
> buy a dvd recorder as they do not accommodate digital input transmissions at
> this stage which is a big disadvantage.

Or buy something that is DTV upgradable like myPVR

http://www.openmedia.co.nz for details

Steve

E. Scrooge

"changemymind" <esgddf> wrote in message news:45b02533$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
>>
>> Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
>>
>> Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
>>
>> What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
>>
>> I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
>>
>> NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.
>>

> With the change over to digital tv broadcasting it is not the best time to
> buy a dvd recorder as they do not accommodate digital input transmissions
> at
> this stage which is a big disadvantage.

It's hardly going to change overnight, genius.
And for years TVNZ has trying to offer a satellite service.

And who's to say that while you're wating that copyright restrictions won't
become a lot tougher.
The FREE recording of programs might end up being a thing of the past.
You might have to pay up to record anything eventually.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"paradise" <nzed> wrote in message news:45b00b3e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I read "The other guy" write up about the recording problem ...ie C4
>
> Has anyone bought one recently and found the best value for features ?
>
> Has the technology settled down and reliable ?
>
> What are the present brands and models you would recomend. ?
>
> I am steering away from the sanyo ie Warehouse models.
>
> NZed.... considering buying one presently or later.

The Sony suits me fine. Good menus with plenty of options. Due to picture
noise reduction which is adjustable, the recording can look better than the
live picture with any fine transmission interference being removed.
Real time dubbing is more accurate than fast dubbing.
The Sony doesn't have to left on standby in order to keep the right time.

E. Scrooge