Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Any xtra customers left on here?

Any xtra customers left on here?

Warwick

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:35:48 +1300, Rob S wrote:

> Geopelia wrote:

>>> You may be better off changing your dns
>>>
>>> I'm not with xtra, but I've found the dns servers I use seem quicker and
>>> more reliable than my isp's dns
>>>
>>> Opendns.com
>>> 208.67.222.222
>>> 208.67.220.220
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Rob
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>> http://aspir8or.blogspot.com
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>>

>>> Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
>>> bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce
>>> bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rich Cook

>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>
>> That's a bit technical for me. The Universe produced a prize idiot 77 years
>> ago!
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Geopelia
>>

> I see you are posting via OE6, which presupposes you are using MS
> Windows, possibly XP Home. I don't have any MS Windows pcs here, so
> could some kind soul explain the procedure for changing dns settings in
> XP? I could zap through it if I had a XP pc in front of me, but typing
> the procedure from memory might steer Geo wrong.
>
> I'm also only guessing that Xtra's dns servers are the cause of her
> problems, but it's a fairly educated guess, given the symptoms supplied.

right click on the connection in the connections window.
select 'properties' from the drop down menu.
A tabbed notebook appears - click on the Networking tab.
From the item list on the tab select/highlight TCP/IP
click the properties button
check the 'Use following DNS server address'
type in the IP

--

cheers

Dave Doe

In article <eol2e2$igh$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I've got xtra dial up.
>
> Several times I haven't been able to get Google recently. A large message
> comes up about it. But if I try several times it eventually connects.
>
> I've found since I changed to the latest internet explorer, that Google
> takes a long time to arrive on the screen. So I minimise the Google Home
> page and get it from there instead of the Desktop.
>
> I'm not going to get Broadband. It's very expensive and seems to be
> unreliable.

It is (comparatively) expensive, but it's more reliable than dialup, and
if you get it, you won't go back to dialup - I betcha.

--
Duncan

Matty F

Warwick wrote:

> right click on the connection in the connections window.
> select 'properties' from the drop down menu.
> A tabbed notebook appears - click on the Networking tab.
> From the item list on the tab select/highlight TCP/IP
> click the properties button
> check the 'Use following DNS server address'
> type in the IP

If only it were that easy with broadband. Mozilla has deleted most of
my bookmarks including the one concerning the broadband modem and the
password for that. Opera has the facility to remember the password if I
only know what it was. Guess I'll have to stick with xtras DNS lookup,
which does seem to be slow.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, Matty F
wrote:

> Mozilla has deleted most of
> my bookmarks including the one concerning the broadband modem and the
> password for that.

Presumably your modem/router is also your DHCP server and default router. So
just ask your machine what its default router is (e.g. the "route" command
in Linux), and that should be the address of your modem/router.

As for the password, unless you changed that, presumably it defaults to
something like "admin" (check your manual).

Warwick

On 17 Jan 2007 23:07:47 -0800, Matty F wrote:

> Warwick wrote:
>
>> [7 quoted lines suppressed]

> If only it were that easy with broadband. Mozilla has deleted most of
> my bookmarks including the one concerning the broadband modem and the
> password for that. Opera has the facility to remember the password if I
> only know what it was. Guess I'll have to stick with xtras DNS lookup,
> which does seem to be slow.

I suspect windows is the culprit rather than Mozilla. Changes to the
connections folder is the trigger.
--

cheers

Ross

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:45:34 +1300, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 17 Jan 2007 23:07:47 -0800, Matty F wrote:
>
>> Warwick wrote:
>>
>>> [7 quoted lines suppressed]

>> If only it were that easy with broadband. Mozilla has deleted most of
>> my bookmarks including the one concerning the broadband modem and the
>> password for that. Opera has the facility to remember the password if I
>> only know what it was. Guess I'll have to stick with xtras DNS lookup,
>> which does seem to be slow.

>I suspect windows is the culprit rather than Mozilla. Changes to the
>connections folder is the trigger.

You should find several backup versions of your bookmarks.html file.
e.g. I have 5 in Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\u2bpyjj5.default\boo kmarkbackups

Matty F

Warwick wrote:

> I suspect windows is the culprit rather than Mozilla. Changes to the
> connections folder is the trigger.

OK, what is this "connections folder" that you speak of? I do not dial
up.
I'm using Windows 98SE and a Dlink broadband modem, and whichever of
Opera and Mozilla browsers will work on the various sites that I look
at.
Mozilla died in a big heap a few weeks ago and most of its bookmarks
were lost. Maybe 600 bookmarks confuses it. Opera handles them OK.

Geopelia

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <eol2e2$igh$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> I've got xtra dial up.
>>
>> Several times I haven't been able to get Google recently. A large message
>> comes up about it. But if I try several times it eventually connects.
>>
>> I've found since I changed to the latest internet explorer, that Google
>> takes a long time to arrive on the screen. So I minimise the Google Home
>> page and get it from there instead of the Desktop.
>>
>> I'm not going to get Broadband. It's very expensive and seems to be
>> unreliable.

> It is (comparatively) expensive, but it's more reliable than dialup, and
> if you get it, you won't go back to dialup - I betcha.
>
> --
> Duncan

I'll hang on for a while and see what happens. There are rumours of a
shake-up at Telecom, so I'll see what develops with xtra.

Maybe they will speed up Google, if enough people are finding it slower
after the changes.

Thank you

Geopelia

Geopelia

"Warwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:12f5dj3w26bwa.n5k05n4gdh5q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:35:48 +1300, Rob S wrote:
>
>> Geopelia wrote:

>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>>
>>> That's a bit technical for me. The Universe produced a prize idiot 77
>>> years
>>> ago!
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>> Geopelia
>>>

>> I see you are posting via OE6, which presupposes you are using MS
>> Windows, possibly XP Home. I don't have any MS Windows pcs here, so
>> could some kind soul explain the procedure for changing dns settings in
>> XP? I could zap through it if I had a XP pc in front of me, but typing
>> the procedure from memory might steer Geo wrong.
>>
>> I'm also only guessing that Xtra's dns servers are the cause of her
>> problems, but it's a fairly educated guess, given the symptoms supplied.

> right click on the connection in the connections window.
> select 'properties' from the drop down menu.
> A tabbed notebook appears - click on the Networking tab.
> From the item list on the tab select/highlight TCP/IP
> click the properties button
> check the 'Use following DNS server address'
> type in the IP
>

> cheers

Thank you. I'll save that. The computer man set everything up when I bought
the computer. I've just updated things.
He changed it from Windows ME to XP a while ago.
Now I've got OE 6 and the latest update for the internet, I think it is 7.

Everything seems to work OK except for being slow.

Geopelia

Dave Doe

In article <eono9c$cbh$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> > In article <eol2e2$igh$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> I've got xtra dial up.
> >>
> >> Several times I haven't been able to get Google recently. A large message
> >> comes up about it. But if I try several times it eventually connects.
> >>
> >> I've found since I changed to the latest internet explorer, that Google
> >> takes a long time to arrive on the screen. So I minimise the Google Home
> >> page and get it from there instead of the Desktop.
> >>
> >> I'm not going to get Broadband. It's very expensive and seems to be
> >> unreliable.

> > It is (comparatively) expensive, but it's more reliable than dialup, and
> > if you get it, you won't go back to dialup - I betcha.
> >
> > --
> > Duncan

> I'll hang on for a while and see what happens. There are rumours of a
> shake-up at Telecom, so I'll see what develops with xtra.
>
> Maybe they will speed up Google, if enough people are finding it slower
> after the changes.
>
> Thank you

Jeez still persevering with Xtra - you won't know what hit you if you
changed.

Even if you can get Telstraclear dialup (or broadband), you'd probably:
* save a coupla bucks
* get usenet back
* and not have a traffic shaped connection (even port 25 is blocked) -
not that any of the latter is going to bother you anyway as you prolly
don't use it.

--
Duncan