Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Maxnet decommissions usenet

Maxnet decommissions usenet

Peter

Maxnet response;
"As the News Service was provided free of charge, removal of the service has
not warranted a reduction in the cost of your monthly plan. Maintenance of
that server has become too costly, and our concern is that the majority of
data downloaded from it (in excess of 90%) is pornographic."

Since the cost was for a package of services, it is difficult to say whether
one component was provided free of charge. Certainly, I wouldn't have
signed up if usenet newsgroups wasn't included.

I can understand about the porn, if it is consuming so much bandwidth. But,
can't this be fixed by just not covering binary groups, or limiting size of
postings, or something?

Peter

Fred Dagg

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:19:44 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Maxnet response;
>"As the News Service was provided free of charge, removal of the service has
>not warranted a reduction in the cost of your monthly plan. Maintenance of
>that server has become too costly, and our concern is that the majority of
>data downloaded from it (in excess of 90%) is pornographic."
>
>Since the cost was for a package of services, it is difficult to say whether
>one component was provided free of charge. Certainly, I wouldn't have
>signed up if usenet newsgroups wasn't included.
>
>I can understand about the porn, if it is consuming so much bandwidth. But,
>can't this be fixed by just not covering binary groups, or limiting size of
>postings, or something?

So, since there's only 2 of you that use Usenet, you guys must have a
pretty solid collection!! lol

The problem is, it takes time to filter groups, and time is money.
Simply not viable, I'd imagine, unless one of the helldeskers had an
avid interest.

Have you thought about offering to manage it, if they gave you remote
access? You could guarantee to limit usage to non-binary groups, and
I'm sure there are some around here that would help.

--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Dianthus Mimulus

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:19:44 +1300, Peter wrote:

> Maxnet response;
> "As the News Service was provided free of charge, removal of the service has
> not warranted a reduction in the cost of your monthly plan. Maintenance of
> that server has become too costly, and our concern is that the majority of
> data downloaded from it (in excess of 90%) is pornographic."

Since when has an ISP been responsible for controlling what data can or
cannot be transmitted through its network?

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918

news:eofdf5$plv$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Maxnet response;
> "As the News Service was provided free of charge, removal of the service

has
> not warranted a reduction in the cost of your monthly plan. Maintenance of
> that server has become too costly, and our concern is that the majority of
> data downloaded from it (in excess of 90%) is pornographic."

90% porn, is that bullshit? , I have been using usenet for 11 years and was
unaware that usenet was a major source of porn, most isp's don't provide
binary newsgroups anyhow do they?

Craig Whitmore

> 90% porn, is that bullshit? , I have been using usenet for 11 years and
> was
> unaware that usenet was a major source of porn, most isp's don't provide
> binary newsgroups anyhow do they?

Xnet and Orcon provide binary groups.

I don't know about anyone else.

Thanks

Mutlley

"Craig Whitmore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> 90% porn, is that bullshit? , I have been using usenet for 11 years and
>> was
>> unaware that usenet was a major source of porn, most isp's don't provide
>> binary newsgroups anyhow do they?
>>

>Xnet and Orcon provide binary groups.
>
>I don't know about anyone else.
>
>Thanks

Orcon... Your kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E. Scrooge

news:eofdf5$plv$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Maxnet response;
> "As the News Service was provided free of charge, removal of the service
> has
> not warranted a reduction in the cost of your monthly plan. Maintenance of
> that server has become too costly, and our concern is that the majority of
> data downloaded from it (in excess of 90%) is pornographic."
>
> Since the cost was for a package of services, it is difficult to say
> whether
> one component was provided free of charge. Certainly, I wouldn't have
> signed up if usenet newsgroups wasn't included.
>
> I can understand about the porn, if it is consuming so much bandwidth.
> But,
> can't this be fixed by just not covering binary groups, or limiting size
> of
> postings, or something?
>

> Peter

The news service is hardly free since it's one of the 3 Internet services
that some people expect to have and join an ISP to pay for.

Best idea is to dump the bastards and support an ISP that still provides a
news service.

E. Scrooge

Warwick

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:19:44 +1300, Peter wrote:

> Maxnet response;
> "As the News Service was provided free of charge, removal of the service has
> not warranted a reduction in the cost of your monthly plan. Maintenance of
> that server has become too costly, and our concern is that the majority of
> data downloaded from it (in excess of 90%) is pornographic."
>
> Since the cost was for a package of services, it is difficult to say whether
> one component was provided free of charge. Certainly, I wouldn't have
> signed up if usenet newsgroups wasn't included.
>
> I can understand about the porn, if it is consuming so much bandwidth. But,
> can't this be fixed by just not covering binary groups, or limiting size of
> postings, or something?
>

> Peter

The mention of pornography is a red herring. Lots of internet traffic is
porn and their profitability depends on it. I don't see why there should be
distaste raised over porn via NNTP when there is ten times more of it being
passed around via HTTP.
--

cheers

joe_90

Warwick wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 21:19:44 +1300, Peter wrote:
>
>> Maxnet response;
>> "As the News Service was provided free of charge, removal of the

service has
>> not warranted a reduction in the cost of your monthly plan. Maintenance of
>> that server has become too costly, and our concern is that the majority of
>> data downloaded from it (in excess of 90%) is pornographic."
>>
>> Since the cost was for a package of services, it is difficult to say

whether
>> one component was provided free of charge. Certainly, I wouldn't have
>> signed up if usenet newsgroups wasn't included.
>>
>> I can understand about the porn, if it is consuming so much bandwidth.

But,
>> can't this be fixed by just not covering binary groups, or limiting

size of
>> postings, or something?
>>

>> Peter

> The mention of pornography is a red herring. Lots of internet traffic is
> porn and their profitability depends on it. I don't see why there

should be
> distaste raised over porn via NNTP when there is ten times more of it

being
> passed around via HTTP.

I agree, their stated 'concern' is simply a diversion - it's purely cost
cutting. After all, ISP contracts do not state explicitly what protocols
they will support or what services they will supply, so why not block
HTTP as well?

I'm afraid it's a case of following the lead from Telecom/Xtra - they
got away with dumping their news server to save money, and other ISP's
will follow.

'Maxnet' internet users Snoopy NZ Computing 23 02-10-2004 05:07 AM
Maxnet and DC/P2P XPD NZ Computing 7 09-26-2003 10:40 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Alastair Johnson NZ Computing 3 07-12-2003 07:26 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Nick NZ Computing 4 07-11-2003 10:09 PM
Re: 4 questions about Maxnet Jetstart ADSL Peter NZ Computing 1 07-09-2003 07:55 AM

Advertisments