Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > No AVG what now

No AVG what now

Cima

On 14 Jan 2007 08:55:05 GMT, jasen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2007-01-14, Possum <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> It looks like AVG will be Pay for now.. What good FREE Virus protection is
>> there

>linux.

**** UP!

Mark Robinson

Cima wrote:
> On 14 Jan 2007 08:55:05 GMT, jasen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 2007-01-14, Possum <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> It looks like AVG will be Pay for now.. What good FREE Virus protection is
>>> there

>> linux.

> **** UP!

Denial; Anger; ...

Peter Huebner

In article <45a984f6$0$4878$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> It looks like AVG will be Pay for now.. What good FREE Virus protection is
> there

I don't think so. But they have made the references to the free version REALLY
SMALL and INCONSPICUOUS on their main site <grin>.

I changed to antivir, mostly on recommendations from this group, but while the
thing maybe good a checking, I find it's updating process a pain in the arse,
requiring a reboot each time. I am seriously considering going back to AVG.

Grisoft are dropping support for AVG free 7.1, but they will keep supporting
AVG free 7.5 !!! Maybe you misunderstood.

edition/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

(sorry about the split line, Gravity is being ornery).

Try this link for download:
http://free.grisoft.com/

It's still there.

h.t.h., -Peter

-=rjh=-

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <45a984f6$0$4878$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> It looks like AVG will be Pay for now.. What good FREE Virus protection is
>> there
>>

> I don't think so. But they have made the references to the free version REALLY
> SMALL and INCONSPICUOUS on their main site <grin>.

Amusing to note (given the comments in this thread) that the Linux
version is also available there

Crash

David Goodwin wrote:
[snip]

> When reading a post one may approach it from a number of angles. Sadly
> in this case people have approached my original post from an
> unintended angle. This is almost certainly my fault and for that I
> apologize. I should not have been so brief.
>
> My original post was in fact quite serious. I was not simply trying to
> win someone over to Linux. Nor was I trying to bash Microsoft
> Corporation or their products. I was simply making a suggestion - if
> viruses are a problem consider moving to where the viruses aren't.
>
> Mal ware such as Viruses, Worms, Trojans and Spyware are all part of
> using a Microsoft operating system these days. The problem is present
> in all recent Microsoft Operating Systems (MS-DOS, Windows, Windows
> NT). This is most likely because security wasn't really part of the
> original design as much as it should have been and their attempts to
> kill Netscape Communications didn't exactly help. Windows vista may
> solve these security problems but then it may well introduce a pile of
> other issues if Peter Gutmann's document is to be believed.
>
> For many people switching to a Linux distribution such as Ubuntu would
> be an acceptable solution to the present problem. It provides many of
> the tools required for day to day tasks and with the help of Wine many
> windows programs become available too.
>
> Of course if one does not like the idea of Linux I have heard that
> MacOS X is certainly a worthy operating system which does not yet
> suffer from virus problems. The only reason why I wouldn't recommend
> it straight off is because it requires a significant investment.
>
> Once again, if my original post, this one or any other I have made has
> caused any offense I apologize.

David,

The core issue I (and it appears, many others) have is that the OP was
commenting purely on the lack of a free version of AVG in its latest release.

IMHO, introducing Linux into this equation as a solution was not reasonable -
Linux brings nothing to a user seeking a free version of AVG. Widening the
discussion to introduce another OS was also unreasonable as the OP was clearly
focused on a specific need and in this context Linux was irrelevant.

My strong suggestion is that all posters in this ng restrict their response to
being on-topic for the OS involved. If it is not clear what OS is involved,
post a follow-up seeking clarification and then post on Linux only if the
clarification indicates that Linux is 'on topic'.

Crash.

Miguel

<snip Crash>
> IMHO, introducing Linux into this equation as a solution was not reasonable -
> Linux brings nothing to a user seeking a free version of AVG. Widening the
> discussion to introduce another OS was also unreasonable as the OP was clearly
> focused on a specific need and in this context Linux was irrelevant.

</snip>

Hello Crash...With the greatest of respect, I totally disagree.

The original poster (Possum) asked...

<snip Possum>
What good FREE Virus protection is there
</snip>

David's reply was perfectly reasonable and, if I might say, exactly
what I said to myself when I read the original post.

The fact that AVG are still offering a free product is good for Possum.
I'm sure he/she will continue using it. The posters who pointed him/her
in that direction helped out admirably (which is usually what happens
90% of the time in this group).

But, as we all know, Possum isn't the only person who will read this
thread. How do you know that there isn't an nz.comp'er who is like I
was a year or so ago i.e totally fed up with dealing with Windows-based
computers that are security nightmares.

Trying to educate everyday users to become security conscious is an
uphill battle. Daily definition updates, weekly scans, OS critical
updates, firewall settings. It's true that they can all can be
automated but that is no guarantee that the system won't still become
infected....and then I'm left (again!!!) to get it all back up and
running.

Why not just take the whole security issue out of the picture....which
is what I have done. I'm *slowly* transferring people I deal with to
Ubuntu or Xubuntu. First as a dual-boot backup to Windows. Then, once
people realize there are only superficial differences between the
Ubuntu and XP desktops, most are happy to use it when XP fails them
(which it inevitably does).

As I've posted many times before, I'm not a Microsoft basher. I've been
with MS since about MS-DOS v3.3. (late 80's?). I've total respect for
what Bill Gates has accomplished. But Vista is a step too far. Minimum
spec of 1GB RAM !!!! plus ~$500 for the home edition plus DRM.....it's
become a joke.

I'm glad to get off the Microsoft treadmill. For what I and thousands
of others do (browse, email, office apps, the usual - not uber-geek
power users) Ubuntu, and especially Xubuntu, is more than enough.

And it's free. And all the apps I need are free. And security isn't an
issue. And it runs perfectly on 256MB RAM. And it's a breeze to
setup.....It's not perfect but it's at least as imperfect as
XP/ME/98/95/3.1

Regards
Miguel

PS....Speak of the devil. A Windows 98 computer has just turned up.
Only boots into Safe Mode then tries to dial out. The users son was
playing around online last night and, hey presto, it's not working
properly now. Time to get out the Knoppix CD.....

Collector»NZ

Possum wrote:
> It looks like AVG will be Pay for now.. What good FREE Virus protection is
> there

AVG 7.5 it is still available free

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

Crash

Miguel wrote:
> <snip Crash>
>> IMHO, introducing Linux into this equation as a solution was not reasonable -
>> Linux brings nothing to a user seeking a free version of AVG. Widening the
>> discussion to introduce another OS was also unreasonable as the OP was clearly
>> focused on a specific need and in this context Linux was irrelevant.

> </snip>
>
> Hello Crash...With the greatest of respect, I totally disagree.
>
> The original poster (Possum) asked...
>
> <snip Possum>
> What good FREE Virus protection is there
> </snip>

The context though is within the subject line of 'No AVG - what now'.

In this context Linux is never going to be a solution and neither is any other OS.
> David's reply was perfectly reasonable and, if I might say, exactly
> what I said to myself when I read the original post.

But still off-topic.

> The fact that AVG are still offering a free product is good for Possum.
> I'm sure he/she will continue using it. The posters who pointed him/her
> in that direction helped out admirably (which is usually what happens
> 90% of the time in this group).

Correct - but other posters went off-topic - and in fact the thread became
'drowned' in off-topic responses.

> But, as we all know, Possum isn't the only person who will read this
> thread. How do you know that there isn't an nz.comp'er who is like I
> was a year or so ago i.e totally fed up with dealing with Windows-based
> computers that are security nightmares.

The OP did not indicate in any way that he/she had any security problems
whatever. They indicated only that there was a problem ma
> Trying to educate everyday users to become security conscious is an
> uphill battle. Daily definition updates, weekly scans, OS critical
> updates, firewall settings. It's true that they can all can be
> automated but that is no guarantee that the system won't still become
> infected....and then I'm left (again!!!) to get it all back up and
> running.
>
> Why not just take the whole security issue out of the picture....which
> is what I have done. I'm *slowly* transferring people I deal with to
> Ubuntu or Xubuntu. First as a dual-boot backup to Windows. Then, once
> people realize there are only superficial differences between the
> Ubuntu and XP desktops, most are happy to use it when XP fails them
> (which it inevitably does).

[snip]

You are rambling on way off-topic. Let me remind you again that the OP asked
about an AVG free edition upgrade option. This, IMHO, is no excuse to introduce
an OS-wars argument under the quite dubious umbrella of 'security issues'. Keep
the 'education' or (or accurately) the evangelising of OS's to threads where it
is directly related to the OP's questions.

I would also question whether 'everyday users' read this 9or any other) ng.
Everything I have seen here indicates that most posters here are IT industry
people - most 'everyday users' that I know have no idea what Usenet is.

Crash.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- wrote:

> Peter Huebner wrote:
>
>> In article <45a984f6$0$4878$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> It looks like AVG will be Pay for now.. What good FREE Virus protection
>>> is there

>> I don't think so. But they have made the references to the free version
>> REALLY SMALL and INCONSPICUOUS on their main site <grin>.

> Amusing to note (given the comments in this thread) that the Linux
> version is also available there

Which viruses does the Linux version protect against? Dimdows ones.

Miguel

Crash wrote:

<snip Crash>
> You are rambling on way off-topic. Let me remind you again that the OP asked
> about an AVG free edition upgrade option [...]
> Keep [...] the evangelising of OS's to threads where it
> is directly related to the OP's questions.

</snip>

Hello again Crash....By the time I jumped in the original poster's
question was well and truly answered - the thread was dead.

My "ramblings" were for you, in reply to your post to David.

<snip Crash>
> I would also question whether 'everyday users' read this (or any other) ng

</snip>

Well say hello to an "everyday user". There is absolutely nothing
special about me. I use a computer most days, like millions of others.
Quite often I get confused, like millions of others. Sometimes I can
help others. More often than not I ask others for help....ooops. Best
stop. Seems I'm rambling again.

Regards
Miguel

<snip from my earlier post>
>PS....Speak of the devil. A Windows 98 computer has just turned up.
>Only boots into Safe Mode then tries to dial out.

</snip>

For the record, I ran spybot, then ad-aware, then AVG. 137
creepy-crawlies were found. The computer is now up and running again.
For how much longer, who knows.

I guess I should ask for some money. This means I could call myself an
"IT professional" and then I wouldn't be a poor, simple "everyday
user".....oooops. Rambling again.