Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > No AVG what now

No AVG what now

Nicolaas Hawkins

On 13 Jan 2007 22:43:29 -0800, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com>:

> David Goodwin wrote:
>> Well, the best protection from viruses I can think of right now is
>> Linux. If you run Linux you should be quite safe from trojans, worms,
>> viruses and other fun malware from the wonderful world of windows.

> Never had a virus in 15 years of using Windows.

Just another Linux apostle seeing a chance to proselytise yet again.
They're a bloody sight worse than all the god-botherers put together!

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... Whose cruel idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have a "s" in it?

Chris Hope

Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

> On 13 Jan 2007 22:43:29 -0800, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com>:
>
>> David Goodwin wrote:
>>> Well, the best protection from viruses I can think of right now is
>>> Linux. If you run Linux you should be quite safe from trojans,
>>> worms, viruses and other fun malware from the wonderful world of
>>> windows.

>> Never had a virus in 15 years of using Windows.

> Just another Linux apostle seeing a chance to proselytise yet again.
> They're a bloody sight worse than all the god-botherers put together!

It's unfortunate that only a *handful* of people making a lot of stupid
posts make a lot of people have this opinion of *all* Linux users. Most
of us just get on with using Linux just like Windows users get on with
using Windows and OSX users get on with using OSX etc.

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:07:17 +1300, Chris Hope
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>
>> On 13 Jan 2007 22:43:29 -0800, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> <news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com>:

>>> Never had a virus in 15 years of using Windows.

>> Just another Linux apostle seeing a chance to proselytise yet again.
>> They're a bloody sight worse than all the god-botherers put together!

> It's unfortunate that only a *handful* of people making a lot of stupid
> posts make a lot of people have this opinion of *all* Linux users.

The pity of it is that they do an astonishingly good job of causing people
to think of the Linux user community as a cult of almost manic religious
fervour. Time to take them in hand and to task, perhaps?

> Most of us just get on with using Linux just like Windows users get on with
> using Windows and OSX users get on with using OSX etc.

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... I love mankind. It's the people I can't stand.

Mathew Good

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:12:51 +1300, "Possum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It looks like AVG will be Pay for now.. What good FREE Virus protection is
>there
>
>--
>www.udopage.com
>Makes WebPages FAST
>Makes Help files FAST

NONE..

jasen

On 2007-01-14, Possum <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It looks like AVG will be Pay for now.. What good FREE Virus protection is
> there

linux.

--

Bye.
Jasen

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Goodwin wrote:

> [pro-Linux rant omitted]

Let me point that anybody who top-posts can't possibly be a REAL Linux
user.

Mark Robinson

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 03:07:43 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (David Goodwin)
> exclaimed:
>
>> Well, the best protection from viruses I can think of right now is
>> Linux. If you run Linux you should be quite safe from trojans, worms,
>> viruses and other fun malware from the wonderful world of windows.
>>

> Yet another brainless post from the Linux fraternity.
>
> When will you freaks learn that posting such garbage only serves to
> make you look like fools?

Classic.

Peter

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Goodwin wrote:
>> [pro-Linux rant omitted]

> Let me point that anybody who top-posts can't possibly be a REAL Linux
> user.

Is Forte Free Agent even available for Linux?

David Goodwin

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:29:56 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Goodwin wrote:
>>> [pro-Linux rant omitted]

>> Let me point that anybody who top-posts can't possibly be a REAL Linux
>> user.

>Is Forte Free Agent even available for Linux?

No, it is not. While I do use linux I am actualy using Forte FreeAgent
1.11/32 on Windows NT Workstation 3.51 right now.

David Goodwin

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:19:25 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>The pity of it is that they do an astonishingly good job of causing people
>to think of the Linux user community as a cult of almost manic religious
>fervour. Time to take them in hand and to task, perhaps?
>
>> Most of us just get on with using Linux just like Windows users get on with
>> using Windows and OSX users get on with using OSX etc.

When reading a post one may approach it from a number of angles. Sadly
in this case people have approached my original post from an
unintended angle. This is almost certainly my fault and for that I
apologize. I should not have been so brief.

My original post was in fact quite serious. I was not simply trying to
win someone over to Linux. Nor was I trying to bash Microsoft
Corporation or their products. I was simply making a suggestion - if
viruses are a problem consider moving to where the viruses aren't.

Mal ware such as Viruses, Worms, Trojans and Spyware are all part of
using a Microsoft operating system these days. The problem is present
in all recent Microsoft Operating Systems (MS-DOS, Windows, Windows
NT). This is most likely because security wasn't really part of the
original design as much as it should have been and their attempts to
kill Netscape Communications didn't exactly help. Windows vista may
solve these security problems but then it may well introduce a pile of
other issues if Peter Gutmann's document is to be believed.

For many people switching to a Linux distribution such as Ubuntu would
be an acceptable solution to the present problem. It provides many of
the tools required for day to day tasks and with the help of Wine many
windows programs become available too.

Of course if one does not like the idea of Linux I have heard that
MacOS X is certainly a worthy operating system which does not yet
suffer from virus problems. The only reason why I wouldn't recommend
it straight off is because it requires a significant investment.

Once again, if my original post, this one or any other I have made has
caused any offense I apologize.