Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco AP firmware upgrades: wireless VOIP loses connections

Cisco AP firmware upgrades: wireless VOIP loses connections

Sylvain Robitaille

Hello ...

After upgrading all[0] (262 of 274, actually, mix of AP350, AP1100, and
AP1200) our access points to IOS-12.3.8-JA (I did make sure to put the
correct image on each different model of access point), I no have a
problem with wireless VOIP clients' connections dropping very frequently.

"regular" wireless data connections seem quite stable and very usable.
The negative effect appears to have been only on the wireless VOIP
connections. This occurs not only when roaming, but I can be just
sitting at my desk, testing the wireless VOIP service, and lose a
connection mid conversation, a few minutes after establishing a
connection, more than an hour after establishing a connection, seconds
after establishing a connection, when I attempt to place a call, etc.
Basically, there doesn't appear to be a pattern to the loss of
connections.

When the connection is dropped, the client needs to be power-cycled in
order to establish a new one. The access point logs next to nothing
(though I'm appending what is logged, in case it does help) that I can
get any idea of what the problem is with.

What additional information can I provide for someone to be able to
advise me on this problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

[0] "all" is not entirely true: the IOS upgrade failed on 12 access
points, none of which are among those I'm aware are currently causing
trouble.

Sylvain Robitaille http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Apr 13 10:22:05 ap-lb817 82: Apr 13 10:22:03: %DOT11-6-ASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Station SEP000d282e7127 000d.282e.7127 Associated KEY_MGMT[NONE]
Apr 13 11:14:31 ap-lb817 100: Apr 13 11:14:29: %DOT11-6-DISASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station 000d.282e.7127

Sylvain Robitaille

I wrote:

> After upgrading all[0] (262 of 274, actually, mix of AP350, AP1100, and
> AP1200) our access points to IOS-12.3.8-JA (I did make sure to put the
> correct image on each different model of access point), I no have a
> problem with wireless VOIP clients' connections dropping very frequently.

(of course that should have read, "I now have a problem ...")

Cisco has recommended that I downgrade to IOS-12.3.7JA3, which I'm
currently in the process of doing in one building where I can
(relatively) easily verify results on a floor-by-floor basis.

So far so good ...

Sylvain Robitaille (E-Mail Removed)