Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux on other devices, and fun with VMWare

Linux on other devices, and fun with VMWare

-=rjh=-

I guess some here might want to do more than just pointlessly argue
about things they know little about (like the iPhone), so for those that
actually want to learn something:

http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/greenphone

http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt...ore/qtopiademo

http://www.trolltech.com/download.ht...09-0742-en.zip

The beauty of this is that the phone is available as a VM (in fact, this
is just an ISO and a .vmx file) which allows you to play with both
touchscreen and keypad phone examples.

You will be running a linux phone interface on an emulator running in a
Linux guest OS in virtual machine hosted by whatever OS you choose to
use, on whatever hardware you choose to use It works surprisingly well.

Note also to those who haven't realised yet, you can run LiveCD isos
directly in a VMware VM if you correctly edit a .vmx file to the
configuration you want. Faster than booting a real LiveCD and less
hassle. Just put the ISO and the .vmx file in the same directory, then
open the .vmx file with VMWare - it will look after the rest.

For example, the Nokia 770 Maemo interface is available as a LiveCD, so
you can easily emulate the Nokia 770 in a VM. I've only been able to
find an old version of Maemo, does anyone know of any newer versions
available either as a LiveCD or packaged for VMWare?

Any links to other devices that can be evaluated in this way? Images for
the NEO1973? Chumby? Linux on other handhelds?

David Goodwin

The Trolltechs Qt phone looks quite nice. I wouldnt mind getting one
for general use (and to do a bit of hacking of course - Qt4 is very
nice to program with).

On the topic of VMWare, how many people use VMWare Server instead of
VMWare Workstation? It appears to be at least as capable as VMWare
Workstation while being freely downloadable from their website.
Appears to run fine on Windows XP as a VMWare Workstation replacement
even though such a configuration isnt supported (it is Windows Server
and Linux only).

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:51:14 +1300, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I guess some here might want to do more than just pointlessly argue
>about things they know little about (like the iPhone), so for those that
>actually want to learn something:
>
>http://www.trolltech.com/products/qtopia/greenphone
>
>http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt...ore/qtopiademo
>
>http://www.trolltech.com/download.ht...09-0742-en.zip
>
>The beauty of this is that the phone is available as a VM (in fact, this
>is just an ISO and a .vmx file) which allows you to play with both
>touchscreen and keypad phone examples.
>
>You will be running a linux phone interface on an emulator running in a
>Linux guest OS in virtual machine hosted by whatever OS you choose to
>use, on whatever hardware you choose to use It works surprisingly well.
>
>Note also to those who haven't realised yet, you can run LiveCD isos
>directly in a VMware VM if you correctly edit a .vmx file to the
>configuration you want. Faster than booting a real LiveCD and less
>hassle. Just put the ISO and the .vmx file in the same directory, then
>open the .vmx file with VMWare - it will look after the rest.
>
>For example, the Nokia 770 Maemo interface is available as a LiveCD, so
>you can easily emulate the Nokia 770 in a VM. I've only been able to
>find an old version of Maemo, does anyone know of any newer versions
>available either as a LiveCD or packaged for VMWare?
>
>Any links to other devices that can be evaluated in this way? Images for
>the NEO1973? Chumby? Linux on other handhelds?

The Other Guy

David Goodwin wrote:
> On the topic of VMWare, how many people use VMWare Server instead of
> VMWare Workstation? It appears to be at least as capable as VMWare
> Workstation while being freely downloadable from their website.
> Appears to run fine on Windows XP as a VMWare Workstation replacement
> even though such a configuration isnt supported (it is Windows Server
> and Linux only).

VMWare Server has some limitations, in particular it has no support for
multiple snapshots. In the office we are licensed to use Workstation,
but I have been using Server for one reason. VMWare Workstation 5.5 does
not support clustering (Workstation 5.0 did).

I use VMWare Server at home, for two reasons. First of all, I am too
cheap to buy a license for VMWare Workstation (prior to the release of
VMWare Server I was using Qemu). The second reason is the remote console
support. I run one Linux box on my network, and that runs multiple
VMWare installations of FreeBSD, which I maintain from a console on my
Windows desktop.

I do with VMWare would support FreeBSD as a host OS, it is a bit of a
pain having to have a single Linux box.

The Other Guy