Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Adobe Flash Player

Reply
Thread Tools

Adobe Flash Player

 
 
Geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
A notice came up on the screen about an update for Adobe Flash Player. The
new version is 9.0.28.0

I seem to have 8,0,22,0. I see on the desktop I have adobe reader 7.0

The notice has disappeared. If it comes up again, should I click to install
it please?

(One of these computer things I didn't even know I had. I expect it just
works away in the background.
I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)

Thank you.

Geopelia


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
In message <eo8tl9$q8f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:

> I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)


Upgrades are generally supposed to be a good idea. However, with Dimdows,
sometimes even doing the right thing can gum up the works.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
El Chippy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:39:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <eo8tl9$q8f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)

>
> Upgrades are generally supposed to be a good idea. However, with Dimdows,
> sometimes even doing the right thing can gum up the works.


Grow up Lawrence, it is Windows, not "Dimdows". And the same goes for many
linux apps/libraries. Upgrade are supposed to fix things, but often they
end up breaking something else.

Back to Geopelia.. I hit the upgrade button the other day for flash
player, haven't notcied any negative effects
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
In message <45a80815$(E-Mail Removed)>, El Chippy wrote:

> Grow up Lawrence, it is Windows, not "Dimdows".


Trouble is, "windows" is an ambiguous term. Even sticking strictly to
computing-related meanings, practically all of us work with "windows" on
our screens every day, even though a lot of us don't run anything
resembling a Microsoft OS. And relying on a subtle case distinction to
separate two very different meanings, given the spelling skills in this
noisegroup that frequently descend all the way to dyslexic and beyond,
seems less than a wise idea, don't you think.

Whereas the term "Dimdows" is absolutely distinctive and cannot be mistaken
for anything else. I've used it hundreds of times in this noisegroup, and
no-one has ever mistaken its meaning. And it has the advantage of not being
trademarked by Microsoft, or anyone else as far as I'm aware.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Wilkinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
Hi there,

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <eo8tl9$q8f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>
>>I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)


To Geopelia - go ahead and click upgrade if it comes up again.
Flash 9 isn't commonly used on websites yet, but that might
change in time. In Windows and Linux here Flash 9 is used on
all browsers I use, and it works fine in all.

> Upgrades are generally supposed to be a good idea. However, with Dimdows,
> sometimes even doing the right thing can gum up the works.


To Lawrence - give up man, your whole childish 'Dimdows' thing
is getting old. As a Linux advocate you blow goats.

Flash 9 in Windows and Linux work very well here. I can watch
live net TV from MTV or other sites without a hitch, whereas
previous Flash players had trouble, especially the Linux ones
up to version 7. The only problem with the Linux one is that
its a complete PITA to install, unlike the Windows one which
installed here with just a few clicks to agree to the licence.

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Robinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> To Lawrence - give up man, your whole childish 'Dimdows' thing
> is getting old. As a Linux advocate you blow goats.


Hear hear.
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <45a80815$(E-Mail Removed)>, El Chippy wrote:
>
> > Grow up Lawrence, it is Windows, not "Dimdows".

>
> Trouble is, "windows" is an ambiguous term. Even sticking strictly to
> computing-related meanings, practically all of us work with "windows"
> on our screens every day, even though a lot of us don't run anything
> resembling a Microsoft OS. And relying on a subtle case distinction to
> separate two very different meanings, given the spelling skills in
> this noisegroup that frequently descend all the way to dyslexic and
> beyond, seems less than a wise idea, don't you think.
>
> Whereas the term "Dimdows" is absolutely distinctive and cannot be
> mistaken for anything else. I've used it hundreds of times in this
> noisegroup, and no-one has ever mistaken its meaning. And it has the
> advantage of not being trademarked by Microsoft, or anyone else as
> far as I'm aware.


That oh-so rational cop-out doesn't make it any more acceptable than Roger's
"Lunix".

<shrug> I guess it all depends on how you wish to be perceived.
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2007
In message <45a81e2d$(E-Mail Removed)>, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <45a80815$(E-Mail Removed)>, El Chippy wrote:
>>
>> > Grow up Lawrence, it is Windows, not "Dimdows".

>>
>> Trouble is, "windows" is an ambiguous term. Even sticking strictly to
>> computing-related meanings, practically all of us work with "windows"
>> on our screens every day, even though a lot of us don't run anything
>> resembling a Microsoft OS. And relying on a subtle case distinction to
>> separate two very different meanings, given the spelling skills in
>> this noisegroup that frequently descend all the way to dyslexic and
>> beyond, seems less than a wise idea, don't you think.
>>
>> Whereas the term "Dimdows" is absolutely distinctive and cannot be
>> mistaken for anything else. I've used it hundreds of times in this
>> noisegroup, and no-one has ever mistaken its meaning. And it has the
>> advantage of not being trademarked by Microsoft, or anyone else as
>> far as I'm aware.

>
> That oh-so rational cop-out doesn't make it any more acceptable than
> Roger's "Lunix".


The trouble with "Lunix" is that it already has an official meaning or two.
 
Reply With Quote
 
-=rjh=-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2007
Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <eo8tl9$q8f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> I don't want to gum up the works doing the wrong thing.)

>
> To Geopelia - go ahead and click upgrade if it comes up again.
> Flash 9 isn't commonly used on websites yet, but that might
> change in time. In Windows and Linux here Flash 9 is used on
> all browsers I use, and it works fine in all.


To digress, any tips for getting Flash 9 to work in Linux 64bit Firefox?

TIA
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2007
In message <45a825ff$(E-Mail Removed)>, -=rjh=- wrote:

> ... any tips for getting Flash 9 to work in Linux 64bit Firefox?


I installed nspluginwrapper on my 64-bit Gentoo system, which did succeed in
enabling Flash, but Firefox would get highly unstable after running
continuously for a couple of days, so I gave up and took it out again.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adobe-Macromedia Flash Player: Not Working ? Robert11 Computer Support 0 03-26-2007 04:51 PM
running the adobe flash player HELP =?Utf-8?B?VG9uaQ==?= Windows 64bit 4 02-14-2007 09:51 AM
Adobe Flash Player 8 sharonf Computer Support 5 11-18-2006 04:48 PM
Adobe flash player for x64 cat5 Windows 64bit 3 08-06-2006 05:10 PM



Advertisments