Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Frustration over absurd and pointless browser version checking

Frustration over absurd and pointless browser version checking

Jamie Kahn Genet

I'm getting the following error on your website
<http://www.waikato.ac.nz/enrol/other-browsers.shtml>:

> Alternatives for Unsupported Web Browsers
> You have been dynamically redirected to this page. This has happened
> because we think the Web browser you are using will experience problems
> with the Web content you requested. If you have another Web browser
> installed, try using that browser instead.
>
> There are alternate sources of information which you can use to find out
> about Waikato University Qualifications, Subjects and Papers:
>
> * Undergraduate Degree Descriptions
> * Catalogue of Subjects and Papers
>
> You can still Apply to Enrol or Contact Us.
>
> Email http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) for technical assistance.
>
> Your Browser Signature is:
> Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en; rv:1.8.1.2pre)
> Gecko/20070111 Camino/1.1a2+

Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just ****
me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
design.

You have lost me as a student.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Shane

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> I'm getting the following error on your website
> <http://www.waikato.ac.nz/enrol/other-browsers.shtml>:
>
>> Alternatives for Unsupported Web Browsers
>> You have been dynamically redirected to this page. This has happened
>> because we think the Web browser you are using will experience problems
>> with the Web content you requested. If you have another Web browser
>> installed, try using that browser instead.
>>
>> There are alternate sources of information which you can use to find out
>> about Waikato University Qualifications, Subjects and Papers:
>>
>> * Undergraduate Degree Descriptions
>> * Catalogue of Subjects and Papers
>>
>> You can still Apply to Enrol or Contact Us.
>>
>> Email (E-Mail Removed) for technical assistance.
>>
>> Your Browser Signature is:
>> Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en; rv:1.8.1.2pre)
>> Gecko/20070111 Camino/1.1a2+

> Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
> I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just ****
> me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
> I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
> design.
>
> You have lost me as a student.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

Ha, its shocking isnt it. I can only say its an improvement on last year
when I attempted to traverse the minefield

lolinternet

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> You have lost me as a student.

So you're going to let a web developer who puts a browser check on a
website determine the future of your education.

Way to go champ.

Peter

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
> I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just ****
> me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
> I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
> design.

The site fails html validation check too ...
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.waikato.ac.nz

If the university computer guys can't get that right, what standard is the
rest of their academic work? Even school kids can code html.

Peter

Shane

Peter wrote:

> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>> Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
>> I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just ****
>> me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
>> I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
>> design.

> The site fails html validation check too ...
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.waikato.ac.nz
>
> If the university computer guys can't get that right, what standard is the
> rest of their academic work? Even school kids can code html.
>

> Peter

In their defence the academics will have very little to do with ITS.

Jamie Kahn Genet

lolinternet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> > You have lost me as a student.

> So you're going to let a web developer who puts a browser check on a
> website determine the future of your education.
>
> Way to go champ.

Actually it looks like Massey will better serve my extramural needs
Still, it's not a good advert for Waikato, is it?

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Stuart

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news:eo7ev5$38k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peter wrote:
>> If the university computer guys can't get that right, what standard is
>> the
>> rest of their academic work? Even school kids can code html.

> In their defence the academics will have very little to do with ITS.

In Otago's case, there's basically no connection between the two at all.
Except for the algorithm that decides when and where to schedule exams; that
was written by the CS dept, I believe.

Stuart

Richard

Peter wrote:
> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>> Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
>> I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just ****
>> me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
>> I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
>> design.

> The site fails html validation check too ...
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.waikato.ac.nz
>
> If the university computer guys can't get that right, what standard is the
> rest of their academic work? Even school kids can code html.

Just checked now and it came back passed?

I dont really care too much for that stupid validator. It always bitches
about alt tags not being there and other meaningless crap

Ralph Fox

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:40:50 +1300, in message <1hruecb.10d2zgg1l1digoN%(E-Mail Removed) z>,
Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> I'm getting the following error on your website
> <http://www.waikato.ac.nz/enrol/other-browsers.shtml>:
>
> > Alternatives for Unsupported Web Browsers
> > You have been dynamically redirected to this page. This has happened
> > because we think the Web browser you are using will experience problems
> > with the Web content you requested.

> > Your Browser Signature is:
> > Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en; rv:1.8.1.2pre)
> > Gecko/20070111 Camino/1.1a2+

Which other URL were you at and what did you do when you got redirected
to that page? And, what browser were you using at the time?

For a test, I spoofed your Camino "Browser Signature" (User-Agent) and
went for a wander around the Waikato University site. I never once got
redirected to that page. (If I go directly to the URL you gave, I do
see Camino's "Browser Signature" on the page.)

It is possible to see that page with any browser's signature, if you
go directly there (not being redirected). To test this, I used IE6 and
went directly to the URL you gave (not via a redirection). The page
showed me the same message, with IE6's "Browser Signature".

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Jamie Kahn Genet

Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:40:50 +1300, in message
> <1hruecb.10d2zgg1l1digoN%(E-Mail Removed) z>, Jamie Kahn Genet
> wrote:
>
> > I'm getting the following error on your website
> > <http://www.waikato.ac.nz/enrol/other-browsers.shtml>:
> >
> > > Alternatives for Unsupported Web Browsers
> > > You have been dynamically redirected to this page. This has happened
> > > because we think the Web browser you are using will experience problems
> > > with the Web content you requested.

> > > Your Browser Signature is:
> > > Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en; rv:1.8.1.2pre)
> > > Gecko/20070111 Camino/1.1a2+

> Which other URL were you at and what did you do when you got redirected
> to that page? And, what browser were you using at the time?
>
> For a test, I spoofed your Camino "Browser Signature" (User-Agent) and
> went for a wander around the Waikato University site. I never once got
> redirected to that page. (If I go directly to the URL you gave, I do
> see Camino's "Browser Signature" on the page.)
>
> It is possible to see that page with any browser's signature, if you
> go directly there (not being redirected). To test this, I used IE6 and
> went directly to the URL you gave (not via a redirection). The page
> showed me the same message, with IE6's "Browser Signature".
>

> > Well how about letting ME decide what will and will not work, or what
> > I'm prepared to try??? These pointless browser version checks just ****
> > me off and make me head to another University's website. There is NO WAY
> > I want to study IT at a University with such a boneheaded website
> > design.
> >
> > You have lost me as a student.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet