Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > iphone Vodofone or Telecom

iphone Vodofone or Telecom

Possum

Hi

Which network will the iphone go on

iphone Vodofone or Telecom

Collector»NZ

Possum wrote:
> Hi
>
> Which network will the iphone go on
>
> iphone Vodofone or Telecom

Not Telescums, there network is too outdated to be useful.

It is a gsm phone

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

Nik Coughlin

Possum wrote:
> Hi
>
> Which network will the iphone go on
>
> iphone Vodofone or Telecom

Vodafone.

There's a piece in the Herald today pointing out that you won't be able to
use the Internet capabilities of the iPhone in New Zealand without amassing
charges of several hundred dollar a month because of our high mobile
broadband costs.

Fred Dagg

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:35:38 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>Possum wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Which network will the iphone go on
>>
>> iphone Vodofone or Telecom

>Vodafone.
>
>There's a piece in the Herald today pointing out that you won't be able to
>use the Internet capabilities of the iPhone in New Zealand without amassing
>charges of several hundred dollar a month because of our high mobile
>broadband costs.

There's a 1GB for 49.95 plan on Vodafone which would more than
suffice. Also, with 3G2 (or whatever they're calling it) coming, this
will cease to be a problem.

--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Nik Coughlin

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:35:38 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>> Possum wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Which network will the iphone go on
>>>
>>> iphone Vodofone or Telecom

>> Vodafone.
>>
>> There's a piece in the Herald today pointing out that you won't be
>> able to use the Internet capabilities of the iPhone in New Zealand
>> without amassing charges of several hundred dollar a month because
>> of our high mobile broadband costs.
>>

> There's a 1GB for 49.95 plan on Vodafone which would more than
> suffice. Also, with 3G2 (or whatever they're calling it) coming, this
> will cease to be a problem.

Yeah, Vodafone did say in the article that by the time it arrives here, data
costs will have dropped to a reasonable level.

whome

"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eo6gru$kvp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fred Dagg wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:35:38 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>>> Vodafone.
>>>
>>> There's a piece in the Herald today pointing out that you won't be
>>> able to use the Internet capabilities of the iPhone in New Zealand
>>> without amassing charges of several hundred dollar a month because
>>> of our high mobile broadband costs.
>>>

>> There's a 1GB for 49.95 plan on Vodafone which would more than
>> suffice. Also, with 3G2 (or whatever they're calling it) coming, this
>> will cease to be a problem.

> Yeah, Vodafone did say in the article that by the time it arrives here,
> data costs will have dropped to a reasonable level.

I doubt it. Vodafone NZ provide some of the most expensive calls in the
world.

The cosy duopoly between telecom and vodafone will ensure costs will remain
high.

1gb is such a small amount of data it could be used in just a few hours on
proper broadband speeds. Then, what do you pay for the rest of the month?

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> whome wrote:

> 1gb is such a small amount of data it could be used in just a few
> hours on proper broadband speeds. Then, what do you pay for the rest
> of the month?

One gigabyte per month sounds plenty for mobile access. I use about that
much at home for web browsing, email, newsgroups and the occasional
download. I suspect most people won't be wanting to run a BitTorrent
client on their cellphone.

--
* Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
* PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac

Mutlley

Collector»NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Possum wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Which network will the iphone go on
>>
>> iphone Vodofone or Telecom
>>

>Not Telescums, there network is too outdated to be useful.
>
>It is a gsm phone

Won't stop them from producing a CDMA version.

whome

"Roger Johnstone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In <(E-Mail Removed)> whome wrote:
>>
>> 1gb is such a small amount of data it could be used in just a few
>> hours on proper broadband speeds. Then, what do you pay for the rest
>> of the month?

> One gigabyte per month sounds plenty for mobile access. I use about that
> much at home for web browsing, email, newsgroups and the occasional
> download. I suspect most people won't be wanting to run a BitTorrent
> client on their cellphone.
>
> --
> * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
> * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
> * SCART RGB video cable for Apple IIGS

But, mobile video/radio /voip? You are thinking last decade services.

I am talking next generation services.

Robert Cooze

Mutlley wrote:
> Collector»NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Possum wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Which network will the iphone go on
>>>
>>> iphone Vodofone or Telecom
>>>

>> Not Telescums, there network is too outdated to be useful.
>>
>> It is a gsm phone

> Won't stop them from producing a CDMA version.

Have you had a look in the telecom shops? you see a lot of no brand
phones like "panteck" in fact the hole line up looks rubbishy.