Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ubuntu question

Ubuntu question

Snake

I've just leaped in to using Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop, having had no
previous experience in Linux. I've been trying things out and somehow
have lost Gnome loading automatically when I boot.

I arrive at a text based login screen and after I type in my username
and password I can get to Gnome by typing startx.

But I would prefer to get back to having the graphical login screen
that I had previously.

Can anyone help me?

thanks
Richard

none

Snake wrote:
> I've just leaped in to using Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop, having had no
> previous experience in Linux. I've been trying things out and somehow
> have lost Gnome loading automatically when I boot.
>
> I arrive at a text based login screen and after I type in my username
> and password I can get to Gnome by typing startx.
>
> But I would prefer to get back to having the graphical login screen
> that I had previously.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> thanks
> Richard

Try
dpkg-reconfigure gdm

Rebel Lion

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:11:52 +1300, none wrote:

> Snake wrote:
>> I've just leaped in to using Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop, having had no
>> previous experience in Linux. I've been trying things out and somehow
>> have lost Gnome loading automatically when I boot.
>>
>> I arrive at a text based login screen and after I type in my username
>> and password I can get to Gnome by typing startx.
>>
>> But I would prefer to get back to having the graphical login screen
>> that I had previously.
>>
>> Can anyone help me?
>>
>> thanks
>> Richard
>>

> Try
> dpkg-reconfigure gdm

Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

You must be logged in as the first user and the password is that user's
password.

Bobs

Rebel Lion wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:11:52 +1300, none wrote:
>
> > Snake wrote:
> >> I've just leaped in to using Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop, having had no
> >> previous experience in Linux. I've been trying things out and somehow
> >> have lost Gnome loading automatically when I boot.
> >>
> >> I arrive at a text based login screen and after I type in my username
> >> and password I can get to Gnome by typing startx.
> >>
> >> But I would prefer to get back to having the graphical login screen
> >> that I had previously.
> >>
> >> Can anyone help me?
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> Richard
> >>

> > Try
> > dpkg-reconfigure gdm

> Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

This **** is why Linux will never get anywhere and why geeks will ever
only use it. I mean, seriously.

> You must be logged in as the first user and the password is that user's
> password.

Earl Grey

Bobs wrote:
> Rebel Lion wrote:

>>> Try
>>> dpkg-reconfigure gdm

>> Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

> This **** is why Linux will never get anywhere and why geeks will ever
> only use it. I mean, seriously.

Remember that next time anyone suggests Start Run cmd regedit look for
key blah blah blah

Miguel

Earl Grey wrote:

> Remember that next time anyone suggests Start Run cmd regedit look for
> key blah blah blah

Grrrrr.....I wanted to be the one to say that.

Snake (OP)....if you've got any questions learning Ubuntu (and if you
stick with it, you will) don't ask them here in nz.comp. There's too
many negative posters.

The best place to ask them is the Ubuntu forums "absolute beginners
forum", found at......

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Really rapid response time from people who want to help you. And a huge
searchable archive of previously asked questions.

Welcome to Ubuntu and good luck with it.

Regards
Miguel

Rebel Lion

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:37:39 -0800, Miguel wrote:

> Earl Grey wrote:
>>

>> Remember that next time anyone suggests Start Run cmd regedit look for
>> key blah blah blah

> Grrrrr.....I wanted to be the one to say that.
>
> Snake (OP)....if you've got any questions learning Ubuntu (and if you
> stick with it, you will) don't ask them here in nz.comp. There's too
> many negative posters.
>
> The best place to ask them is the Ubuntu forums "absolute beginners
> forum", found at......
>
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73
>
> Really rapid response time from people who want to help you. And a huge
> searchable archive of previously asked questions.
>
> Welcome to Ubuntu and good luck with it.

Well said, we may meet there from time to time

My sig is a lotr take off of THE os

Snake

Rebel Lion wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:11:52 +1300, none wrote:
>
> > Snake wrote:
> >> I've just leaped in to using Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop, having had no
> >> previous experience in Linux. I've been trying things out and somehow
> >> have lost Gnome loading automatically when I boot.
> >>
> >> I arrive at a text based login screen and after I type in my username
> >> and password I can get to Gnome by typing startx.
> >>
> >> But I would prefer to get back to having the graphical login screen
> >> that I had previously.
> >>
> >> Can anyone help me?
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> Richard
> >>

> > Try
> > dpkg-reconfigure gdm

> Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
>
> You must be logged in as the first user and the password is that user's
> password.

Thanks for the tip. Just tried it and got:

/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: gdm is broken or not fully installed

Rebel Lion

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:39:28 -0800, Snake wrote:

> Thanks for the tip. Just tried it and got:
>
> /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: gdm is broken or not fully installed

Cool, how did you manage to achieve that ?

Ok try sudo apt-get install -f

If that doesn't work, note you may need to do what I first suggested after
that.

Visit http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

Biggles

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:51:53 -0800, Bobs wrote:

>> > Try
>> > dpkg-reconfigure gdm

>> Nope it is sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

> This **** is why Linux will never get anywhere and why geeks will ever
> only use it. I mean, seriously.

A upgrade to edgy even a fresh install leaves you with a hopelessly broken
mess..

Rock on Ubuntu ..

Biggles ....