Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Copyright

Reply
Thread Tools

Copyright

 
 
charterisbay@yahoo.co.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2007
These monkeys - http://www.wheelnut.co.nz/wnfunstuff.html have nicked a
lot of photos; is there anything to prevent this?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2007
On 10 Jan 2007 11:28:42 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>These monkeys - http://www.wheelnut.co.nz/wnfunstuff.html have nicked a
>lot of photos; is there anything to prevent this?


Depends - were they your photos to begin with? Do you have an
"Acceptable Use" or "Terms of Use" clause on your site?


--
Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

"People should take responsibility for their actions"

- (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Vista
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2007

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> These monkeys - http://www.wheelnut.co.nz/wnfunstuff.html have nicked a
> lot of photos; is there anything to prevent this?
>
>


If you took and own the photos, send them a cease a desist notice, and tell
them if they don't that you will bill them or the use of your photos. If
this does't work, you could contact their web host, as I am sure hosting
illegally gained photos would be a breach of their terms.


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2007
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> These monkeys - http://www.wheelnut.co.nz/wnfunstuff.html have nicked
> a lot of photos; is there anything to prevent this?


I don't know.

However, they do seem rather stupid. That section about the world's most
powerful diesel engine? They say 14 cylinder. The pics of the crank and the
cylinders show very plainly that it's a 10 cylinder engine. Also, they say
'turbo'. I don't see any evidence of that and a two-stroke, by it's very
nature, is 'supercharged' anyway.
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
JohnO
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007

~misfit~ wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > These monkeys - http://www.wheelnut.co.nz/wnfunstuff.html have nicked
> > a lot of photos; is there anything to prevent this?

>
> I don't know.
>
> However, they do seem rather stupid. That section about the world's most
> powerful diesel engine? They say 14 cylinder. The pics of the crank and the
> cylinders show very plainly that it's a 10 cylinder engine. Also, they say
> 'turbo'. I don't see any evidence of that and a two-stroke, by it's very
> nature, is 'supercharged' anyway.
> --
> Shaun.


I don't think the photos are of the same engine. The '12' designation
on the first photo indicates 12 cylinders (typically), and there's 12
sets of widgets along the top. Definitely 10 pots in the other photo.

How is a 2 stroke supercharged by it's very nature? To me
'supercharged' means a compressor driven by the engine feeds the air
intake and has nothing to do with being 2 or 4 stroke?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Hills
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>However, they do seem rather stupid. That section about the world's most
>powerful diesel engine? They say 14 cylinder. The pics of the crank and the
>cylinders show very plainly that it's a 10 cylinder engine. Also, they say
>'turbo'. I don't see any evidence of that and a two-stroke, by it's very
>nature, is 'supercharged' anyway.


Having slagged the wheelnut guys, you then proceed to wedge your own foot
firmly in your mouth.
That engine, the Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C, is available in sizes from 6 to
14 cylinders. It is a turbocharged 2-stroke diesel. Unlike the 2-strokes
most of us are familiar with, it does not use the crankcase or a positive
displacement supercharger for injecting the intake charge, hence the
turbocharger.

Go here for a mirror of the original article from which the pictures came:
http://www.ultimatestupidity.com/pics/1/diesel/
It shows pictures of 10 and 12 cylinder versions and some technical details.

The original page, by Todd Walke, got too popular so he took it down:
http://www.pureluckdesign.com/other/rta96c/index.htm

You can also Google the phrase "Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C" and come up with
any number of hits.

--
Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand
"New interface closely resembles Presentation Manager,
preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
-- Advertisement on the box for Microsoft Windows 2.11 for 286
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2007
JohnO wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > > These monkeys - http://www.wheelnut.co.nz/wnfunstuff.html have
> > > nicked a lot of photos; is there anything to prevent this?

> >
> > I don't know.
> >
> > However, they do seem rather stupid. That section about the world's
> > most powerful diesel engine? They say 14 cylinder. The pics of the
> > crank and the cylinders show very plainly that it's a 10 cylinder
> > engine. Also, they say 'turbo'. I don't see any evidence of that
> > and a two-stroke, by it's very nature, is 'supercharged' anyway.
> > --
> > Shaun.

>
> I don't think the photos are of the same engine. The '12' designation
> on the first photo indicates 12 cylinders (typically), and there's 12
> sets of widgets along the top. Definitely 10 pots in the other photo.


Yeah.

> How is a 2 stroke supercharged by it's very nature? To me
> 'supercharged' means a compressor driven by the engine feeds the air
> intake and has nothing to do with being 2 or 4 stroke?


Exactly. A two-stroke (typically) draws the 'charge' first into the
crankcase (when the piston rises) where it is compressed by the piston
coming down. It is then channeled through the transfer ports into the
combustion chamber at higher-than-ambient pressure. This is one of the
reasons that a two-stroke puts out relatively high power per CC compared
with a typical four-stroke. (Or at least used to).
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2007
Don Hills wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > However, they do seem rather stupid. That section about the world's
> > most powerful diesel engine? They say 14 cylinder. The pics of the
> > crank and the cylinders show very plainly that it's a 10 cylinder
> > engine. Also, they say 'turbo'. I don't see any evidence of that
> > and a two-stroke, by it's very nature, is 'supercharged' anyway.

>
> Having slagged the wheelnut guys, you then proceed to wedge your own
> foot firmly in your mouth.
> That engine, the Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C, is available in sizes from
> 6 to 14 cylinders. It is a turbocharged 2-stroke diesel. Unlike the
> 2-strokes most of us are familiar with, it does not use the crankcase
> or a positive displacement supercharger for injecting the intake
> charge, hence the turbocharger.
>
> Go here for a mirror of the original article from which the pictures
> came: http://www.ultimatestupidity.com/pics/1/diesel/
> It shows pictures of 10 and 12 cylinder versions and some technical
> details.
>
> The original page, by Todd Walke, got too popular so he took it down:
> http://www.pureluckdesign.com/other/rta96c/index.htm
>
> You can also Google the phrase "Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C" and come up
> with any number of hits.


Heh! I don't see it as myself having eaten my foot. I was merely going by
what was available on that page. You can't deny that, on the face of it, the
wheelnut guys were being confusing to say the least?

Strange that it doesn't use the crankcase in the usual two-stroke way.
That's always been one of the big advantages of two-strokes, "free"
supercharging. I remeber (vaguely) that, back in the 50s (?) a European (?)
motorcycle manufacturer made a two cylinder two-stroke with both cylinders
firing at the same time and a dummy cylinder (at 90 degrees to the main two
IIRC), the sole purpose of which was to increase the supercharging effect.

Just followed your link. Man, that's an interesting engine. 102rpm? Heh,
must be the slowest revving two-stroke in the world as well. It's also
*extremely* 'under-square', almost a contradiction from what one would
expect from a two-stroke but right for the speed.

Thanks for the correction and the link. I remember seeing a massive 12 (?)
cylinder diesel engine at Meremere/Kopuku. It used to be used to run the
aerial bucket-line that delivered coal form the mine to the power plant.
About 8 - 10 miles maybe. I wonder what happened to that thing and what type
of engine it was. I don't think it was one of these, although you never
know.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
E. Scrooge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2007

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45a81f84$(E-Mail Removed)...
> JohnO wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> > > These monkeys - http://www.wheelnut.co.nz/wnfunstuff.html have
>> > > nicked a lot of photos; is there anything to prevent this?
>> >
>> > I don't know.
>> >
>> > However, they do seem rather stupid. That section about the world's
>> > most powerful diesel engine? They say 14 cylinder. The pics of the
>> > crank and the cylinders show very plainly that it's a 10 cylinder
>> > engine. Also, they say 'turbo'. I don't see any evidence of that
>> > and a two-stroke, by it's very nature, is 'supercharged' anyway.
>> > --
>> > Shaun.

>>
>> I don't think the photos are of the same engine. The '12' designation
>> on the first photo indicates 12 cylinders (typically), and there's 12
>> sets of widgets along the top. Definitely 10 pots in the other photo.

>
> Yeah.
>
>> How is a 2 stroke supercharged by it's very nature? To me
>> 'supercharged' means a compressor driven by the engine feeds the air
>> intake and has nothing to do with being 2 or 4 stroke?

>
> Exactly. A two-stroke (typically) draws the 'charge' first into the
> crankcase (when the piston rises) where it is compressed by the piston
> coming down. It is then channeled through the transfer ports into the
> combustion chamber at higher-than-ambient pressure. This is one of the
> reasons that a two-stroke puts out relatively high power per CC compared
> with a typical four-stroke. (Or at least used to).
> --
> Shaun.


You're in the wrong group - unless your computer happens to be powered by a
2 stroke. Which wouldn't entirely surprise me.
LOL

Not forgetting that it was your choice to play newsgroup police over Bobs
post about his computer related problem.

E. Scrooge


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2007
E. Scrooge wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45a81f84$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > JohnO wrote:
> > > ~misfit~ wrote:
> > > > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > > > > These monkeys - http://www.wheelnut.co.nz/wnfunstuff.html have
> > > > > nicked a lot of photos; is there anything to prevent this?
> > > >
> > > > I don't know.
> > > >
> > > > However, they do seem rather stupid. That section about the
> > > > world's most powerful diesel engine? They say 14 cylinder. The
> > > > pics of the crank and the cylinders show very plainly that it's
> > > > a 10 cylinder engine. Also, they say 'turbo'. I don't see any
> > > > evidence of that and a two-stroke, by it's very nature, is
> > > > 'supercharged' anyway. --
> > > > Shaun.
> > >
> > > I don't think the photos are of the same engine. The '12'
> > > designation on the first photo indicates 12 cylinders
> > > (typically), and there's 12 sets of widgets along the top.
> > > Definitely 10 pots in the other photo.

> >
> > Yeah.
> >
> > > How is a 2 stroke supercharged by it's very nature? To me
> > > 'supercharged' means a compressor driven by the engine feeds the
> > > air intake and has nothing to do with being 2 or 4 stroke?

> >
> > Exactly. A two-stroke (typically) draws the 'charge' first into the
> > crankcase (when the piston rises) where it is compressed by the
> > piston coming down. It is then channeled through the transfer ports
> > into the combustion chamber at higher-than-ambient pressure. This
> > is one of the reasons that a two-stroke puts out relatively high
> > power per CC compared with a typical four-stroke. (Or at least used
> > to). --
> > Shaun.

>
> You're in the wrong group - unless your computer happens to be
> powered by a 2 stroke. Which wouldn't entirely surprise me.
> LOL


OMG!!! That's soooo funny.

> Not forgetting that it was your choice to play newsgroup police over
> Bobs post about his computer related problem.


You really are a troll aren't you Scrooge? Getting worse by the day. Time
for you to join Roger, David et al. in the killfile.

Buh-bye.
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
copyright symbol in web.config =?Utf-8?B?bW9XaGl0ZQ==?= ASP .Net 10 08-22-2012 05:29 AM
Youtube copyright infringements are not all bad for the copyright holders? Colin B Digital Photography 195 01-19-2007 09:00 AM
copyright? =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVs?= ASP .Net 2 09-12-2005 02:35 PM
VHDL/Software copyright questions Bob VHDL 4 09-08-2004 11:03 AM
Intellectual Property / Copyright Registration Martin ASP .Net 3 03-03-2004 03:30 PM



Advertisments