Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > iPhone

iPhone

Allistar

Just saw this on the news, check out here:

http://images.apple.com/iphone/

I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support too.

Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.

Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the moment).

Allistar.

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Allistar wrote:
> Just saw this on the news, check out here:
>
> http://images.apple.com/iphone/
>
> I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support
> too.
>
> Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.
>
> Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the
> moment).

Actually it's 4 or 8 GB.

From Apple's press release:
"iPhone will be available in the US in June 2007, Europe in late 2007,
and Asia in 2008, in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (
US), and will work with either a PC or Mac."

Those prices are for a 2-year contract though, so what an unencumbered
iPhone will sell for is anyone's guess. And we probably won't see them
in NZ for at least a year.

A few interesting notes:
It runs OS X. Not Mac OS X, it's just called OS X for the iPhone.
Finger scrolling through lists has momentum, just like the wheel on the
Logitech Revolution mice.
Leave it to Apple to combine phone/web/email/music/video and more, and
put one button on it. There is only one button on it! )

--
* Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
* PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac

Rob

"Roger Johnstone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In <(E-Mail Removed)> Allistar wrote:
>> Just saw this on the news, check out here:
>>
>> http://images.apple.com/iphone/
>>
>> I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support
>> too.
>>
>> Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.
>>
>> Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the
>> moment).

> Actually it's 4 or 8 GB.
>
> From Apple's press release:
> "iPhone will be available in the US in June 2007, Europe in late 2007,
> and Asia in 2008, in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (
> US), and will work with either a PC or Mac."
>
> Those prices are for a 2-year contract though, so what an unencumbered
> iPhone will sell for is anyone's guess. And we probably won't see them
> in NZ for at least a year.
>
> A few interesting notes:
> It runs OS X. Not Mac OS X, it's just called OS X for the iPhone.
> Finger scrolling through lists has momentum, just like the wheel on the
> Logitech Revolution mice.
> Leave it to Apple to combine phone/web/email/music/video and more, and
> put one button on it. There is only one button on it! )
>
> --
> * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
> * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
> * SCART RGB video cable for Apple IIGS

It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone, as
there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can show off.I
wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one in the flash
movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life (of running such a
big screen), and the durability of the screen, as such a screen could easily
be damaged. It may take 3 generations of phone before they get everything
perfect, like the current ipods (apart from not fm radio).

whome

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Just saw this on the news, check out here:
>
> http://images.apple.com/iphone/
>
> I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support
> too.
>
> Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.
>
> Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the
> moment).
>
> Allistar.

Jeez, imagine the screen after a days use. It'll be scratched up to buggery
if their other products are anything to go by.

Maybe I should call them and point out this obvious design fault

Looks nice.

Rob

"whome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Just saw this on the news, check out here:
>>
>> http://images.apple.com/iphone/
>>
>> I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support
>> too.
>>
>> Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.
>>
>> Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the
>> moment).
>>
>> Allistar.

> Jeez, imagine the screen after a days use. It'll be scratched up to
> buggery if their other products are anything to go by.
>
> Maybe I should call them and point out this obvious design fault
>
> Looks nice.

I am sure they will be selling a whole heap of different skins for it. Maybe
they should make the screen glass or a similar product.

-=rjh=-

Rob wrote:
> "Roger Johnstone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In <(E-Mail Removed)> Allistar wrote:
>>> Just saw this on the news, check out here:
>>>
>>> http://images.apple.com/iphone/
>>>
>>> I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support
>>> too.
>>>
>>> Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.
>>>
>>> Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the
>>> moment).

>> Actually it's 4 or 8 GB.
>>
>> From Apple's press release:
>> "iPhone will be available in the US in June 2007, Europe in late 2007,
>> and Asia in 2008, in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (
>> US), and will work with either a PC or Mac."
>>
>> Those prices are for a 2-year contract though, so what an unencumbered
>> iPhone will sell for is anyone's guess. And we probably won't see them
>> in NZ for at least a year.
>>
>> A few interesting notes:
>> It runs OS X. Not Mac OS X, it's just called OS X for the iPhone.
>> Finger scrolling through lists has momentum, just like the wheel on the
>> Logitech Revolution mice.
>> Leave it to Apple to combine phone/web/email/music/video and more, and
>> put one button on it. There is only one button on it! )
>>
>> --
>> * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
>> * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
>> * SCART RGB video cable for Apple IIGS

> It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone, as
> there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can show off.I
> wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one in the flash
> movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life (of running such a
> big screen), and the durability of the screen, as such a screen could easily
> be damaged. It may take 3 generations of phone before they get everything
> perfect, like the current ipods (apart from not fm radio).

It looked pretty real on Jobs' keynote speech today An absolute
must-see. This is a stunning product. I'd like one without the phone
functionality, just Wifi would be fine.

Apple introduced this ahead of its June launch because they didn't want
the FCC to introduce it for them, and it will take that long for FCC
approval. They don't have to worry about network opreators having to
approve it because there will only be Cingular (in the US, anyway).

Battery life is claimed to be 5 hours talk/video/web. 16 hours music.

-=rjh=-

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> "Roger Johnstone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Actually it's 4 or 8 GB.
>>>
>>> From Apple's press release:
>>> "iPhone will be available in the US in June 2007, Europe in late 2007,
>>> and Asia in 2008, in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for
>>> $599 (
>>> US), and will work with either a PC or Mac."
>>>
>>> Those prices are for a 2-year contract though, so what an unencumbered
>>> iPhone will sell for is anyone's guess. And we probably won't see them
>>> in NZ for at least a year.
>>>
>>> A few interesting notes:
>>> It runs OS X. Not Mac OS X, it's just called OS X for the iPhone.
>>> Finger scrolling through lists has momentum, just like the wheel on the
>>> Logitech Revolution mice.
>>> Leave it to Apple to combine phone/web/email/music/video and more, and
>>> put one button on it. There is only one button on it! )
>>>
>>> --
>>> * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
>>> * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
>>> * SCART RGB video cable for Apple IIGS

>> It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone,
>> as there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can
>> show off.I wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one
>> in the flash movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life
>> (of running such a big screen), and the durability of the screen, as
>> such a screen could easily be damaged. It may take 3 generations of
>> phone before they get everything perfect, like the current ipods
>> (apart from not fm radio).
>>

> It looked pretty real on Jobs' keynote speech today An absolute
> must-see. This is a stunning product. I'd like one without the phone
> functionality, just Wifi would be fine.
>
> Apple introduced this ahead of its June launch because they didn't want
> the FCC to introduce it for them, and it will take that long for FCC
> approval. They don't have to worry about network opreators having to
> approve it because there will only be Cingular (in the US, anyway).
>
> Battery life is claimed to be 5 hours talk/video/web. 16 hours music.

Oh yeah, this might be the first device widely available with
multi-touch input - ie, to zoom out when viewing images/web pages you
pinch your fingers together, just like in Jeff Hann's demo at TED last year.

Phil

Allistar wrote, On 10/01/07 7.21 p:
> I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support too.

It does look very nice, but I recognise most of the features from the
Nokia Nseries (which I currently use) but with a much slicker interface.

Unfortunately, that camera on the back looks pretty weak and it doesn't
have 3G (but that's on the next version from the sounds of it).

> Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.

I doubt it, the announced cost is with a 2-year contract with Cingular.
And US cellphone companies are used to taking big hits on phone prices
when offered with contracts (and given how popular this phone will be
for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't absorbing a few
hundred dollars).

Expect to pay *a lot* more for it.

I personally really like the looks of this phone, but until it gets a
better camera, 3G, and there's good 3rd party developer support -- I'm
looking forward to the Nokia N95.

-Phil

Phil

Rob wrote, On 10/01/07 9.16 p:
> It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone, as
> there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can show off.I
> wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one in the flash
> movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life (of running such a
> big screen).

I take it you didn't watch the keynote?

Steve Jobs' demonstrated all the major features of it, and given they
want to get it out by June, it'd have to be very close to (if not
already in) production.

-Phil

Rob

"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rob wrote, On 10/01/07 9.16 p:
>> It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone, as
>> there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can show
>> off.I wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one in the
>> flash movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life (of
>> running such a big screen).

> I take it you didn't watch the keynote?
>
> Steve Jobs' demonstrated all the major features of it, and given they want
> to get it out by June, it'd have to be very close to (if not already in)
> production.
>
> -Phil

I did just have a quick look at the keynote, but how do we actually know it
was a fully working phone. It is possible that whole thing could have been
controlled from a back room and they beamed the video to the screen on the
phone to and scripted the movements. It definitely would have been possible
to fake it, to make it look like it was working, and would have prevented
any embarrassing demo glitches. It did have a chunky wire coming out of it,
so why didn't they use the wifi to send the picture to the projector as it
is supposed to be wifi capable. Did they have a demo unit that they were
letting people/reporters try out ?