Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Extending the PDH/E1 from PBX to VoIP router

Extending the PDH/E1 from PBX to VoIP router

PAMRibeiro

I'm trying to deploy a VoIP infrastructure. To protect our previous
investment in the old PBX (an Alcatel 4400) I'm projecting the
interconnection between VoIP and the POTS via one or two E1s available
in the PBX and one C28xx with dual E1.
The problem is that the PBX in one building and the IT stuff (routers,
etc) are in another.
In the PBX room (managed by people outside my IT "crew") I don't have
any conditions to leave the router (air conditioning, rack, space, etc
....).
The only connecting I have between the PBX and the data/communication
center is via a multi-pair (50 pairs i think) cable of about 150
meters.

I know the physical interfaces of the Cisco VoIP/E1 board are G.703
based and the ones in the PBX too.
Is it possible to make the connection using two pairs of the multi-pair
cable avoiding the extra cost of some active equipment or passing new
specialized cabling?
I have heard something about converting the G.703 to balanced 120 ohm
(using a Balun transformer) to no one had given me real
details/guarantees that it works.

Does anyone have experience in this area?
What is the common solution for this problem? (inter-connecting two
G.703/E1 interfaces separated by ~150m and with simple low grade
multi-pair telephonic cable)

Thanks!