Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Setting up a new connection ... again, again!

Setting up a new connection ... again, again!

David Love

Hello

Thank you for all those who made the latest suggestions regarding
solving my problem. In the end, 'cos I decided to take the easy way
out, I completely reinstalled Windows 2000 Professional; downloaded
and applied all the updates, and, much to my delight, when I went to
establish a New Connection, it worked

And for Dianthus Mimulus. My operating system of choice is RISC OS.
I use Windows solely because there is no decent genealogy programme
for RISC OS. Over the last eighteen months or so I have learnt a
little about Windows - enough to set up an Internet Connection, using
the Wizard - which is why I was surprised that things went wrong on
this occasion.

And just to add to the mix, I am presently teaching myself to use SuSE
10.1. Gotta keep my geriatric brain active, yer know

David
--
David Love
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Peter

David Love wrote:
> I use Windows solely because there is no decent genealogy programme
> for RISC OS.
> And just to add to the mix, I am presently teaching myself to use SuSE
> 10.1. Gotta keep my geriatric brain active, yer know

I use Gramps on my Kubuntu system, and it should be available as part of the
SuSE distro. If not, it is available from ...
http://gramps-project.org/

HTH

Peter

Dianthus Mimulus

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 19:38:21 +1300, David Love wrote:

> And for Dianthus Mimulus. My operating system of choice is RISC OS.

Cool! Wasn't there a recent update released for that OS?

> I use Windows solely because there is no decent genealogy programme
> for RISC OS. Over the last eighteen months or so I have learnt a
> little about Windows - enough to set up an Internet Connection, using
> the Wizard - which is why I was surprised that things went wrong on
> this occasion.

Restarts often sort out many M$ Windows problems. Reinstalls sort out many
others. That's the Microsoft way. )

> And just to add to the mix, I am presently teaching myself to use SuSE
> 10.1. Gotta keep my geriatric brain active, yer know

You may want to upgrade that to SuSE 10.2 - it is much improved over 10.1
and is without the major bugs that plagued 10.1 . SuSE 10.2 is very nice
indeed. )

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918

Biggles

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 07:51:18 +1300, Dianthus Mimulus wrote:

> You may want to upgrade that to SuSE 10.2 - it is much improved over 10.1
> and is without the major bugs that plagued 10.1 . SuSE 10.2 is very nice
> indeed. )

Amusing how the cola trolls only admit to major bugs plaguing a distro
..after the are fixed ...