Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Bypass DeviceLock's

Bypass DeviceLock's

zantoutm

I want to bypass DeviceLock's security on my local computer, i.e.
disable DeviceLock; any one can help on this challenge?

Dianthus Mimulus

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 00:34:06 -0800, zantoutm wrote:

> I want to bypass DeviceLock's security on my local computer, i.e.
> disable DeviceLock; any one can help on this challenge?

Why is the device locking?

Please tell us more about the PC. What device? What Operating System?

What problem *specifically* are you having?

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918

zantoutm

Hi All,

I'm running Win XP Proffissional on my PC over Win2k3 domain. I'm in
charge of evaluating the software whether it can be broke (user can
stop/disable the service "dlservice.exe" ) or not.
Note: DeviceLock is a policy based access control solution that enables
control of USB and FireWire portable storage devices accross the
network. You can cotroll reading, writing or both together.

Regards,

M. Zantout

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 04:24:00 -0800, zantoutm wrote:

> I'm running Win XP Proffissional on my PC over Win2k3 domain. I'm in
> charge of evaluating the software whether it can be broke (user can
> stop/disable the service "dlservice.exe" ) or not.
> Note: DeviceLock is a policy based access control solution that enables
> control of USB and FireWire portable storage devices accross the
> network. You can cotroll reading, writing or both together.

If it is controlled by policy, then clearly the way to change access to
that device is by changing the policy.

I suggest that you persue that avenue of enquiry.

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918

Phil

zantoutm wrote, On 7/01/07 9.34 p:
> I want to bypass DeviceLock's security on my local computer, i.e.
> disable DeviceLock; any one can help on this challenge?

It looks pretty good.
The first way that comes to my mind is booting up the machine with a
boot disk and actually remove it (although you can generally put some
protections against this, it really depends on how determined they are).

-Phil

whome

"Dianthus Mimulus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 04:24:00 -0800, zantoutm wrote:
>
>> I'm running Win XP Proffissional on my PC over Win2k3 domain. I'm in
>> charge of evaluating the software whether it can be broke (user can
>> stop/disable the service "dlservice.exe" ) or not.
>> Note: DeviceLock is a policy based access control solution that enables
>> control of USB and FireWire portable storage devices accross the
>> network. You can cotroll reading, writing or both together.

> If it is controlled by policy, then clearly the way to change access to
> that device is by changing the policy.
>
> I suggest that you persue that avenue of enquiry.
>

> --
> Dianthus Mimulus
>
> Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
> http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918

Do you know what you are talking about?

zantoutm

Hi Phil,

Another solution came to my mind is to install "virtual machine" on the
PC, by this we should be able to get access to the PC resources
independently from the original O.S. !!

Regards,

Phil wrote:
> zantoutm wrote, On 7/01/07 9.34 p:
> > I want to bypass DeviceLock's security on my local computer, i.e.
> > disable DeviceLock; any one can help on this challenge?
> >

> It looks pretty good.
> The first way that comes to my mind is booting up the machine with a
> boot disk and actually remove it (although you can generally put some
> protections against this, it really depends on how determined they are).
>
> -Phil

Phil

zantoutm wrote, On 8/01/07 10.27 p:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Another solution came to my mind is to install "virtual machine" on the
> PC, by this we should be able to get access to the PC resources
> independently from the original O.S. !!

I don't know specifically how DeviceLock works, but a VM has to proxy
hardware access through the host system and will probably be blocked.
You might want to test this though.

-Phil

Nathan Mercer

zantoutm wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Another solution came to my mind is to install "virtual machine" on the
> PC, by this we should be able to get access to the PC resources
> independently from the original O.S. !!
>
> Regards,

If I have the security permission to install Virtual Machine software,
then I also have permission to disable your device blocking software

Cheers
Nathan

zantoutm

There is one DLL file related to this software called "DLGPC.DLL", when
I right click it and checked the properties, I didn't find the
"Security" tab nor even "Share" tab !!? it means that this software
tackes the control from the Local Admin. on this security portion for
this file.

zantoutm,