Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > iBook question

iBook question

Sue Bilstein

I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
ones to the chemist to get prints).

Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?

I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.

I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
even see photos in the iPhoto folders.

Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

Fred

"Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
> digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
> starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
> good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
> transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
> ones to the chemist to get prints).
>
> Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
>
> I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
> it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
> either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
>
> I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
> even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
>
> Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

It might have more to do with the camera that the computer. I know my camera
won't accept back photos from a PC if they have been renamed.

E. Scrooge

"Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
> digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
> starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
> good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
> transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
> ones to the chemist to get prints).
>
> Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
>
> I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
> it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
> either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
>
> I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
> even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
>
> Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

Buy a cheap Canon printer and print your own. You can crop and edit them to
suit. Some indoor shots with the flash may need to be slightly brighter.
Premium glossy paper from the Wareehouse is of a very good quality and cheap
enough.

Otherwise you could put the photos on a CD and take that along to have the
photos printed from.

E. Scrooge

Philip

E. Scrooge wrote:
> "Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>> I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
>> digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
>> starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
>> good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
>> transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
>> ones to the chemist to get prints).
>>
>> Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
>>
>> I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
>> it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
>> either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
>>
>> I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
>> even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
>>
>> Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

> Buy a cheap Canon printer and print your own. You can crop and edit them to
> suit. Some indoor shots with the flash may need to be slightly brighter.
> Premium glossy paper from the Wareehouse is of a very good quality and cheap
> enough.
>
> Otherwise you could put the photos on a CD and take that along to have the
> photos printed from.
>
> E. Scrooge

I don't know anything about Macs, but on my Ubuntu machines, and on my
son's Thinkpad running Windows XP, a connected camera appears as an
additional drive, called something like CASIO. or on the Thinkpad it
gets the next available drive letter. Would a useful answer be to bypass
the camera's supplied software and just write to the flash memory using
the OS, as if it were another drive? Maybe you need specifically to
mount a drive or folder in MAC OS, perhaps by closing down the iPhoto
function and letting the OS do its USB recognition thing?

BICBW.

Philip

bharmer

On 6 Jan 2007 00:28:25 -0800, "Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
>digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
>starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
>good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
>transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
>ones to the chemist to get prints).
>
>Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
>
>I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
>it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
>either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
>
>I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
>even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
>
>Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

Why force it back to the camera? There are processors who can receive
emailed files (here in NZ, Digitalmax does it well), and most can cope
with files on CDs or any variety of flash card or USB memory stick.

Tilly

Sue Bilstein wrote:
> I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
> digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
> starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
> good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
> transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the
> good ones to the chemist to get prints).
>
> Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
>
> I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) -
> but it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the
> camera either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
>
> I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
> even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
>
> Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

The easist thing to do Sue is to transfer the pics to a CD and take the CD
for processing.

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed) om> Sue Bilstein
wrote:
> I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
> digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
> starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
> good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
> transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the
> good ones to the chemist to get prints).
>
> Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
>
> I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) -
> but it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the
> camera either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
>
> I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
> even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
>
> Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

Switch to the Finder, select the menu Go -> Computer. This will open a
window showing all the mounted volumes, hopefully including the camera
card. Open the camera card. In iPhoto drag the photos from iPhoto's
window to the camera card's window in the Finder.

If you want more control you can use iPhoto's menu command File ->
Export..., which will let you pick the format, resize the pictures, and
choose an export location.

--
* Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
* PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac

E. Scrooge

"Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:459f6498$(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>> "Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>>> I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
>>> digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
>>> starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
>>> good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
>>> transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
>>> ones to the chemist to get prints).
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
>>>
>>> I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
>>> it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
>>> either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
>>>
>>> I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
>>> even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
>>>
>>> Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

>> Buy a cheap Canon printer and print your own. You can crop and edit them
>> to suit. Some indoor shots with the flash may need to be slightly
>> brighter.
>> Premium glossy paper from the Wareehouse is of a very good quality and
>> cheap enough.
>>
>> Otherwise you could put the photos on a CD and take that along to have
>> the photos printed from.
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> I don't know anything about Macs, but on my Ubuntu machines, and on my
> son's Thinkpad running Windows XP, a connected camera appears as an
> additional drive, called something like CASIO. or on the Thinkpad it gets
> the next available drive letter. Would a useful answer be to bypass the
> camera's supplied software and just write to the flash memory using the
> OS, as if it were another drive? Maybe you need specifically to mount a
> drive or folder in MAC OS, perhaps by closing down the iPhoto function and
> letting the OS do its USB recognition thing?
>
> BICBW.
>
> Philip

Only some brands of cameras are able to be like a Flash drive. I've sent
files to my Olympus and it's kept the original file names.
Among cameras that don't are Canon, but it's no big deal. In Sue's case the
pictures don't have to be sent back to the camera onto it's own memory card,
the edited pictures can be put onto a CD. Best not to bugger round with
folders but have the pictures straight onto the directory of the CD. The
places doing the printing will advise how best to have the pictures on the
CD if need be.

E. Scrooge

wogers nemesis

On 6 Jan 2007 00:28:25 -0800, Sue Bilstein wrote:

> I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
> digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
> starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
> good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
> transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
> ones to the chemist to get prints).
>
> Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
>
> I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
> it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
> either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
>
> I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
> even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
>
> Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

If it is anything like some Canon camera's then the flash card in the
camera won't appear as a drive you could write to (e.g. drag and drop using
the finder). You have to use the maker's software. Or you can just get a
cheap USB card reader and pop the media out of the camera, into the
reader....

bharmer

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 01:31:40 +1300, wogers nemesis <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 6 Jan 2007 00:28:25 -0800, Sue Bilstein wrote:
>
>> I gave my parents our old digital camera for Xmas - their first
>> digital. Dad has an iBook. It has a product called iPhoto which
>> starts automatically when I connect the camera. This seems to be a
>> good image processing tool, EXCEPT that I can't work out how to
>> transfer photos from iPhoto back into the camera (e.g. to take the good
>> ones to the chemist to get prints).
>>
>> Does anyone know how to do this job, in iPhoto?
>>
>> I installed the proprietary software (Camedia Master for Olympus) - but
>> it doesn't seem to have any way to transfer photos back into the camera
>> either, and it's clunky compared to iPhoto.
>>
>> I tried using the Mac version of Explorer - Finder? - but it can't
>> even see photos in the iPhoto folders.
>>
>> Hoping some Mac user can help us out ... ?

>If it is anything like some Canon camera's then the flash card in the
>camera won't appear as a drive you could write to (e.g. drag and drop using
>the finder). You have to use the maker's software. Or you can just get a
>cheap USB card reader and pop the media out of the camera, into the
>reader....

A course I took on digital photogrphy suggested that most of the
propietary transfer programs had disadvantages. The tutor suggested
that the quickest and easiest way to transfer images was by putting
the camera's memory card into a multifunction card reader (they cost
about $25 in NZ) and then just manipulating the images between
folders.

iBook prob with Cisco 1200 AP Tom Lowry Cisco 0 06-06-2005 08:00 PM
Wireless with iBook Kurtis Baxter Computer Support 1 03-10-2005 02:10 AM
Ibook Problem GC Computer Support 4 06-15-2004 11:18 PM
Sending mail problem with Netscape 7.02 and ibook with sys 9.2? Mac Main Firefox 4 05-12-2004 07:30 AM
applemac ibook surfing.crew Computer Support 1 09-06-2003 10:06 AM

Advertisments