Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Setting up a new connection ...

Setting up a new connection ...

David Love

I thank everyone who has responded in an endeavour to assist me to
make a new connection on my friend's computer. As it has been
suggested that more information is required, here
is the fullest I can give.

(1) Dell Optiplex GX10 with 256 MB RS

(2) Windows 2000 Professional installed and all updates applied.

(3) This is the procedure I followed:

(a) Click on Start
(b) Choose Settings - Control Panel - Network and Dialup Connections
(c) Click on Make New Connection
(d) Screen: Network Connection Wizard - Click on Next
(e) Screen: Network Connection Type - Choose: Dial-up to the Internet
(f) Click on Next
(g) Screen: Welcome to the Internet Wizard - Choose: I want to set up
my Internet connection manually, or I want to set up a Local Area
Network (LAN)
(h) Click on Next
(i) Screen: Setting up your Internet Connection - Choose: connect
through a phone line and a modem.
(j) Click on Next
(k) Screen: Step 1 of 3: Internet account connection information.
Area code already filled in (9). Enter telephone number - 087 30 30 30
- Use area code is ticked.
(l) Click Next
(m) Screen: Step 2 of 3: Internet account logon information. Two
fields - one with label User name - accept the default Home. The
other Password - type in the appropriate details.
(n) Click Next
(o) Screen: Step 3 of 3 Configuring your computer. One field entitled
Connection name, filled in with Connection to 087 30 30 30. The text
is highlighted, so I press the delete key to get rid of it and enter
the name of the ISP - xtra.
(q) Click Next which results in an Error dialogue box

"Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
a different name."

(r) I have tried typing: Xtra, xtra, isp, ISP and words chosen at
random. All with the same result.

(4) I have done as suggested and done a Repair to Windows 200
Professional. It made no difference. Indeed, I have now done this a
number of times.

(5) I have typed the text into Notepad and then copied it into the
appropriate field. It made no difference.

I'm sure there is a "simple" answer. But what?

David
--
David Love
Double your drive space: Delete Windows!

Robin Halligan

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 15:59:36 +1300, David Love wrote:

<lots of detail snipped>

> (o) Screen: Step 3 of 3 Configuring your computer. One field entitled
> Connection name, filled in with Connection to 087 30 30 30. The text
> is highlighted, so I press the delete key to get rid of it and enter
> the name of the ISP - xtra.

I have a suggestion Dave why not leave the info they supply in the field?
it is only a label so it is not intrinsically important.

just a thought

> David

Robin

--
Red Dwarf Kryten
As the days go by, we are faced with the increasing inevitability that we

Enkidu

David Love wrote:
> I thank everyone who has responded in an endeavour to assist me to
> make a new connection on my friend's computer. As it has been
> suggested that more information is required, here
> is the fullest I can give.
>
> (1) Dell Optiplex GX10 with 256 MB RS
>
> (2) Windows 2000 Professional installed and all updates applied.
>
> (3) This is the procedure I followed:
>
> (a) Click on Start
> (b) Choose Settings - Control Panel - Network and Dialup Connections
> (c) Click on Make New Connection
> (d) Screen: Network Connection Wizard - Click on Next
> (e) Screen: Network Connection Type - Choose: Dial-up to the Internet
> (f) Click on Next
> (g) Screen: Welcome to the Internet Wizard - Choose: I want to set up
> my Internet connection manually, or I want to set up a Local Area
> Network (LAN)
> (h) Click on Next
> (i) Screen: Setting up your Internet Connection - Choose: connect
> through a phone line and a modem.
> (j) Click on Next
> (k) Screen: Step 1 of 3: Internet account connection information.
> Area code already filled in (9). Enter telephone number - 087 30 30 30
> - Use area code is ticked.
> (l) Click Next
> (m) Screen: Step 2 of 3: Internet account logon information. Two
> fields - one with label User name - accept the default Home. The
> other Password - type in the appropriate details.
> (n) Click Next
> (o) Screen: Step 3 of 3 Configuring your computer. One field entitled
> Connection name, filled in with Connection to 087 30 30 30. The text
> is highlighted, so I press the delete key to get rid of it and enter
> the name of the ISP - xtra.
> (q) Click Next which results in an Error dialogue box
>
> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
> a different name."

David, I have duplicated what you have done on Windows 2000 here. When I
get to (o) above I clear the field and type Xtra and it works. I am
using Windows 2000 and I have installed Service Pack 4. I don't know
what else to suggest, except to ensure that you have SP4 on.

BTW, what Lennier (aka Dianthus Mimulus) suggests is essentially what
you did but from a different starting point, so it is unlikely to make a
difference.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

David Love

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Robin Halligan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 15:59:36 +1300, David Love wrote:
>
> <lots of detail snipped>
>

>> (o) Screen: Step 3 of 3 Configuring your computer. One field entitled
>> Connection name, filled in with Connection to 087 30 30 30. The text
>> is highlighted, so I press the delete key to get rid of it and enter
>> the name of the ISP - xtra.

> I have a suggestion Dave why not leave the info they supply in the field?
> it is only a label so it is not intrinsically important.
>
> just a thought

Done that but returns same error

David
--
David Love
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

Collector»NZ

David Love wrote:
> I thank everyone who has responded in an endeavour to assist me to
> make a new connection on my friend's computer. As it has been
> suggested that more information is required, here
> is the fullest I can give.
>
> (1) Dell Optiplex GX10 with 256 MB RS
>
> (2) Windows 2000 Professional installed and all updates applied.
>
> (3) This is the procedure I followed:
>
> (a) Click on Start
> (b) Choose Settings - Control Panel - Network and Dialup Connections
> (c) Click on Make New Connection
> (d) Screen: Network Connection Wizard - Click on Next
> (e) Screen: Network Connection Type - Choose: Dial-up to the Internet
> (f) Click on Next
> (g) Screen: Welcome to the Internet Wizard - Choose: I want to set up
> my Internet connection manually, or I want to set up a Local Area
> Network (LAN)
> (h) Click on Next
> (i) Screen: Setting up your Internet Connection - Choose: connect
> through a phone line and a modem.
> (j) Click on Next
> (k) Screen: Step 1 of 3: Internet account connection information.
> Area code already filled in (9). Enter telephone number - 087 30 30 30
> - Use area code is ticked.
> (l) Click Next
> (m) Screen: Step 2 of 3: Internet account logon information. Two
> fields - one with label User name - accept the default Home. The
> other Password - type in the appropriate details.
> (n) Click Next
> (o) Screen: Step 3 of 3 Configuring your computer. One field entitled
> Connection name, filled in with Connection to 087 30 30 30. The text
> is highlighted, so I press the delete key to get rid of it and enter
> the name of the ISP - xtra.
> (q) Click Next which results in an Error dialogue box
>
> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
> a different name."
>
> (r) I have tried typing: Xtra, xtra, isp, ISP and words chosen at
> random. All with the same result.
>
> (4) I have done as suggested and done a Repair to Windows 200
> Professional. It made no difference. Indeed, I have now done this a
> number of times.
>
> (5) I have typed the text into Notepad and then copied it into the
> appropriate field. It made no difference.
>
> I'm sure there is a "simple" answer. But what?
>
> David
> --
> David Love
> Double your drive space: Delete Windows!

As I have said before if it is a new "Self Install" connection with xtra using
there provided router you must use there supplied CD as it sets up the user on
there servers

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

Dianthus Mimulus

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 06:49:55 +1300, David Love wrote:

>> I have a suggestion Dave why not leave the info they supply in the field?
>> it is only a label so it is not intrinsically important.
>>
>> just a thought

> Done that but returns same error

How are you connecting the internet connection to your PC?

Has that device been installed?

Is that device correctly configured?

Have you tried reinstalling that device?

Failing all that, reinstall M$ Windows.

If a reinstallation over the top of the existing system does not work, try
clearing all the data of that PC that you want to keep (generally that
means all the stuff within your documents & settings directory) and then
reformat the HDD and install everything from scratch.

Failing that, is there a fault with the hardware somewhere?

--
Dianthus Mimulus

Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/full...#_Toc447960918