Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Setting up a new connection ...

Setting up a new connection ...

David Love

Hi!

I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :

"Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
a different name."

Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
message.

Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
internet?

David
--
David Love
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

none

David Love wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
> a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
>
> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
> a different name."
>
> Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
> message.
>
> Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
> overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
> internet?
>
> David
> --
> David Love
> A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Collector»NZ

David Love wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
> a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
>
> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
> a different name."
>
> Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
> message.
>
> Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
> overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
> internet?
>
> David
> --
> David Love
> A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

What went wrong is you signed him up with Xtra

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

Geopelia

"Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:459d697e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> David Love wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck a
>> problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
>> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
>> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
>>
>> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
>> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose a
>> different name."
>>
>> Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error message.
>>
>> Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to overcome
>> the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the internet?
>>
>> David
>> --
>> David Love
>> A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

> What went wrong is you signed him up with Xtra

Maybe they wanted it spelt xtra. (Sorry about the dumb suggestion)

Dianthus Mimulus

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 07:04:31 +1300, David Love wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
> a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
>
> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
> a different name."
>
> Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
> message.
>
> Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
> overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
> internet?

What "wizard configuration"?

What operating system are you using?

The error suggests that there is a field that is empty.

Please provide further information.

--
Dianthus Mimulus

MS Windows Vista - broken by design
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...vista_cost.txt

David Love

In message <459d5dd7$(E-Mail Removed)>
none <""mcooper\"@(none)"> wrote:

>> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
>> a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
>> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
>> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
>>
>> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
>> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
>> a different name."

Thanks for the web address. I went to it and downloaded the
instructions. Follwed them but still the problem remains
Repeated the process three times and have not sunk into a state of
"bl**d*" Windows.

Can anybody suggest another way to solve this problem, please.

David
--
David Love
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Dianthus Mimulus

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:23:13 +1300, David Love wrote:

> Can anybody suggest another way to solve this problem, please.

Have you restarted the computer?

--
Dianthus Mimulus

MS Windows Vista - broken by design
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...vista_cost.txt

Enkidu

David Love wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am setting up a new internet connection for a friend but have struck
> a problem. All goes well until I get to page 3 of 3 of the Wizard
> configuration. As he is going to connect to Xtra O enter that as the
> name. When I click to confirm an error message is displayed :
>
> "Xtra is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one
> character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose
> a different name."
>
> Whatever I type into the writable icon leads to the same error
> message.
>
> Can someone tell me what has gone wrong and, even better, how to
> overcome the problem so that I can get this guy connected to the
> internet?

What is the operating system and what do you do to invoke the wizard,
(eg, click "Start, then "programs", then.....)

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Collector»NZ

Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:23:13 +1300, David Love wrote:
>
>> Can anybody suggest another way to solve this problem, please.

> Have you restarted the computer?

Barracking for a job on Xtras help desk are we?

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

David Love

In message <459da93c$(E-Mail Removed)>
Dianthus Mimulus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:23:13 +1300, David Love wrote:
>
>> Can anybody suggest another way to solve this problem, please.

> Have you restarted the computer?

Yes. Doesn't one have to do that every time one moves the mouse

David
--
David Love
It is easier for a father to have children than for children to have a