Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > This group should be renamed nz.comp.linux.fanboys

This group should be renamed nz.comp.linux.fanboys

Fred Dagg

On 28 Dec 2006 15:13:44 -0800, "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>John in Wembley wrote:
>
>> So true, if Linux is so good , well, go use it but why this industry
>> of running down other programs...
>> gezz, get a life guys, its an operating system!
>> me think they guys cant form relationships hence try to have it off
>> with linux. very confused lads

>Simply because the 'other side' is doing its damdness to kill Linux off
>with FUD, pay off 'consultanys' to produce loaded TCO reports,
>apparently supporting SCO in its lawsuit over Linux, giving away Vista
>loaded laptops and all expenses paid trips to visit Billy boy, etc to
>bloggers to encourage them to write favorably on Vista and to 'run
>down' the opposition.
>
>If 'the other side' and its acolytes lay off Linux, then Linux fans
>will quickly forget about them.

Oh, come on. So the fact that MS promotes Vista by giving away a few
laptops and trips gives the Linux vealots open license to post their
bullshit lies and FUD about it?

Whatever.

I'm a Windows and Linux user, believe it or not. However you mostly
see me making pro-Windows posts here in response to the desperate
trolling by certain Linux zealots who post, in my opinion, what
amounts to lies. A certain one spends all day trying to find negative
"reviews" about Vista (mostly from Linux sites) as part of a
coordinated attempt by a certain faction of Linux geeks to scuttle
Vista before it is released, as they know it is a major breakthrough
in desktop OSs and will leave their beloved but clunky and prehistoric
desktop OS for dead.

Linux is fantastic when used to it's strength, for instance web
servers, firewalls, etc. Windows is fantastic when used to it's
strength, for instance a desktop tool, and a Windows network server.
One is not the bees knees for everything, and anyone who tries to say
it is is a fool.

There are no shortage of fools here, and yes, most are Linux geeks.

El Chippy

"Chris Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Unless I'm playing Windows specific games, like Far Cry, I boot
> W2K Pro as a virtual machine in vmplayer. I can still do my
> AutoCAD learning in that, and its still quite fast. Since I
> run beryl with latest nvidia drivers in linux I can make
> Windows do the wobbly window trick...

Interesting.. which version of Autocad are you running? and waht sort of
specs does your machine have?

I've never played with vmplayer or VMware.. how do i go about running
windows xp as a vm under linux?

And do you know how Diablo2 would run in vmware?

It appears that D2 is supported by cedega but im not keen to spend $$$ until
i can find someone that can confirm this.

Shane

El Chippy wrote:

> I've never played with vmplayer or VMware.. how do i go about running
> windows xp as a vm under linux?
>
> And do you know how Diablo2 would run in vmware?
>
> It appears that D2 is supported by cedega but im not keen to spend $$$
> until i can find someone that can confirm this.

Why not download VMWare yourself and try, it will cost you nothing but time,
bandwidth and disk space

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

--
Bender: Gee whiz, Santa. You want me to help you?
Fry: [to Bender] Don't do it! He's evil!

blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

steve

Bobs wrote:

> I mean, seriously. I just popped in here to see what's going on in the
> world and all I can see splashed everywhere is how great linux is and
> how much Vista sucks (which hasn't even been released yet, so not sure
> what they're basing it on).

Vista has been released.

Yes, many more people here 9and elsewhere) now use Linux than ever before.

Thank you for noticing.

> I honestly think that some people here burn copies of linux to disc and
> have sex with it.

That would be one more silly thing you claim to think.

> Please, a gentle reminder. WINDOWS AND LINUX ARE COMPUTER PROGRAMS.
> They aren't worth getting all riled up about. They can co-exist.

So what are you upset about?

--
Only boring people are bored.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Fri, 29 Dec 2006 14:47:18 +1300 when I remembered steve

>> I mean, seriously. I just popped in here to see what's going on in the
>> world and all I can see splashed everywhere is how great linux is and
>> how much Vista sucks (which hasn't even been released yet, so not sure
>> what they're basing it on).

>Vista has been released.

I've been using the RTM build for about a month now. I find it
awesome. It's just easy to do stuff. Things are detected, things work.
That's the best thing about it to date. I certainly would pick Vista
over Windows XP.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Aquilegia Alyssum

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:59:36 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

> Linux is fantastic when used to it's strength, for instance web
> servers, firewalls, etc. Windows is fantastic when used to it's
> strength, for instance a desktop tool, and a Windows network server.
> One is not the bees knees for everything, and anyone who tries to say
> it is is a fool.

Linux works just fine as a desktop.

Current uptime on my desktop box is: 19 days.

Current session - logged in since 17th Dec, and at least one of the
desktop applications that I'm using has been running consecutively since
17th Dec.

How many Windows users can claim that sort of reliability of their desktop
software - or, <sniggaaaar>, even of M$ Windows!

Aquilegia Alyssum

--
MS Windows Vista - broken by design
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...vista_cost.txt

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

El Chippy wrote:
> "Chris Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>>Unless I'm playing Windows specific games, like Far Cry, I boot
>>W2K Pro as a virtual machine in vmplayer. I can still do my
>>AutoCAD learning in that, and its still quite fast. Since I
>>run beryl with latest nvidia drivers in linux I can make
>>Windows do the wobbly window trick...

> Interesting.. which version of Autocad are you running? and waht sort of
> specs does your machine have?

AutoCAD 2000, and its an Athlon64 3000+, with GeForce 6800GS AGP
graphics card, and 1GB RAM...no slug, but not totally high-end.
Its running 32-bit SuSE 10.1...

> I've never played with vmplayer or VMware.. how do i go about running
> windows xp as a vm under linux?

Easy. Just follow these instructions...

http://linux.wolphination.com/?p=18

> And do you know how Diablo2 would run in vmware?
>
> It appears that D2 is supported by cedega but im not keen to spend $$$ until
> i can find someone that can confirm this.

I wouldn't hold your breath about Diablo in vmplayer. It seems
that basic OpenGL stuff is fine, but anything that requires a
newer Direct3D seems to have trouble.

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Matty F

Bobs wrote:
> I mean, seriously. I just popped in here to see what's going on in the
> world and all I can see splashed everywhere is how great linux is and
> how much Vista sucks (which hasn't even been released yet, so not sure
> what they're basing it on).
>
> I honestly think that some people here burn copies of linux to disc and
> have sex with it.

Of course they do. What else did you think the hole in the middle of
the disc was for?

Chris Lim

Matty F wrote:
> > I honestly think that some people here burn copies of linux to disc and
> > have sex with it.

> Of course they do. What else did you think the hole in the middle of
> the disc was for?

Thank you for that wonderful mental image.

El Chippy

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:39:44 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> El Chippy wrote:
>>
>> Interesting.. which version of Autocad are you running? and waht sort of
>> specs does your machine have?

> AutoCAD 2000, and its an Athlon64 3000+, with GeForce 6800GS AGP
> graphics card, and 1GB RAM...no slug, but not totally high-end.
> Its running 32-bit SuSE 10.1...

Hmmm, i will have to give this a go with autocad 2007 and inventor to see
how it goes. My needs are fairly basic, so hopefully wont tax my system
too much.

>> I've never played with vmplayer or VMware.. how do i go about running
>> windows xp as a vm under linux?

> Easy. Just follow these instructions...
>
> http://linux.wolphination.com/?p=18

Excellent, i will have a go at this sometime in the new year when i have
recovered from the inevitable celebratory over-indulgence.

> I wouldn't hold your breath about Diablo in vmplayer. It seems that
> basic OpenGL stuff is fine, but anything that requires a newer Direct3D
> seems to have trouble.

It is listed as fully supported under wine so i will try to get that going
once i find my install disks.

It seems i may be able to avoid running XP again in the near future,
unless i decide to break out some other games.