Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Interesting......

Interesting......

steve

Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.

Not supported....

Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, steve wrote:

> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
>
> Not supported....
>
> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

Yes, but they don't buy any new software or hardware.

Rob

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
>
> Not supported....
>
> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

MS do this all the time too. The newest version of windows media player only
works on XP, and not windows 2000 or earlier. Apple are just as bad as MS
when it comes to only releasing new software for the latest versioins of
their operating systems.

Aquilegia Alyssum

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:42:01 +1300, steve wrote:

> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
>
> Not supported....
>
> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

And it's only 3 releases behind the most recent one available to
"consumers".

But given that not even M$ is supporting WinNt5.0 any more and WinNT5.1 is
about to be replaced with WinNT6.0...

Ever wondered why Micro$oft always takes so many attempts to actually
release useable software?

Micro$oft took 3 attempts to produce Win3.x (lets not count the previous
versions which are best forgotten about), 3 attempts to get Win4.0 right,
2 attempts to get Win4.1 right, 4 attempts to get WinNT4 right, only
released one version of WinNT5.0 - quickly followed by 3 attempts to
get WinNT5.1 right.

How many versions of M$ Vi$ta will be released before it's settled down?

Aquilegia Alyssum

--
MS Windows Vista - broken by design
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...vista_cost.txt

Earl Grey

steve wrote:
> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.

Omigod

> Not supported....

The last version to work on 9x was released on 09/06/05
http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...orwindows.html

> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

And the old version of Quicktime.

Earl Grey

Rob wrote:
> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
>>
>> Not supported....
>>
>> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.
>>

> MS do this all the time too. The newest version of windows media player only
> works on XP, and not windows 2000 or earlier. Apple are just as bad as MS
> when it comes to only releasing new software for the latest versioins of
> their operating systems.

And not releasing them for linux at all !!!
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh !!!!!

steve

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, steve wrote:
>
>> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
>>
>> Not supported....
>>
>> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

> Yes, but they don't buy any new software or hardware.

.....and can't.

steve

Rob wrote:
> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
>>
>> Not supported....
>>
>> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

> MS do this all the time too. The newest version of windows media player only
> works on XP, and not windows 2000 or earlier. Apple are just as bad as MS
> when it comes to only releasing new software for the latest versioins of
> their operating systems.

I found it interesting because I resurrected an old video-capture device
(Pinnacle PCTV USB) that works perfectly well....but isn't supported on
WinXP. But it runs REALLY well on a PIII-866 with 384MB of RAM.....a
much more powerful machine than it was intended for in 1998/9.

So I had to install Win98SE fresh....and apply the updates and locate
the drivers for the various bits of hardware (video, sound, mouse, ZIP
drive, DVD drive)

It's all set up now and being a fresh and simple install for a specific
purpose, it's reasonably stable. It may only crash two or three times in
a given session of video composing, but I save the projects often and
the re-boots typically take less than 1 minute.

But it has been interesting to discover what I can NOT install on it....

steve

Earl Grey wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.
>>>
>>> Not supported....
>>>
>>> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.
>>>

>> MS do this all the time too. The newest version of windows media
>> player only works on XP, and not windows 2000 or earlier. Apple are
>> just as bad as MS when it comes to only releasing new software for the
>> latest versioins of their operating systems.
>>

> And not releasing them for linux at all !!!
> Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh !!!!!

They don't have to.

WINE sees the major MS apps (Office, in particular) running just fine on
Linux.

steve

Earl Grey wrote:
> steve wrote:
>> Win9x users now can't install the latest version of Apple Quicktime.

> Omigod
>>
>> Not supported....

> The last version to work on 9x was released on 09/06/05
> http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...orwindows.html
>>
>> Yet millions of machines still run win9x.

> And the old version of Quicktime.

Where can you get that from? Apple didn't appear to offer it.