Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NiMH Battery Question / Observation

NiMH Battery Question / Observation

steve

I recently bought a SONY DSC-HS5 digital camera. It uses NiMH AA
batteries - 2500 mA.

I have a couple of dozen Everyready NiMH AA 2500mA batteries, so didn't
buy the additional SONY version batteries offered. I have one pair.

Looks like I should have bough them.

The freshly-charged, Everyready NiMH AA batteries barely last 15 minutes
in the camera, even NOT using the LCD display, while the SONY batteries
last about 2 hours.

If the SONY batteries are less 8 times the price of the Everyready
batteries, they will be better value overall for any similar purpose.

Must find out the price.

Anyone else found such a large discrepancy in "stamina"?

J Brockley

news:458cc138$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently bought a SONY DSC-HS5 digital camera. It uses NiMH AA
>batteries - 2500 mA.
>
> I have a couple of dozen Everyready NiMH AA 2500mA batteries, so didn't
> buy the additional SONY version batteries offered. I have one pair.
>
> Looks like I should have bough them.
>
> The freshly-charged, Everyready NiMH AA batteries barely last 15 minutes
> in the camera, even NOT using the LCD display, while the SONY batteries
> last about 2 hours.
>
> If the SONY batteries are less 8 times the price of the Everyready
> batteries, they will be better value overall for any similar purpose.
>
> Must find out the price.
>
> Anyone else found such a large discrepancy in "stamina"?

Had four Everyready 2500 which seemed to be stuffed after a couple of uses.
Might be worth looking at Sanyo eneloop batteries, bit less capacity but
long shelf life.

steve

J Brockley wrote:

> Had four Everyready 2500 which seemed to be stuffed after a couple of uses.
> Might be worth looking at Sanyo eneloop batteries, bit less capacity but
> long shelf life.

Having now been trying to use these for while now, I have a theory that
says Eveready (I wrongly spelled it "everyready") have little interest
in providing quality rechargable batteries as they make a lot more money
on the use-once-throw-away versions.

No one who makes dispoable batteries will be much interested in
providing good, inexpensive rechargables.

The SONY NiMH batteries are the first time I have actually a BIG
difference between two supposedly comparable batteries in the same format.

They may well be made by Eveready, but to a spec required by
SONY.....which by itself would be interesting if it were the case.

Peter Huebner

In article <458cc138$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Anyone else found such a large discrepancy in "stamina"?

I bought a set of Everready 2500s with charger when they first came out. A week
later I took them back and asked for my money back. They just wouldn't hold a
charge. After a lot of groaning and moaning and ****ing around by the Warehouse
staff I got the dosh, too, with the admonition not to try and buy the same
product from them ever again -- like I was going to, eh!?!

Generally speaking my experiences with everready are that they must be
dyslexic: they've left out the initial N.

My recently acquired Varta 2200 mAh batteries seem good. The Powerex that I
have had for some 6-8 years now are starting to wear out.

-Peter

thingy

steve wrote:
> J Brockley wrote:
>
>> Had four Everyready 2500 which seemed to be stuffed after a couple of
>> uses.
>> Might be worth looking at Sanyo eneloop batteries, bit less capacity
>> but long shelf life.

> Having now been trying to use these for while now, I have a theory that
> says Eveready (I wrongly spelled it "everyready") have little interest
> in providing quality rechargable batteries as they make a lot more money
> on the use-once-throw-away versions.
>
> No one who makes dispoable batteries will be much interested in
> providing good, inexpensive rechargables.
>
> The SONY NiMH batteries are the first time I have actually a BIG
> difference between two supposedly comparable batteries in the same format.
>
> They may well be made by Eveready, but to a spec required by
> SONY.....which by itself would be interesting if it were the case.

I dont know what size you are using but I have found the DSE orange
re-chargables ones ones pretty good.

DSE might also sell the genuine Sony ones as well....

regards

Thing

steve

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <458cc138$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> Anyone else found such a large discrepancy in "stamina"?
>>

> I bought a set of Everready 2500s with charger when they first came out. A week
> later I took them back and asked for my money back. They just wouldn't hold a
> charge.

Reading what you say, I realise I've seen the same thing.

With the NiCads, I was in the habit of charging them up and throwing
them in the drawer for later use....in a week or a month. The NiMH's
always seem to have lost their charge when used and die quickly when
used this way.

I should keep a log and document charge / usage times to remove any
memory faults on my part.

I have found the DSE charger charges the batteries in 30% the time of
the EverReady charger.....which takes 15 hours!!!

> After a lot of groaning and moaning and ****ing around by the Warehouse
> staff I got the dosh, too, with the admonition not to try and buy the same
> product from them ever again -- like I was going to, eh!?!

LOL!

> Generally speaking my experiences with everready are that they must be
> dyslexic: they've left out the initial N.

I'll try some other brands....though one has to be careful as they may
just be re-badged Everyready batteries.

> My recently acquired Varta 2200 mAh batteries seem good. The Powerex that I
> have had for some 6-8 years now are starting to wear out.
>
> -Peter

I need to 2500 mAh. I have some high-drain stuff.

Richard

steve wrote:

> The freshly-charged, Everyready NiMH AA batteries barely last 15 minutes
> in the camera, even NOT using the LCD display, while the SONY batteries
> last about 2 hours.

In either case thats pretty dismal runtime, but then again digital
compacts generally do have pretty crap runtime compared with an slr

I have given up on the everready rechargables I have, they never last
the distance. The aaa's have replaced the cells in the cordless since
they are more suited to that, and I use the ones that came with the
cordless in my flashlights etc.

The AA's, well I was about to rebuild the pack for a really old
cellphone with them so I am ready to trade it next time that offer comes
up, last time they refused since it wouldnt turn on for long enough to
make a call.

~misfit~

steve wrote:
> Peter Huebner wrote:
> > In article <458cc138$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > Anyone else found such a large discrepancy in "stamina"?
> > >

> > I bought a set of Everready 2500s with charger when they first came
> > out. A week later I took them back and asked for my money back.
> > They just wouldn't hold a charge.

> Reading what you say, I realise I've seen the same thing.
>
> With the NiCads, I was in the habit of charging them up and throwing
> them in the drawer for later use....in a week or a month. The NiMH's
> always seem to have lost their charge when used and die quickly when
> used this way.
>
> I should keep a log and document charge / usage times to remove any
> memory faults on my part.
>
> I have found the DSE charger charges the batteries in 30% the time of
> the EverReady charger.....which takes 15 hours!!!
>
> > After a lot of groaning and moaning and ****ing around by the
> > Warehouse staff I got the dosh, too, with the admonition not to try and
> > buy
> > the same product from them ever again -- like I was going to,
> > eh!?!

> LOL!
>
> > Generally speaking my experiences with everready are that they must
> > be dyslexic: they've left out the initial N.

> I'll try some other brands....though one has to be careful as they may
> just be re-badged Everyready batteries.
>
> > My recently acquired Varta 2200 mAh batteries seem good. The
> > Powerex that I have had for some 6-8 years now are starting to wear
> > out. -Peter

> I need to 2500 mAh. I have some high-drain stuff.

This page is the last word on NiMH AA battery brands/performance. He used to
keep it really up to date but I see that he's been a bit slack lately:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Often it's the brand that's more important that the rating, they can vary
quite a bit, a trend which I would expect to see continue with the ones he's
yet to test. (See list at the bottom of the results chart)

Enjoy.
--
Shaun.

Peter Huebner

In article <458e8426$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> This page is the last word on NiMH AA battery brands/performance. He used to
> keep it really up to date but I see that he's been a bit slack lately:
>
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM
>
> Often it's the brand that's more important that the rating, they can vary
> quite a bit, a trend which I would expect to see continue with the ones he's
> yet to test. (See list at the bottom of the results chart)
>
> Enjoy.
> --
> Shaun.

If I read it right, his last test was over a year ago? What really puzzles me
is that he reports the Everready as the top runner, yet both Steve and I have
had dysmal results with them. On the other hand, a good local resource is
ecobatteries.co.nz (I bought a swag of Powerex and NexCell off him) and he says
the Everready are rebadged Sanyo (as are Sony and Kodak) and that the Sanyo are
right up there. Maybe it's the Everready chargers that are stuffed? Just a
thought...

... on the same topic, I am looking to change over to Li-Ion as the
opportunity arises. Don't see any Li-Ion AA cells around yet, though :-\

-P.

steve

Peter Huebner wrote:

> ... on the same topic, I am looking to change over to Li-Ion as the
> opportunity arises. Don't see any Li-Ion AA cells around yet, though :-\

I've seen them at DSE, but they typically aren't rechargeable and they cost
$30 for a pair of AA's.

Being throw-away batteries, they aren't THAT much better than a pair of
NiMH.

I have compensated for the relatively short life for each charge by having a
stack of them ready for frequent battery swaps. It still works out vastly
cheaper than constantly buying throw-away batteries!!

My first year with a digital camera (AGFA -> 199 I was headed for spending
over $2,000 / year on AA batteries for that alone.

Switching to NiCd's meant I had to change the batteries much more frequently
(every 20 minutes approx), but overall I spent a tiny fraction on batteries
in a year ($150 for about a dozen = 3 sets) of what I would have otherwise
spent.

--
Only boring people are bored.