Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Digital cameras

Digital cameras

Andrew Lambert

Im looking for a new camera
Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)

Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd is
flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines through them

I want something that has a decent optical zoom with image stabilizing.
Something that has a bit of manual features (adjusting shutter speed
etc) - just so i can play around, but ultimately good automatic settings

My last two canon products have broken within 2 years with a "common
fault" so im unsure about canon..

ive looked at the panasonic DMC-ZT1 i like the features, but it doesnt
have any manual settings at all
Also looked at the olympus SP 500 - But that doesnt have any image
stabilization

So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

Make sure that whatever camera you buy allows you to connect your
computer directly to the image card. That is, when the camera is
attached via the USB cable it comes up in your file manager just like
a HD would.

There are still quite a number of cameras on the market that
still require you to use the bundled software to access you images
unless you have a card reader.

Direct access allows you t6o use the image processing software of
your choice, rather than the barely adequate bundled software or
Microsoft's equally inadequate offering.

whome

"Andrew Lambert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:em4ej0$c55$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Im looking for a new camera
> Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
>
> Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd is
> flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines through them
>
> I want something that has a decent optical zoom with image stabilizing.
> Something that has a bit of manual features (adjusting shutter speed
> etc) - just so i can play around, but ultimately good automatic settings
>
> My last two canon products have broken within 2 years with a "common
> fault" so im unsure about canon..
>
> ive looked at the panasonic DMC-ZT1 i like the features, but it doesnt
> have any manual settings at all
> Also looked at the olympus SP 500 - But that doesnt have any image
> stabilization
>
> So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
> pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one
>
> Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Look at sony too.

I've got the dsc-p100 which is great, but the dsc-p200 has replaced it so i
guess that is even better.

I even accidentally dropped it on a concrete floor a few months ago and
after a couple of shakes it was fine. Pretty remarkeable considering they
are precision instruments.

Charles Foot

Andrew Lambert wrote:
> Im looking for a new camera
> Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
>
> Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd is
> flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines through them
>
> I want something that has a decent optical zoom with image stabilizing.
> Something that has a bit of manual features (adjusting shutter speed
> etc) - just so i can play around, but ultimately good automatic settings
>
> My last two canon products have broken within 2 years with a "common
> fault" so im unsure about canon..
>
> ive looked at the panasonic DMC-ZT1 i like the features, but it doesnt
> have any manual settings at all
> Also looked at the olympus SP 500 - But that doesnt have any image
> stabilization
>
> So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
> pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one
>
> Does anyone have any other suggestions?

If you can find a Fujifilm Finepix S5000 anywhere, grab it! 6.3 Mpx, 10X
optical zoom plus 2.2X digital, heaps of good features (auto and
manual). Should be able to find one cheap as it's since been superceded
by the S5500 which is a cut-down version of the S5000.

Andrew Lambert

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> Make sure that whatever camera you buy allows you to connect your
> computer directly to the image card. That is, when the camera is
> attached via the USB cable it comes up in your file manager just like
> a HD would.
>
> There are still quite a number of cameras on the market that
> still require you to use the bundled software to access you images
> unless you have a card reader.
>
> Direct access allows you t6o use the image processing software of
> your choice, rather than the barely adequate bundled software or
> Microsoft's equally inadequate offering.

Good point, My previous canon was good, it came up as like a removable
drive. The process was automated. Plug camera in. Photos automatically
copy to the correct location.

I dont typically use bundled software, however the canon software does
have some pretty cool features. Easy stictching (drag all the photos in,
Press stitch and it automatically joins them

Zipper

Andrew Lambert wrote:
> Im looking for a new camera
> Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
>
> Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd is
> flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines through them

That is interesting, my first digital camera was an a70 also. A great
camera but mine "died" with exactly the same problem you are having.
The screen flickered lots, sometimes would even just go blank and if i
took movies it would have all the flickering through it, but usually
9/10 photos would be ok, some would have lines through it.

> I want something that has a decent optical zoom with image stabilizing.
> Something that has a bit of manual features (adjusting shutter speed
> etc) - just so i can play around, but ultimately good automatic settings
>
> My last two canon products have broken within 2 years with a "common
> fault" so im unsure about canon..
>
> ive looked at the panasonic DMC-ZT1 i like the features, but it doesnt
> have any manual settings at all
> Also looked at the olympus SP 500 - But that doesnt have any image
> stabilization
>
> So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
> pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one

I bought the s2is about a year ago before the s3 came along, it has been
a great camera and the s3 should be pretty awesome based on that, but
you could probably pick up a s2 very cheaply now also.

> Does anyone have any other suggestions?

~misfit~

Zipper wrote:
> Andrew Lambert wrote:
> > Im looking for a new camera
> > Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
> >
> > Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd
> > is flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines
> > through them

> That is interesting, my first digital camera was an a70 also. A great
> camera but mine "died" with exactly the same problem you are having.
> The screen flickered lots, sometimes would even just go blank and if i
> took movies it would have all the flickering through it, but usually
> 9/10 photos would be ok, some would have lines through it.

Ok, this is worrying me now. I have an A70 and am very pleased with it. It's
been working perfectly. However, I've just replaced a DVD recorder that
died, my fridge/freezer and I "bought" a new lawnmower a few months back and
my credit is maxed ATM. I seriously hope that my A70 doesn't go the way of
these two. I've been really pleased with the camera to date and am hoping to
get a few more years out of it.

<fingers crossed>

Shaun.

P.S. Isn't that fault covered by an acknowledged problem and Canon will
reapair/replace even if out of warranty? I'll give ya $10 each for them. <g>

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3175
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digi...0_reviews.html
(On right side of page)
--
Shaun.

Zipper

~misfit~ wrote:
> Zipper wrote:
>> Andrew Lambert wrote:
>>> Im looking for a new camera
>>> Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
>>>
>>> Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd
>>> is flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines
>>> through them

>> That is interesting, my first digital camera was an a70 also. A great
>> camera but mine "died" with exactly the same problem you are having.
>> The screen flickered lots, sometimes would even just go blank and if i
>> took movies it would have all the flickering through it, but usually
>> 9/10 photos would be ok, some would have lines through it.

> Ok, this is worrying me now. I have an A70 and am very pleased with it. It's
> been working perfectly. However, I've just replaced a DVD recorder that
> died, my fridge/freezer and I "bought" a new lawnmower a few months back and
> my credit is maxed ATM. I seriously hope that my A70 doesn't go the way of
> these two. I've been really pleased with the camera to date and am hoping to
> get a few more years out of it.
>
> <fingers crossed>
>
> Shaun.
>
> P.S. Isn't that fault covered by an acknowledged problem and Canon will
> reapair/replace even if out of warranty? I'll give ya $10 each for them. <g>

Thanks I will chase it up. I just didn't even think about getting it
repaired as assumed it would be more expensive to repair the camera than
to buy a new one but will definitely contact canon nz now.

Seems it is a common fault though with that model and the tapping of the
camera does temporarily fix mine.

> http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3175
> http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digi...0_reviews.html
> (On right side of page)

-=rjh=-

Charles Foot wrote:
> Andrew Lambert wrote:
>> Im looking for a new camera
>> Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
>>
>> Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd is
>> flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines through them
>>
>> I want something that has a decent optical zoom with image
>> stabilizing. Something that has a bit of manual features (adjusting
>> shutter speed etc) - just so i can play around, but ultimately good
>> automatic settings
>>
>> My last two canon products have broken within 2 years with a "common
>> fault" so im unsure about canon..
>>
>> ive looked at the panasonic DMC-ZT1 i like the features, but it doesnt
>> have any manual settings at all
>> Also looked at the olympus SP 500 - But that doesnt have any image
>> stabilization
>>
>> So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
>> pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one
>>
>> Does anyone have any other suggestions?

> If you can find a Fujifilm Finepix S5000 anywhere, grab it! 6.3 Mpx, 10X
> optical zoom plus 2.2X digital, heaps of good features (auto and
> manual). Should be able to find one cheap as it's since been superceded
> by the S5500 which is a cut-down version of the S5000.

If you do find one of these, run like hell. Maybe you mean some other
model, AFAIK the S5000 was released mid 2003, has 3.1Mpx sensor (it
extrapolates to 6Mpx - how utterly pointless), no IS. It really is old
technology. It dates from a time when megapixels and zoom were the
features people judged cameras by; we've moved on from that.

I also had the misfortune to use a S5500 over a couple of weeks last
year; absolutely appalling startup time and the shutter lag makes the
camera almost unusable. At full zoom you really do need IS. Handling was
not good.

I've just experienced Fujifilm's appalling service department, too.
After a couple of months of being stuffed around, I eventually wrote a
nice email to the MD of Fujifilm in NZ, and got the matter resolved
within hours, but that should not have been necessary for a pretty
standard repair.

(They eventually replaced a 2.5 year old F420 with a F30 and I'm really
pleased with the outcome - camera tech has really moved along in that
time - huge displays, awesome battery life, low noise and high
sensitivity) The F30 really is a very nice little camera, with a large
degree of user control (aperture and shutter priority etc), but not in
the zoom range the OP is after.

I'd probably (despite my experiences) still consider a Fujifilm compact
or subcompact, (and pray it didn't break) but I'd stay away from their
zoom cameras.

Worth considering a Panasonic FZ3, 5 or 10 - they are all pretty cheap
if still available, and they have quite good handling, IS, reasonable
menu system and a degree of control.

I've got a LZ1, which has 4Mpx, 6x zoom, IS etc and it is OK, but
doesn't feel the same quality as the Finepix. (But hey, it only cost
~$200 new).

frederick

Zipper wrote:

> Seems it is a common fault though with that model and the tapping of the
> camera does temporarily fix mine.

From Canon US Website - perhaps you should contact the retailer that
you bought it from, or Canon NZ.

Service Notice: CCD Image Sensor Advisory (Updated Oct.31, 2006)

PowerShot A70
PowerShot A70

This Service Notice will update Canon U.S.A., Inc.'s previous CCD Image
Sensor Advisory, dated October 6, 2005.

It has come to our attention that the vendor-supplied CCD image sensor
used in certain Canon digital cameras and digital video camcorders may
cause the following malfunction: When the product is used in recording
or playback mode, the LCD screen and/or electronic viewfinder may
exhibit either a distorted image or no image at all. While reports of
this malfunction have been rare in the United States, we have determined
that it may occur if the product is exposed to hot and humid environments.

Notice of Additional Affected Products:
As a result of our continuing investigation of this malfunction, we have
determined that the 11 models listed below, in addition to the 16 models
listed in our Service Notice concerning this malfunction, dated October
6, 2005, may be affected.

Affected products:

- Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC,
ELURA 50
- Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*),
A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*),
S410(*), S500(*)

*Models added as of Oct.31, 2006

Malfunction:
It has been confirmed that the connecting parts of the internal wiring
of the CCD used in affected products may become disconnected, especially
if the affected products are stored or used in high-temperature and
high-humidity environments. If this occurs, the signal is not output
from the CCD normally in Shooting Mode, which may cause a distorted
image or the absence of an image. This malfunction can be confirmed on
the LCD monitor screen during shooting. The same malfunction also
appears on the recorded image.

Canon's Response:
Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon will
repair, free of charge, the products listed above exhibiting the
above-mentioned malfunction if Canon determines that the malfunction is
caused by the CCD image sensor. Canon will also cover the cost of
shipping and handling in connection with this repair.

U.S. residents are kindly directed to contact the Canon Customer Support
Center for further assistance at 1-800-828-4040. Support hours are
Monday thru Friday - 8:00 AM to 12:00 midnight; and Saturday 10:00 AM to
8:00 PM (all times EST). Alternatively, if electronic support is
preferred, please send your email to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

This information is for residents of the United States of America and
Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please
contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue, and
appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thank you for your support
and patronage of Canon product